Keeping the mosquitos at bay

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent mosquito attacks? Usually I use jungle formula but to be honest it never works. Being that I'm 4 month pregnant, i really want to avoid the bites at all costs if possible.

Any ideas? Does that marmite trick really work? Or is there a great product on sale in POP ... unfortunately my husband is of no use as being a native he never gets bitten ... ha ha ha just wait now he's been out of the country a while I bet that changes!!!

Many thanks in advance

Em xx;)

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Avon "Skin so Soft" works well for most folks. It isn't toxic & smells ok. Use a big mosquito net over your bed at night. What on earth is the "Marmite trick"!? Canadian Bob.

May 31, 2005
I use the regular skin repellant stuff. I have scented and no scented for when I wear perfume. I have used many different brands that usually buy at Walgreens or at Wal-Mart.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
For those that have gone Native, go get Repelente Deporte...it works and the new stuff doesn't smell so bad. We use it on the golf course....

You can get US brands like OFF at Supermercados like Nacional or POLA...

HB :D:D

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Skin so Soft works great for an hour or so, then must be reapplied. A bit of a pain, and it is very oily...hard to wash off. Deporte seems to be one of the best and lasts a few hours. I have also heard that people who eat LOTS of garlic don't get bit either!

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
Use (OFF)and light a bagon mozi smoke coil works great, but may still get one or two bites at night,im going for a net at night as well.

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
Pregnancy and DEET

CyaBye3015 said:
"Skin so Soft" is a joke, buy anything with DEET in it!

DEET will do the trick, but it is incredibly toxic.

Matter of fact, I just googled DEET and "pregnant women" and found this:

The insect repellant DEET (diethyltoluamide) is among the most effective at keeping bugs from biting; however, its safety during pregnancy has not been fully assessed. If a pregnant woman uses DEET, she should not apply it to her skin. Instead, she should place small amounts on her socks and shoes and outer clothes, using gloves or an applicator to avoid contact with her fingers.

So, be careful. A few bites arent that bad.

May 31, 2005
I went to get my bottle. It is Cutter Advanced Insect Repellent. It comes with a new active ingredient called Picaridin. It does not contain Deet. I apply it once and it works the entire day. Unless I of course wet my skin.

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
I did wonder if using OFF ,which contains deet ,had any long term problems to ones health.Mabee Hillbilly or someone long term in the dominican republic can inform us all !

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Have read that a minimum dose of 100 mg of Vitamin B could work. Also, one should avoid scented personal products that attract the mosquito. Cintronella candles and oil. Coconut soap and coconut oil. Dinner with lots of garlic -- like vitamin B1, am reading it will secrete through the pours.

With this being summer time, it is good to know.

See http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Urban/repel.htm

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I can't believe that any of you would tell a pregnant woman to use either DEET or any 'Baygon' product.

DEET's normal problem for non-pregnant people is in the form of an overdose from too many reapplications. I've gotten sick while using DEET in a concentrated form while deer hunting during warm weather with lots of biting flies.

Baygon in any other country is specifically labelled "DO NOT USE INDOORS", and things like "AVOID EXPOSURE TO SPRAY MIST OR SKIN CONTACT".

One cure that works (sometimes) is to rub on natural vanilla , (not the imitation stuff) - this has worked for me with some types of mosquitos, but no, not all.

If you are living in your own house, why don't you buy screens? That's the best solution, but not many folks here in the DR have them. Even if it's only for the windows in your bedroom, and you keep the door closed. I paid about RD$400 per window to get screens on all of your windows, and it was worth it.

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
Thanks you all!

Thanks all. I have asked my doctor about DEET products and was told it was OK to use!!!! NOW I'M SCARED!:ermm:

The marmite trick is to eat it twice per day on toast, it contains Vitamin B and apparently the little b45t***s can't stand it ;) Worth a try ... at least I'm one of those who like marmite LOL

Will be staying in a hotel so screens are out ... usually I can handle a few nibbles but just a bit more cautious about infections what with being pregnant.

Could try the garlic trick ... downside though it might ward off my husband :cheeky:

Just looked up the situation on Jungle Forumula and found the following (it contains 50% DEET)

"Can Jungle Formula be used by pregnant women?
Yes, apply to exposed arms and legs, not directly to the abdomen, which should be covered with clothing.

Which Jungle Formula product should I use if I am visiting a country where malaria is endemic?
When visiting any country with a risk of insect transmitted disease, you should use a product from the Extra Strength range, which all contain 50% DEET."

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
yo tambian ! very concerned ,i used off/bagon for over 6 months,gringocarlos whats the prognosis long term use ,do you know!!!!! i did wonder about long term usage.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
As a geologist for 45 years I often had to use deet products on my hands & legs. I used lots of it... I now have NO feeling in my hands & from the knees down, because the insulation around the nerves has broken down.... Maybe it was the deet??? Too late now! BUT, the best remedy for mosquito bites is called "AFTERBITE" It is a pen sized applicator with a felt tip. The chemical is a weak solution of ammonia, which immediately stops the itch. They are widely available in most Canadian Tire stores & pharmacies. Good luck! Canadian Bob.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
What Health Canada has on DEET

CBC MARKETPLACE: HEALTH ? DEET

DEET tips and facts
Broadcast: April 1, 2003 | Reporter: Wendy Mesley; Producer: Greg Sadler; Researcher: Marlene McArdle
<<main page

For detailed information on Health Canada's recommendations on the use of DEET, go to Health Canada's website on personal use of insect repellents.

Using DEET on children
Note: the following information is from Health Canada.

Although current labels on insect repellents containing DEET state that these products are not to be used on children under the age of two years (infants or toddlers), in light of the PMRA's re-evaluation of DEET, which included input from the Canadian Pediatric Society, it is now recommended that:
on children under six months of age insect repellents containing DEET still not be used
on children aged six months to two years the use of one application per day may be considered in situations where a high risk of complications from insect bites exist - the product be applied sparingly and not be applied to the face and hands; only the least concentrated product (10% DEET or less) should be used; prolonged use be avoided
on children between two-12 years of age, the least concentrated product (10% DEET or less) be used and that it be applied no more than three times per day

Using DEET on adults

Products containing no more than a 30 per cent concentration of DEET will normally provide adults with sufficient protection. Studies have shown that products with lower concentrations of DEET are just as effective as the high concentration products, but they remain effective for shorter periods of time.
30% DEET will provide 6.5 hours of protection
15% DEET will provide 5 hours of protection
l0% DEET will provide approximately 3 hours of protection
5% DEET will provide approximately 2 hours of protection

Products that contain DEET and di-n-propyl isocinchomeronate (MGK Repellent 326) or DEET and n-octyl bicycloheptene dicarboximide (MGK Synergist 264) do not appear to offer any added protection from mosquito bites in comparison to products that contain DEET alone, so their use could result in unnecessary chemical exposure.

There is no indication that there is a hazard to the unborn or nursing child associated with the use of DEET by pregnant or lactating women. However, there are non-chemical methods to reduce mosquito bites (protective clothing, avoiding mosquito habitat and times of peak mosquito activity) which could be considered.

Note: end Health Canada material.

Insect repellents containing more than 30 per cent concentration of DEET could still be available on retail shelves this summer. The products do not have to be phased out entirely until the end of 2004, so parents should read labels carefully.

Products containing a combination of sunscreen and DEET have been discontinued in Canada. But they are also still available at retail outlets until the end of 2003. Health Canada says these products are no longer acceptable because people tend to re-apply sunscreen and there is a danger of over-exposure to DEET.

Alternatives

There are alternative insect repellents available on the market. These include a number of oil-based repellents like citronella and lavender oil. Health Canada states that citronella and oil of lavender should not be used on children under two years of age. Another product which has recently been evaluated and approved by Health Canada is Soybean Oil.

Health Canada (Pest Management Regulatory Agency) is currently conducting a re-evaluation of the citronella and lavender oil.

If in doubt, parents can also contact their local Poison Control Centre for information on use of insect repellents containing DEET and other oil based products.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Here is some information about Baygon. Bulldog, it looks like you are fine, unless you eat Baygon with your marmite. Baygon is still not a nice product, but its effects look short -term. They have not tested it for cancer causing effects though.

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/metiram-propoxur/propoxur-ext.html

It still looks like wearing clothing to cover yourself, and a mosquito net (here in the DR this is called a 'mosquitero' and is used to cover babies cribs) are the best answers for anyone, pregnant or not.

G

gary short

When I was a kid I worked in the forests of British Columbia. The deet we used was industrial strength. I recall the repellant being 90% deet....I may be wrong but I recall it melting the plastic on my sunglasses.......I wouldn't advize using deet........maybe that explains the big toe growing out of my forehead!!!!!!!!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The absolute cure for mosquitos I believe ... drink no coffee or tea ... forever. And they will never bite you. ;) Apparently coffee and tea causes the blood to become more sweet or acid and that is why they bite you.

No idea if this is true, I just know that my little granddaughter who drinks no coffee or tea, and my son who never drinks these things never get bitten, and I do.

G

gary short

Ya...but...... if you don't drink four cups of coffee a day you you you can't drink alcohol excessively.....