Where would ex-pats relocate to?

Mar 21, 2002
If our worst fears came to fruition and the DR were to turn into a "Black Hawk Down" Somalia type country, where would you, the ex-pats relocate to?

Mar 21, 2002
I believe Robert is so obsessed with the DR he would stay in his hardened prepared bunker on the N. Coast. LOL, just kidding so please don't ban my thread.

Thanx-

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
What a question from a Dominican expat living in Miami!!!

Why the heck is Somalia such a bad place? The only 2 reasons that the US hates Somalia is that they don't know how to deal with another country without a central government. (and the Somalians have not had problems with their own system of self-government). The US keeps stirring up the schitt there because some of Somalia's citizens happen to be Muslim, which for people like Rumsfield, Condie, and GWBush translates into 'enemy'.

Oh yeah, the second reason is that the US got their ass kicked there, and then left.

If the US invades the DR, I plan on moving to Mao and growing onions. The soldiers will have plenty to keep them occupied in the big cities.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
GringoCArlos said:
If the US invades the DR, I plan on moving to Mao and growing onions. The soldiers will have plenty to keep them occupied in the big cities.
Welcome neighbor! I'll be growing garlic right next to ya ;) With a chicken or two, we'll eat up a storm!

If we have to leave here, we'll figure out a destination. I have no idea.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
GringoCArlos said:
Why the heck is Somalia such a bad place? The only 2 reasons that the US hates Somalia is that they don't know how to deal with another country without a central government. (and the Somalians have not had problems with their own system of self-government). The US keeps stirring up the schitt there because some of Somalia's citizens happen to be Muslim, which for people like Rumsfield, Condie, and GWBush translates into 'enemy'.
I thought nonsensical political rants were a no-no on DR1.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
GringoCArlos said:
What a question from a Dominican expat living in Miami!!!

Oh yeah, the second reason is that the US got their ass kicked there, and then left.

I doubt very much that the US would invade the DR for any reason nowdays. They could however provide (If requested) assistance to the Gov. in solving the criminality problem. If that means sending in troups and shooting a few people, I don't have a problem with that.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nowhere to go! So if things start to get reallybad, i'll go and shoot a few of the baddies to teach them not to be so bad...you know, hillbilly style, from about 300 yards away....the old hatfield and McCoy way//

But it will never come to that. Too many vested interests and too many sensible people.

HB :D:D

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Not,not,not!

The United States is not going to "invade" the Dominican Republic, they (the US military) are already there. As sensible people have posted, too many vested interests and too many Americans already living here. If something insane like that was to ever happen the prelude to the so called "invasion" would have to be so obvious. Such as but not limited to the US State Department issuing an evacuation order to all US citizens to get out.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
DominicanScotty said:
The United States is not going to "invade" the Dominican Republic, they (the US military) are already there. As sensible people have posted, too many vested interests and too many Americans already living here. If something insane like that was to ever happen the prelude to the so called "invasion" would have to be so obvious. Such as but not limited to the US State Department issuing an evacuation order to all US citizens to get out.
I hope this never happens. I think Leonel is starting to clamp down. This morning, the new Col. himself was investigating a series of "theft, robberies, attempted robberies etc." that occured in Sosua within the past few days. Still no confirmation on the alleged kidnappings and murder that occured near Sosua a few days ago.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Hey Eddy

Eddy said:
I hope this never happens. I think Leonel is starting to clamp down. This morning, the new Col. himself was investigating a series of "theft, robberies, attempted robberies etc." that occured in Sosua within the past few days. Still no confirmation on the alleged kidnappings and murder that occured near Sosua a few days ago.

Thanks for that info. I am on the phone nearly everyday with the Dominican Republic and did not hear anything about these crimes.
I sent you a PM.

Mar 21, 2002
GringoCArlos said:

LOL, you forgot the carrots.

Mao is nice, quaint and quiet. The beautiful rice fields which sway in the cool wind as a river of grass. The calm friendly people and the mountains in the background to ease any tensions away. Why live anywhere else? Well maybe in La Cordillera Central.

Unlike the capital which is composed of millions of smelly, carcasses seething with putrefying sweat dripping to form pools of stagnant waters which flow into the Rio Ozama and is recycled for public use by it's inhabitants.

Hahaha, dramatic huh but true. Well kinda, LOL

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
DominicanScotty said:
Actually,

It's in the US best interest to keep the DR stable and growing economically.

Otherwise PR will get flooded with people and from there reach the mainland.

Cuba will be flooded with people (since once Haiti's lifeline which is the DR erodes so too will what ever is left of Haiti) and from there they can get the Cubans to convert those 1950s cars into floating boats (like a group of cubans did a few years ago, that was really something!)

Oh and all those millions invested in tourism?

The DR is the fifth largest trading partner of the US in Latin America (as unbelievable as it may seem, but its true).

The DR will not go the way of Somalia.

Also keep in mind we are only considering US not letting the DR melt. There are plenty of people from the Eurozone and the UK on the island which is the other superpower with a vested interest in the DR.

The DR will be fine for years to come.

What types of threads are these with their doom and gloom projections????

-NALs

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Eddy said:
Actually, the Dominican police has been doing quite a job investigating and capturing assailants of violent crimes.

Better than I originally thought.

So why does it appear as if they are doing NOTHING on DR1?

Because SOME members only get the itch of posting news clips about a crime happening BUT THEY NEVER GET THE ITCH TO POST ABOUT THE POLICE INVESTIGATING AND CAPTURING SUSPECTED ASSAILANTS.

For example, you know the girl who was killed in Santiago lately?

Well, the police resolved the investigation in a mere 72 hours. The assailants were José Armando de la Rosa Díaz, Amaury Germán Tavárez Peralta, Angelo Iván Ventura Herrera, and Ricardo Alejandro Reyes Martínez.

The newspaper also mentions the following: "Manifestó que de lo que se trata es de una reducción en la criminalidad pese a la percepción de que la misma se mantiene igual a otros años, en que era de un 24 por ciento."

In English, its basically saying that what has actually occured has been a decrease in crime, EVENTHOUGH PUBLIC PERCEPTION IS THAT IT HAS REMAINED THE SAME AS IN PREVIOUS YEARS.

I always ask myself the question why those DR1ers who love to post reports of crimes and links to newsarticles almost always fail to follow up on the story, ESPECIALLY WHEN THE STORY TURNS OUT TO BE POSITIVE AS THIS ONE. Despite that, it's still tragic what happened to Vanessa, but at least Justice is being done!!!

Why do many DR1ers (especially a handful of "paisanos") not follow up on their stories???? Because they simply like to sensationalize and scare people away from the DR. Their actions are crystal clear.

Here is the complete story in Spanish: http://www.elnacional.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=56733

-NALs

Last edited:

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Hold on a minute, take a deep breath...

Okay, let?s get back to the original question. I believe that the Somalia reference was hypothetical, and simply used as an example?.but as usual, a lot of folks took off in that ?nether? direction with their drawers in a knot.

I have been thinking along those same lines lately, relocating that is. This is not to say we would?.we love the DR, but it doesn?t hurt to keep your options open. Panama, Paraguay, Venezuela and the Philippines were mentioned. Why those places, and what do they offer that?s any better than here?

Dianne

You can tell I?m bored?..I?m posting.

Mar 21, 2002
D & D said:
Okay, let?s get back to the original question. I believe that the Somalia reference was hypothetical, and simply used as an example.

Of course, it was an example which Gringo Carlos didn't understand. Let's say Somalia is/was depicted as such in Black Hawk Down. If the DR would reach that movie's rendering, what would the ex-pats do? Rambo perhaps to stay in their beloved DR.

Of all the 3rd world countries to pick from, how did the ex-pats pick the DR?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
O & C, I understood perfectly. That is why I answered 'Mao'. I added my comments about Somalia, because people like you who are living in 'that' country usually have a hidden agenda. Mine is NOT. I love the DR.

YA.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Dove andate?

Because of many a reason, I'm still residing in the US. But if I ever moved back to mi bella Quisquella and things got really hairy, there are two very stable, lovely nations that I would explore the possibility of moving to: Costa Rica and Argentina. As Latin countries go, they have some of the better economies and they take good care of their environment. Their people are also highly educated.
But I doubt DR will get so bad as to resemble a Haiti. Once the electricity problem is solved, investment Dollars and Euros will flow like a mighty river that will create many thousands of jobs for every level of society. Trade with the US, Canada and Europe may even double or triple.
Better economy=better services. (no more thrash). I'm willing to bet things will get much better before they get much worse.
The invasion will come in the form of a horde of geezers wanting to retire to our lovely island.:paranoid: