Where can I buy a roll of honest to god "BALONA"?

Caribee

Mar 22, 2003
Soy un pabre camposino de El Cupey.......but born in Kentucky:rolleyes:
AND......I sure do miss what the PO FOLKS in the US of A eat a lot of.....
"Bolony Sandwiches".......LOL Elevendy different kinds of Salami just don't get it for me! Surely some German meat grinder sausage maker out there knows the formula!

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Sorry Caribee but 10 years here I haven't seen it yet. Maybe one of the other members has. Good luck.

Rick

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is funny!! I saw some in the Nacional supermarket, but i havenot seen it since. here is is called Salami de Bologna.

Maybe we should take a trip to Santo Domingo and see?? I'll check here.

HB :D:D

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Lloyd, are you getting nostalgic? are you missing those peanut butter and baloney sandwiches from grade school days? You can get all you want at the supermercado National in Bella Vista Mall in SD. I live a block and half away. I can get you some, and send it to you via courier...

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
What?

Caribee said:
"Bolony Sandwiches".......LOL Elevendy different kinds of Salami just don't get it for me! Surely some German meat grinder sausage maker out there knows the formula!
What in hell is a BALONA and who would want to eat it?.

G

gary short

Why Miguel.....it's ground up lips and a$$holes. My mother was a cruel cold hearted woman but at least I got tuna sandwiches and not Bologne

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Caribee said:

You will not find boar's head..... maybe a German butcher can help you in the best quality available?

And when you do find quality.... it will be a lot better than non-imported STEAKS cooked medium rare, and still taste like shoe leather.

Happy hunting.;)

May 12, 2005
Caribee said:

Just have someone from the states mule it down with them on their next trip.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Frank the Tank said:
Just have someone from the states mule it down with them on their next trip.

NO MULE NEEDED, inhouse products will due just fine.... far better quality .:eek:

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
The German butcher up on the hill in Sosua has it. Just about anything you buy there is yummy. Bought half a smoked ham there last Easter that was wonderful. They also have a lunch and early dinner special (no real menu) that is always good and inexpensive to boot.

Dianne

Caribee

Mar 22, 2003
D & D said:
The German butcher up on the hill in Sosua has it. Just about anything you buy there is yummy. Bought half a smoked ham there last Easter that was wonderful. They also have a lunch and early dinner special (no real menu) that is always good and inexpensive to boot.

Dianne

THANKS....Dianne......you made my day. I need to go to Sosua for a couple more things anyway. I'm not very familiar with Sosua yet. Could you possibly PM me driving directions from the direction of POP. I'll be the one in the white Isuzu followed by and shooting at the would be kidnappers. LOL

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Caribee... the German Butcher is on your right hand side, directly on the PP-Sosua Highway, just after you pass the Gas Station (on your left) and entrance to "El Batey". It's in a small plaza with a new video store and a BBQ Hut in front, just before a Big Car Wash...

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
More Than One

DavidZ said:
... the German Butcher is .....

There is more than one German butcher in Sosúa.
The one I recommend is Gerhard.

14imuc6.jpg

14imv87.jpg

m'frog

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
I only know of two, and these pictures don't seem fimiliar. Where is this one? Specific directions please, as I can manage to get lost in a shoe box. Between the two I know of, I like the one that's on the road going up the hill better than the one in the little plaza just past the turnoff. Can't remember the name of the road or the butcher, but someone is sure to know. Bought a huge pork loin roast and paid a pretty penny at the one in the plaza by the car wash awhile back and it was just a mite chewy (southern understatement).

Speaking of pork roasts, I buy them at a place called Agrafem (sp?) on the right hand side of the highway about half way between the turn off for Villa Gonzalez and the big intersection just before Navarette. Two good sized yellow buildings with big fence. The meat shop is in the second building.

They'll trim them up anyway you want and the roasts are much cheaper than Nacional or the butcher shops. Never had a bad one. We usually keep one in the freezer. They also have bulk frozen chicken breasts and a bunch of other stuff. PM me if you need cooking directions for a pork roast. Very easy and most folks seem to like it.

Dianne