Vegetable gardening in SD?

GringaBachatera

Sep 26, 2003
Hi all,
Has anyone tried vegetable gardening in SD? About now I?m craving heirloom tomatoes and really sweet corn and other farmers' market type products that I can't seem to find here. Has anyone had luck growing good corn and tomatoes? Anywhere, campo or ciudad? Has anyone seen good sweet corn or really good tomatoes being sold anywhere? Any tips are appreciated.
Thanks!

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Yes...my favorite subject! I made a little garden behind my house here in Santo Domingo: cherry tomatoes (10 or more /day), green and red peppers, hot peppers, lettuce, spinach, oregano, and started to grow: spaghetti squash, eggplant, baby melon, zucchini, carrots, radish, strawberries and rhubarb (not sure if these 2 will grow but I have a craving for strawberry / rhubarb pie). Some of the seeds I bought here in La Rinconera on San Martin (they have a large selection and the seeds are cultivated here) some of the others I bought on ebay and had them shipped, I buy the black soil in La Hortaliza on Churchill. The only problem that I’m having at the moment are the white flies eating up the leaves, I’m still on the look out for some non toxic product that I could use to kill the little bugs. Other than that, every thing grows very quickly but I have yet to try sweet corn.

GringaBachatera

Sep 26, 2003
Juanita,
I have been told that you can kill those bugs by mixing jabón de cuaba and jabón liquido de fregar and washing the leaves with that... every day. I had problems with those little white bugs when I tried growing peppers and tried the soap pesticide... I guess I wasn't diligent enough at washing them every day, because the bugs got the best of me.

What do you think would do well in pots on a fifth floor azotea? That's all the space I have, unfortunately (although I'm scoping out the veggie situation for the future!).

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I also tried many recipes with jabon, garlic and cayenne pepper but nothing worked. My pepper plants are about 20 inches high, the cherry tomatoes are over 12 feet long so it could be a problem, lettuce could be done in a long pot, spinach could work, herbs for sure!

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Nicotine will kill most bugs. I heard this from a guy last named Baker.

1. Get a hold of chewing tobacco or pipe tobacco, dump whole pack in a gallon of hot water. Let it sit until cool. Use a cup of this tobacco tea to mix it with one cup of ammonia, and one cup of regular mild dish soap (not concentrated). Mix all of these in a garden sprayer (the one you attach a hose to) and spray. Let the mixture stay on the plants for 5 to 10 minutes then rinse with regular water.

2. This concoction (due to the high nicotine content) supposedly kills most bugs to include the beneficial earthworms. So you decide. Also, do not overdue the soap as too much will burn the plants and rinse the plant thoroughly.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
ripleys

Stodgord said:
Nicotine will kill most bugs. I heard this from a guy last named Baker.

1. Get a hold of chewing tobacco or pipe tobacco, dump whole pack in a gallon of hot water. Let it sit until cool. Use a cup of this tobacco tea to mix it with one cup of ammonia, and one cup of regular mild dish soap (not concentrated). Mix all of these in a garden sprayer (the one you attach a hose to) and spray. Let the mixture stay on the plants for 5 to 10 minutes then rinse with regular water.

2. This concoction (due to the high nicotine content) supposedly kills most bugs to include the beneficial earthworms. So you decide. Also, do not overdue the soap as too much will burn the plants and rinse the plant thoroughly.

Just try flour, its cheap, and it clogs them up. It really works.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
bienamor said:
Just try flour, its cheap, and it clogs them up. It really works.
How does this one works?

I also heard of using a yellow plate with something sticky on it, the adult white flies love the yellow color. :bunny:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Yellow colour works for white flies......if you can get some clear packing tape, paint the non sticky side yellow the attach to short sticks with the sticky side out. Place sticks around plants infested with white flies and change as necessary. the flies land on the tape, get stuck and stay there so they can't mate or lay eggs.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Leafs

juanita said:
How does this one works?

I also heard of using a yellow plate with something sticky on it, the adult white flies love the yellow color. :bunny:

Just put it on the leaf just like 7 dust, which is a powder insecticide

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There's a lady in Santo Domingo who offers courses in urban rooftop gardening. Dolores and Pib are graduates, so contact either of them if you're interested.