House Plans Feet to Metric

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
If you have Excel on your computer use the "CONVERT" formula "=CONVERT(X,"ft","m")".

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Sorry, I did not explain my self. I know how to convert to metric.
I need to know if there is a computer program available that will convert every dimension for a computer generated set of house plans from a USA architect to metric.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
That is a big question. If you have a computer generated set of plans, surely the same program that made them, can be made to display in a metric format. How do you expect this to work? Do you have the plans on a disk? Do you have the program that made the plans?

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
My hope is to buy the metric program and sent that to the architect who has drawn the plans and has the "patent" for the plans. Then have him run the program against his plans to convert to metric. Then I can purchase eight sets of metric blueprints. Of course the text on the plans will still be in English so the whole effort may be for naught.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Most "blueprints" house drawings are generated using a program called AutoCad, or other CAD programs. CAD - computer aided design. What you need to know is what program was used to generate the drawings. After that you will need to know someone who has that program. The final step is just a few clicks to convert ALL measurements.

Your best bet would be to contact the person you purchased the plans from and ask for a metric copy.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
drtampa said:
My hope is to buy the metric program and sent that to the architect who has drawn the plans and has the "patent" for the plans. Then have him run the program against his plans to convert to metric. Then I can purchase eight sets of metric blueprints. Of course the text on the plans will still be in English so the whole effort may be for naught.

Ask the architecht/designer who made the plans originally. I'm sure his software already can display everything in metric notation.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
drtampa said:

Call the architect. Explain what you need and your problem is solved. You will probably have to pay extra for the new drawings. The cost should be no more than a fee for plotting the drawings.

Jan 5, 2006
Like others have posted, the program used by the architect has the ability to convert all measurements to metric.

A few other things that you need to keep in mind are: Are your plans for a wood structure, like most US plans? Do you have a structural plan (columns, rebar layout)? Do you have a plan for the electrical and plumbing? Do you have an architect and engineer that are licensed in DR to sign the blueprints for you prior to submission to obras publicas for approval?