elecrticity in Bani-Azua-Barahona

aos

Dec 10, 2003
Can anyone locally comment on the electricity situation in Bani but also in the cities of Azua, and Barahona. I am refering to the number of power/no-power hours per day and are the prospects improving for consistant reliable power.

caromoq

Jun 15, 2006
electricity

I'm interested in knowing the lights situation in the areas you mentioned as well. I can tell you to make a later comparison, in Jimani (about an hour from Barahona, two-three -depending how you drive-from Azua, then Bani) we are without the lights for about ten hours a day, every day, give or take a couple hours occassionally. The lights always go from 8am-12 or 1pm and then from 11pm or 12am - 3 or 4am, and sometimes a couple hours during the later afternoon.

aos

Dec 10, 2003
This is interesting to know. I visit this area whenever I travel to the DR and each time when I inquire about the electricity from the locals I am told that the situation is getting worse.
I thought there was a plan by the government to add power generating in the area but it seems to have be forgotten. Development west of Bani is no doubt adding to the strain on resources.
I was hoping that the picture would be improving. On the other hand however it stalls growth and keeps out rapid developement.
Any other news would be welcome.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
The population of most small towns and rural areas of Azua cannot afford to pay for electricity. The cost of the service to these indigent customers is currently being covered by Plan Social de la Presidencia. Service is very intermittent and only available when there is surplus on line after paying customers (larger towns) have been supplied. However, energy demand from cities (Bani, San Cristobal, and Santo Domingo) has priority, resulting in frequent blackouts for the entire province.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
If you are expecting the electricity situation to improve, don't hold your breath. The problem is cultural, political culture to be more specific. There are traditional vested interest in maintaining the current caotic and extremely costly system. All those directly involved in the business are making money, local and foreign owned generators, distributors, billing concessionaires, banks and financing institutions, and most importantly, our local politicians. The only big loosers are the general population including consumers and businesses...

aos

Dec 10, 2003
Thanks for an honest response. I was interested in locating my business in Bani but that has changed for sure. If the electricity situation will not change I won't waste time.