just curious

Status
Not open for further replies.

slblaw1

May 25, 2006
hi all
i was just wondering if anyone knew around about how much the salary is for animation workers? do the resorts hire people from other countries? do you need to speak more than one language other than english/spanish?
thanks

louisekilpatrick

Mar 18, 2006
I dont know about employment within the Animation teams, but I know that the pay is around ?150 GBP / US$ 277 / RD$ 9000

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
The countries they hire from and languages will depend on the resort. In the only resort I've been to most guests were Italian, all staff spoke Spanish and Italian, and there were a few Italian animation staff guys and girls as well. I kind of wonder whether they get the same pay as the Dominican animation staff though..

americangirl

May 30, 2006
louisekilpatrick said:
I dont know about employment within the Animation teams, but I know that the pay is around ?150 GBP / US$ 277 / RD$ 9000

Is that pay per month? That seems pretty low...no wonder they have to resort to Sankiehood....:cheeky:

Seriously though, I wonder the same thing, if the non-Dominicans get paid more. Where I went there were two English girls in the Aminimation team. I would think for them to go to another country to work, that they would have to make more than 277 a month.

louisekilpatrick

Mar 18, 2006
Cost of living is a lot lower in the DR. Still, this is a very low wage. Guess that is why they resort to bein sankies! Need some perks to do such a low paid job!

Dont take this as a fet figure, I was told this by a Sankie! and as I was goin through a very naive moment, I believed him!
Could just be one of a long list of lies he told!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
They all get paid the same, don't forget ROOM and BOARD is included.
I applied for an Animation position @ Chocolate Friends but did not get the job for some reason.

americangirl

May 30, 2006
Tamborista said:
They all get paid the same, don't forget ROOM and BOARD is included.
I applied for an Animation position @ Chocolate Friends but did not get the job for some reason.

I would think even with Room and Board paid for that they would make more money than that. That is so low, and they work their butts off. I mean they are up at 7am doing stuff at the beach and they do not sleep until after the disco teach is closed. Then they do the shows, and practices, etc. It seems like a lot of work...Plus they are excepted to speak more than one language. They have to be sankies...at 277US a month, they just have to be sankies...it is sad.

You would think places like Hilton and Melia resorts would have enough money to at least pay them 500-1000US a month.:(

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I really don't think that 9000/month is that low if you compare it with other jobs in the DR for which you don't need any formal education. This is a developing country, not the US or Europe. School teachers earn more or less the same. People that clean houses or work in stores earn three times less. And those do not all become sankies.... . So, no they do not 'just have to be sankies', and they are not the worst off people on the island. You might want to check out http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43363

Last edited:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Americangirl you seriously need to use the search feature at the upper portion of your screen and check out the average pay in this country and how much some of us live on here and how much different items cost here. Once you do that then you will be in a better position to rank about the low wages, as you see it, of the 'funny' people.

Rick

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
americangirl said:
I would think even with Room and Board paid for that they would make more money than that. That is so low, and they work their butts off. I mean they are up at 7am doing stuff at the beach and they do not sleep until after the disco teach is closed. Then they do the shows, and practices, etc. It seems like a lot of work...Plus they are excepted to speak more than one language. They have to be sankies...at 277US a month, they just have to be sankies...it is sad.

You would think places like Hilton and Melia resorts would have enough money to at least pay them 500-1000US a month.:(

THATS the amount they make for month but u have to remeber that they have no rent to pay , they dont pay for food cuz they eat at work, they dont pay for alchool , so every penny they get is theirs ive heard some of them make with tip included about 5000 to 7000 DR$ every 15 days and they normally get paid on the 15th and the 30th of the month ! so about 14000 DR$ a month wich would be about 466 US$ a month is pretty good knowing u have no rent, food or alchool to pay for and u get a lot of sex!

americangirl

May 30, 2006
bellissima_81 said:
THATS the amount they make for month but u have to remeber that they have no rent to pay , they dont pay for food cuz they eat at work, they dont pay for alchool , so every penny they get is theirs ive heard some of them make with tip included about 5000 to 7000 DR$ every 15 days and they normally get paid on the 15th and the 30th of the month ! so about 14000 DR$ a month wich would be about 466 US$ a month is pretty good knowing u have no rent, food or alchool to pay for and u get a lot of sex!

Yeah i guess you are right. They really have no bills to pay, and after reading the thread on what other people make in the DR, I can see that it is comparable.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
americangirl said:
Yeah i guess you are right. They really have no bills to pay, and after reading the thread on what other people make in the DR, I can see that it is comparable.

They sure have bills to pay, they have to support their mothers, wives/girlfriends, little brothers and sisters, etc.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
aww but

Rick Snyder said:
You know,,,,,,,, all those things that any normal spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend would do.

Think how much they make after adding on the amounts received via western Union or Sanky Banky:rolleyes:

americangirl

May 30, 2006
So, do all hotels have some form of the chocolate friends? Are they just normal dominican guys that learn how to dance and sing and stuff, or are they generally guys that are already interested in theatre and stuff....

Do you have to speak English before you can even apply?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
americangirl said:
So, do all hotels have some form of the chocolate friends? Are they just normal dominican guys that learn how to dance and sing and stuff, or are they generally guys that are already interested in theatre and stuff....

Most hotels have an animacion team made up of normal Dominican guys to keep the guests entertained in many ways :laugh:

Meaning, sports and games during the day and dancing and signing at the night show. More languages they know the better. Tourist come from all over the world not just English speaking countries. ;)

Ok Christa, trying to keep this on track cuz I don't need anymore of THOSE :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.