Poorest Santiago barrios

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While this is a very sad but true story, and certainly typical of most of Latin America, sadly enough, the answer to your initial question is the following:
Those that have Southeast Asian names, like Camboya, Vietnam, Peking, and those to the west of the city...
Formerly very poor areas, such as Pueblo Nuevo, Los Salados, Gurabito are now considered to be lower middle class...

HB :D:D

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
West of the city...wonderful people in these barrios

Hillbilly said:
While this is a very sad but true story, and certainly typical of most of Latin America, sadly enough, the answer to your initial question is the following:
Those that have Southeast Asian names, like Camboya, Vietnam, Peking, and those to the west of the city...
Formerly very poor areas, such as Pueblo Nuevo, Los Salados, Gurabito are now considered to be lower middle class...

I know a beautiful family in one of these very poor neighborhoods. The roads were destroyed by the drug dealers so that the police would not come in there (so the Dominicans living there have told me). Wrecked cars, the smell of raw sewage, flies everywhere, mud..cripes. But I go there anyway because good decent people live there. I also stay there in their little house. I am humbled by their life and it places everything into perspective when I start to complain about something. These wonderful people smile everyday and in return I too smile!

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Hillbilly said:

Has the change in status from poor areas to lower middle class came about because of goverment initiatives or from the private sectors or combination of both?