robbery-watchman responsible?

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
Just informed in NY that home broken into in the Dom Rep.Im expecting all sorts of "what could I do,theives held me up" from the watchman.Am I responsible for any liquidation pay upon his imminent firing?Could stolen goods be deducted from his pay?Unfortunately any story told in the Dom Rep. is usually not believable.Any help is appreciated.
ECM

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
eastcoastmike said:
Just informed in NY that home broken into in the Dom Rep.Im expecting all sorts of "what could I do,theives held me up" from the watchman.Am I responsible for any liquidation pay upon his imminent firing?Could stolen goods be deducted from his pay?Unfortunately any story told in the Dom Rep. is usually not believable.Any help is appreciated.
ECM

Nothng to worry about, if your watchman works for a licensed security firm, then your loss is covered by the company's insurance.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Unless you can successfully prove in court that he is responsible or involved in the crime, then you are responsible for his liquidation, should you choose to fire him.
Conversely, you would not have to pay.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you had been here when the robbery occurred and reported it immediately to the police, there is a very good chance that they would have brought the watchman in for questioning. It is generally understood here that watchmen are often involved in the crime against the property they are supposed to protect.

Getting a watchman who you can trust and who stays awake is very, very difficult. When you get one, you had better treat him right.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Ken said:
Getting a watchman who you can trust and who stays awake is very, very difficult. When you get one, you had better treat him right.
They would seem true with a "private" watchmen.

Is it any better with a watchman from a licensed security firm (as mentioned in Mirador's post)?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
rellosk said:
Is it any better with a watchman from a licensed security firm (as mentioned in Mirador's post)?
Whether you employ your own Watchman or use a Security firm, the quality of the employees is the same. You get what you pay for. The quality of a 6000 peso/month employee is what it is. The advantages of using a Security firm is you don't have to deal with Labor Law issues or have to arrange for coverage when the employee doesn't come to work.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Using a person to guard an uninhabited location doesnt seem like a good solution in the DR. Some type of electronic or mechanical mechanism seems much more reliable. Im not sure what the laws are for or against using deadly force against intruders but if it wasnt allowed I wouldnt own a house there if I wasnt there all year.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
rellosk said:
They would seem true with a "private" watchmen.

These people are paid peanuts and there is a huge turnover in personnel. Given long hours, low pay, and no benefits, they don't have any feeling of loyalty or job satisfaction. The main benefit of the companies is that they have insurance on their people so you get some protection in certain circumstances. But they wouldn't qualify for a job guarding Fort Knox.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
HOWMAR said:
Whether you employ your own Watchman or use a Security firm, the quality of the employees is the same. You get what you pay for. The quality of a 6000 peso/month employee is what it is. The advantages of using a Security firm is you don't have to deal with Labor Law issues or have to arrange for coverage when the employee doesn't come to work.
I would have thought that the companies would have done some pre-screening and possible background checks.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
rellosk said:
I would have thought that the companies would have done some pre-screening and possible background checks.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The turnover rate is such that they are glad to have bodies in uniform. I believe there is supposed to be some screening for those who have guns, but I recall reading something recently about many violations by the security companies of the rules about guns.

Mar 21, 2002
Ken said:
But they wouldn't qualify for a job guarding Fort Knox.

LOL, These guys can barely carry the shotgun they are issued. Sometimes they are promised food but at times it never comes. The uniforms have the company logo "peeling" away as it is. Sometimes they're underpaid by the firm or overworked and not paid as a result.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Onions&carrots said:
LOL, These guys can barely carry the shotgun they are issued. Sometimes they are promised food but at times it never comes. The uniforms have the company logo "peeling" away as it is. Sometimes they're underpaid by the firm or overworked and not paid as a result.
As we stray away from the OP's question, may I jump in here and point out that having a watchman, is a deterent to a certain degree, no matter if it's private or the company ones.
If a person is out of the country and needs his property watched, what choice does he have?
There is no perfect solution, but one could store the most "stealable" items at a friends house, perhaps leave a bit of sabotage behind, loud motion sensors, nasty dogs, etc.
As we are painfully aware that house break ins are so frequent, we could start inventing tricks, like, for instance, one could leave a weak point of entrance, like one door that has no bars, and when opened, a bucket of hydrochloric acid empties onto the perp's head, things like that.
I don't want to divulge all my tricks, but it might be food for thought.
This type of defense could be quite a deterent against future break ins.

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
I tried this last year, what a mess! The whole family is still angry at me.

For God's sake, man, what kind of bucket do you use ?

G

gary short

For The Love Of God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did You Melt The Whole Family........the Humanity.......dear Lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
law of unintended consequences

We've all seen that web pic of the "World's Ugliest Dog", that angry, fried-looking Chinese Chihuahua... ?

My fault, cheap bucket, I guess.

cork

Aug 23, 2003
guards

HOWMAR said:

I just got back from Dominican Watchman Notional. They charge a homeowner $19,000RD per month or $45.00RD per hour plus tax. Sedasa in Sosua charges $40.00 per hour plus tax. If the guards are making $3,000 to$5,000 per month, they should steal from their employer, not us.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
cork said:
I just got back from Dominican Watchman Notional. They charge a homeowner $19,000RD per month or $45.00RD per hour plus tax. Sedasa in Sosua charges $40.00 per hour plus tax. If the guards are making $3,000 to$5,000 per month, they should steal from their employer, not us.
They work a 176 hour month. 176 X 35 pesos=6160 pesos.. Your 19,000 is for how many shifts? 3,000 you quote is below minimum wage. Minimum wage is now in the mid 5000 range.