Cock Fights

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
How popular is cockfighting in DR? Is it a marginal event or is it firmly a part of Dominican culture? Can it be compared to bullfighting in Spain?

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
In the campo

tflea said:
drive out in the country on back roads sometime

As tflea has offered, cockfights can mostly be seen in the campo. Locally near Puerto Plata there is one in Sabeneta and Jamao. Then there are other smaller arenas found all through the campo. I went to one deep into the campo with the locals who are the most friendliest people. I was happy that my friend won some money.

Cockfights are not for the faint hearted, there is violence and deaths, sometimes the death are slow sometimes fast. Just a word of caution!

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Go out in the campo early on a Sunday afternoon, and ask whoever is standing around where the cock fights are. (just don't bring any women with you )

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Here in El Seybo you can find one any day of the week but Sunday is the major event here. It's a big sport throughout the DR.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Here's a picture of the old cock fighting ring of Los Charamicos Sosua...

14o3ygo.jpg

Here's a typical cock fighting ring scene...

14o40u8.jpg

Cock fighting is a popular motif for folk and contemporary art worldwide...

14o41dt.jpg

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Not just in the campo, there are peleas in Santo Domingo as well, not only in the Coliseo Gallistico, but also in small arenas. And yes, it's a terribly violent and bloody affair. Compared with bullfights in Spain, I think the biggest difference is that those are very popular with women as well, while women are completely absent from the cockfights in the DR, apart from those serving drinks.

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
I've read this thread out of curiosity rather than any desire to watch a cock fight (pictures and links were very informative - thanks!) I knew this kind of sport wouldn't be my "cup of tea" before I began reading (DominicanScotty: I have a feeling I'd be tempted to "jump the ring" to save the bird LOL!) but remained interested in learning about other countries and customs...I had NO IDEA the loser would be used for asopao!! ...there's "no way out" for the loser then...Thank you for an informative thread - it has allowed me to learn without having to attend something I know I wouldn't enjoy...especially loved the pictures!! Quick question: I am looking to take a tour that includeds a trip to a "cock fight farm"...I'm assuming that's just about seeing the birds and the vicinity minus any fighting - yes??? Thanking all, Emma :)

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
qgrande said:
Not just in the campo, there are peleas in Santo Domingo as well, not only in the Coliseo Gallistico, but also in small arenas. And yes, it's a terribly violent and bloody affair. Compared with bullfights in Spain, I think the biggest difference is that those are very popular with women as well, while women are completely absent from the cockfights in the DR, apart from those serving drinks.
Thanks for info to all. I might just go to one fight just out of curiosity. But not my cup of tea. Something I noticed from second picture by Mirador on post #7. On bottom row third from left I belive I see a "Mujer".I guess she must know someone or are things changing?

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Anyone wishing to understand the appeal and cultural significance of cockfighting should read Clifford Geertz's famous essay on balinese Cockfighting. Cockfighting is a major part of many cultures, but I think the dominican variety has its special charms. If you think it is bloody then you havent been to the Mexican fights. Dominican cockfights are rigorously controlled. It is a very important part of the culture here, and while you may not have heard anyone talk of it, chances are there is a gallera right near you and many a gallero too.

All this puritanical talk about the cockfights is rather silly. If you are interested, then go and watch them. It is not just blood and guts. You need to learn about what it is you are seeing before you can judge it. Btw, while it is rare for women to attend, they do sometimes. I have gone with my wife.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
bigbird, check the barrios, most have their own galleras. In Manganagua, for example the neighborhood gallera is located on Guacanagarix. That is one I go to from time to time because I have friends in the area. There are bound to be others, just ask the locals. ( You wont find them in Gazcue or Bella Vista, of course) The small arenas are the best in my opinion, more local flavor, but they are more fun in the campo if you happen to be out there. The Coliseo is something to see, big and clean, and the fights there are some of the best, so you may want to head there first.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Mujeres are not often seen at major arenas. True. this is the exception that proves the rule.
In terms of popularity, I'd say that there is not a town or village without at least one cock fighting arena. Perhaps one of the most deeply seated cultural and social traditions that spans all classes.

HB :D:D

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
A must see

For anyone traveling around Santiago area..... get a hold of H.B.;) the place he took me to God knows where? looked like a combination of elite trainers for the Derby and a plush structure as the Masters.;)

BTW.... thank you for that.;)

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
As I have posted

qgrande said:

Mostly but not soley in the campo!

Thanks

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Don't believe everything you read

thanatos said:
Thanks for info to all. I might just go to one fight just out of curiosity. But not my cup of tea. Something I noticed from second picture by Mirador on post #7. On bottom row third from left I belive I see a "Mujer".I guess she must know someone or are things changing?

The cockfights in Jamao are absolutely loaded with ....... errrrrrr, women? However, most of the women are there to dance and enjoy the tipico they also go into the arena to..... errrrrrrrrrrr watch the fights? I have several girlfriends that enjoy watching the cockfights.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Mujer del contador a su derecha.
(Ver el papaleo)
Ella esta aburrida!
Tantas vezes en este vaina de hombres

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Of course there might be a few women, the exception to the rule, or maybe more of there's a tipico next door. But the OP asked for a comparison with bullfights in Spain, and there it is much more normal for women to go. Not to see the fight of course, but because they like to watch those sexy toreadores. Another difference might be that within Spain there are protest movements against the 'sport', while I would be surprised if any Dominican 'ban the cockfights' movements existed.

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
I hope you didn't think I was being moralistic in my previous post macocael - my intention was not to be in judgement of anybody's culture at all. I'm just aware that I'm personally not good with anything "bloody" so would no doubt not enjoy seeing an acctual fight. I have all intention of visiting a cock farm and the buildings in which fights occur however ;-) I was merely thanking people for the information and photos as I found them interesting. I will search for the essay by Clifford Geertz on Google and see what it comes up with too - thanks for the tip :) Although anything bloody is not my "cup of tea" I'm certainly not a member of any "ban the cockfight" movement and apologise if I came across that way. Emma :-D