Asesinan a 47 personas en los ?ltimos 30 d?as en en provincias del Cibao

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Santiagohombre1 said:
What does everyone think about santiago? DOes everyone feel safe?
What is the motive of this thread in particular? Obviously its attempt to arise fear of Santiago since asking a question of "Does everyone feel safe" after an article pin pointing the number of murders commited in one month in the central region of the Cibao. Keep in mind that the Cibao is much more than Santiago and if one does a little simple math calculations you will find that the murders amounts to 1 person out of every 21,277 central Cibaeños got killed last month alone (assuming a central Cibao population of 1 million, eventhough more than 1 million live in the central Cibao).

Why does DR1 members engage in the tactic that arises the most fear in month long murder rate that hits 1 out of very 21,277 people is beyond comprehension!

Think about this, if you live in Santiago right now, 1 of every 21,277 people might get killed. The chances that such person will be you is very very small.

For visitors its even smaller because the chances of being a victim of crime decreases the less amount of time a person spends in such region. So, if a tourist visits from 2 weeks (which is more than what the average tourist visits the Cibao for) then obviously, the chances that he/she will be a victim of crime are so low they probably have a better chance in dying in a car accident on the way to the airport, since car accidents are the leading cause of death in the DR!

Why are the newspapers not cautioning people about those who take the wheels since they are killing more people than any criminal, disease, etc?

And this goes without saying that the article focuses on only 4 provinces, which collectively are home to over 1 million people, the second most populous region in the DR after the metropolitan region of Santo Domingo. It's obviously that the rest of the Cibao had a much less crime rate, otherwise it would have been included in the article as well.

Include the data from the Central Cibao (with over a million people) and metro Santo Domingo (with around 3 million) and it's almost a given that there will be more of everything there than in other less populous regions of the country. This is similar to comparing the London metro area to the rest of the UK or New York City metro area to rural America or Sao Paulo's metro area to northern Brazil or even San Juan metro area with the rest of Puerto Rico! Of course more stuff will happen in places where there are more people and despite that it only amounts to 1 out of every 21,277 people!

All of this leads to the ultimate question directed to Santiagohombre1 (the creator of this thread):

Let's assume you live in the US... read this article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5076188.stm

Now, do you feel safe?

-NALs

Last edited:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
NALs said:
What is the motive of this thread in particular? Obviously its attempt to arise fear of Santiago since asking a question of "Does everyone feel safe" after an article pin pointing the number of murders commited in one month in the central region of the Cibao. Keep in mind that the Cibao is much more than Santiago and if one does a little simple math calculations you will find that the murders amounts to 1 person out of every 21,277 central Cibae?os got killed last month alone (assuming a central Cibao population of 1 million, eventhough more than 1 million live in the central Cibao).

Why does DR1 members engage in the tactic that arises the most fear in month long murder rate that hits 1 out of very 21,277 people is beyond comprehension!

Think about this, if you live in Santiago right now, 1 of every 21,277 people might get killed. The chances that such person will be you is very very small.

For visitors its even smaller because the chances of being a victim of crime decreases the less amount of time a person spends in such region. So, if a tourist visits from 2 weeks (which is more than what the average tourist visits the Cibao for) then obviously, the chances that he/she will be a victim of crime are so low they probably have a better chance in dying in a car accident on the way to the airport, since car accidents are the leading cause of death in the DR!

Why are the newspapers not cautioning people about those who take the wheels since they are killing more people than any criminal, disease, etc?

And this goes without saying that the article focuses on only 4 provinces, which collectively are home to over 1 million people, the second most populous region in the DR after the metropolitan region of Santo Domingo. It's obviously that the rest of the Cibao had a much less crime rate, otherwise it would have been included in the article as well.

Include the data from the Central Cibao (with over a million people) and metro Santo Domingo (with around 3 million) and it's almost a given that there will be more of everything there than in other less populous regions of the country. This is similar to comparing the London metro area to the rest of the UK or New York City metro area to rural America or Sao Paulo's metro area to northern Brazil or even San Juan metro area with the rest of Puerto Rico! Of course more stuff will happen in places where there are more people and despite that it only amounts to 1 out of every 21,277 people!

All of this leads to the ultimate question directed to Santiagohombre1 (the creator of this thread):

Let's assume you live in the US... read this article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5076188.stm

Now, do you feel safe?

-NALs
Well said Nals. Hopefully more people will do their homework and read more about statistics, crime rates etc. One murder is unacceptable and my heart goes out to those who left us in such manner, but when things are put in perspective the crime rate is not any worse than most developing countries.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I too have no idea as to what the ulterior motive of the OP is in starting this thread but I consider it to be uncalled for.

Speaking for myself but stating that I live nowhere near that area I will say that I have no fear of living here or anywhere else in the DR.

There are presently enough threads open on this board concerning crime here that the OP, with a little searching, can find the appropriate thread to place his statement rather then starting a thread as this one.

Rick

Thank you Nal’s

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
I am of the opinion that crime happens everywhere - good grief, I lived in a small town in the a Welsh Valley most of my life and in that time we had two murders...a third happened just recently too. Will I never go to that town again for fear of being murdered??? - LOL! Same goes for a small village I know of too. Crime happens and the bigger the population in a place it stands to reason the "number of murders" will look bad...I intend on going there when I visit the DR and also intend on dragging my kids along with me! Yes I will feel safe as more chance I'd "bump into the murderer" in my home town given the size of it!!! Emma ;-)

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
P.S. Can't speak (and was never taught!!) a word of Spanish but as a guess am I right in thinking"...47 assassinations...18 violent attacks...etc.
The town I lived in (with a population of a few hundred) within a 2 year span: 2 murders, 6-7 violent attacks, 1 rape...This "town" is little more than a village and I wouldn't consider it AT ALL unsafe! In fact I would be rather upset if other people in the valley started not coming to my "town" because of a few nasty episodes.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Emma22,
The article mentions 47 killings and the recent killing of an 18 year old girl ( for a cell phone) so your translation was close.

Rick
Edited to add ( )

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
In that case my attempts to understand made me think the numbers where higher than they acctually are and frankly I wasn't "scared away" by my original understanding! LOL!!!!! I read about the 18 year old and the cell phone on here earlier - very sad. Such a cruel end to a promising life. I understand some of you on here knew her/her family - I'm sorry for your loss and (being a mother) her parents more so. I can think of nothing worse than seeing your child die before you do.
Emma

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Those 47 killings happened in the last 30 days and is one of the reasons the OP sensationalized his posting.

Rick

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
At the end of the day I believe it's a case of "putting things into perspective":

Santiago (a population of thousands) had 47 killings in a month, my home town (a population of a few hundred) had 2 in 2 years...seems to me that if murder happens in a "sleepy" valley town then SURE AS HELL it's going to happen is big places!!!!
We had 2 murders and then none until this year (10 years later) - Santiago just had a bad month (just as my home town had a bad few years 10 years ago and now a bad year this year) - doesn't make either of them "unsafe" to visit!!!! ;-) Emma

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Emma22 said:
I am of the opinion that crime happens everywhere - good grief, I lived in a small town in the a Welsh Valley most of my life and in that time we had two murders...a third happened just recently too. Will I never go to that town again for fear of being murdered??? - LOL! Same goes for a small village I know of too. Crime happens and the bigger the population in a place it stands to reason the "number of murders" will look bad...I intend on going there when I visit the DR and also intend on dragging my kids along with me! Yes I will feel safe as more chance I'd "bump into the murderer" in my home town given the size of it!!! Emma ;-)
Glad to see you are coming over to Santiago.I will also be there in about a week to visit my mom there. Great city, great people.

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
I have NO doubt when you say: "Great city, great people"
Good God I'd HATE to see how my "safe as houses" town would rank next to other towns/villages in the Welsh valley given it's history next to a "line of houses" that calls itself a village!! COUNT on me coming to Santiago!!! Such news as "47 killed in 30 days" doesn't faze me in the slightest (given it's population) as I stand by my original point: If murder can occur in my home town and TINY villages around I'd EXPECT to find more killed in higher populated areas. NO that has NOT "scared me off"!!!! I've never been to the DR before (doing my homework before July!) but I kind of think you get a hard deal there as far as the tourism trade goes. I just think (as I've seen LOTS of warnings about "pushy" sellers on other sites) WHY do people think people "push"??? Between reps. that lie and exaggerated crime NO WONDER businesses out of complex need "push"!
I've been to Thailand and they sure as Heck ask you "Look, look" there - I believe in a freedom of choice and (even before I get there!!) I'm beginning to think all is AGAINST the business man out of complex within the DR? :-(
Emma

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
47 homicides in 30 days....is an extremely high number....so extricating head from sand might be a productive move

BTW....in 2005 there were a total of 75 muders in the City of Boston....just some perspective....and there are some sections that are pretty nasty

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
...Correct in assuming that's a combined funeral of many?...I don't speak Spansh - NOT A WORD!!! I'm making a guess...

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
2 murders in 2 years IS an extremely high number for a sleepy village town my friend...

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Rick Snyder said:
I too have no idea as to what the ulterior motive of the OP is in starting this thread but I consider it to be uncalled for.
I'm not sure why you feel the OP has an ulterior motive, or why it's uncalled for that he posted a reference to an article that cites 47 murders in 30 days.

IMHO I believe that violent crime is up in the DR. Some may deny it, others may say it's just reported more, or talked about more, but everywhere I go I hear of people (residents and tourists) that have been victims of a crime.

I've been coming to the DR for about 15 years and I am having second thoughts about eventually settling in the DR (albeit the worsening corruption also has a lot to do with my trepidations).

For the first time I was seriously thinking of not letting my daughter spend her summer in the DR.

It is a topic that needs to be talked about!