Larimar

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
Hi, I'm trying to discover general information about Larimar and where the best places to buy Larimar may be?
I am no expert so am very sure I'd have difficulty spotting Larimar from other "similar looking" stones. I'm sure somebody must have asked before (just get no joy with my search) so could somebody kindly let me know/give me a link to the thread where this was covered before? Thanks, Emma

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
...Sorry, forgot to add: Is there any place you can go (North) to see Larimar being set in jewellery/worked with? Thanks for any help! Emma

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Want the best deal and quality..Go to the town of Barohouca .That is where the mines are located..IN THAT AREA...You will find lots of locals offering to sell you pieces in whatever size you wish..Wanna buy a kilo of it ..GO There.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Emma... If you make it to Barohouca, there are numerous beach pebbles of Larimar where the river is. It brings the larimar down from the mine. I have found several very fine pieces of Larimar there. The local kids are good at spotting it. Good luck! Canadian Bob.

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
I think I may need to visit again to go South as I only have 2 weeks...I will remember that though for the future (thanks) Emma :)
P.S. Sorry - where is Barohouca? I'm assuming it's South somewhere but Google won't find it :-( I'm not sure whether it's a typo (Barahona?) or whether Barohouca is a "slang name" for an area?

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Emma22 said:
I think I may need to visit again to go South as I only have 2 weeks...I will remember that though for the future (thanks) Emma :)
P.S. Sorry - where is Barohouca? I'm assuming it's South somewhere but Google won't find it :-( I'm not sure whether it's a typo (Barahona?) or whether Barohouca is a "slang name" for an area?

It's spelled Baoruco or Bahoruco, in the Barahona region

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
Thanks qgrande - and that's very South so I'll list the mine area for another visit. Emma ;-)