Boca Chica Area - Day Trips by Car?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I decided to take a major step and rent a car while staying in Boca Chica. I am thinking of taking a day trip to Juan Dolio. Looking at a map it doesn't seem difficult to get to. I could use some suggestions on other places to visit near BC. My intentions are to drive only during daylight hours.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
why rent a car? the guagua will take you juan dolio for about 30 pesos.

I like playa caribe better...its a tiny beach but with huge waves with boogie boards and stuff to rent.

one thing to think about...if you rent a car and you are driving anywhere from santo domingo to the juan dolio area...you are likely to be pulled over by the police and asked for a bribe.

do you speak some spanish? just make sure you find out how much the fare is first (i think its either 20 or 40 pesos)...try to sit near the front of the bus and ask somone to point out either juan dolio or playa caribe or wherever you decide to go.

a nice day trip by guagua is to the capital. just tell them you want to get off at parque indepencia. you will right by el conde and the zona colonial and near malecon. An interesting and safe place for a tourist to walk around. You have to take a cab (200 pesos tops) to the bus station to get back to boca chica. and just make sure you grab the "express" bus back.

I'd really think twice about renting a car. the highway is crazy, if you get in an accident you will have a major hassel, and then there are the little green men who pull you over and will want at least 300 pesos to leave you alone.

guaguas are cheap and clean and easy and friendly. just have the exact fare and know where you need to get off.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
jrzyguy said:

I seem to be getting a lot of negative replies with the car rental. Maybe it is not such a good idea? I am thinking it would be a good way to see areas besides BC. I am often mistaken for a Dominicano so would that lessen my chances of paying a bribe or does a rental car send out a signal "tourista-dinero".

I have always received excellent help on DR1 and will seriously consider all comments about the car rental.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
hey...yeah...a brand spanking new car or suv going down the highway might be a tip off lol.

if you know where you are going and/or have a guide to show you around the more rural areas than an suv is a fine idea. If you just want to go to some other beaches in the area...guagua is a VERY good idea..easy to use and very affordable. I gotta say...i've always enjoyed my guagua rides. The music playing and sitting around and traveling with the local folks.

One ride is most memorable. The bus was packed coming back for SD to BC...so i had to sit on this little perch next to the driver with my face nearly up against the windshield. The back of my fold away seat was not stable at all...and i stand about 6'3". so the guy behind (the fare collector guy by the door....is there a name for that?) me had to support my seat as i was leaning forward about ready to fly out the front windshield!!!

It was a crazy ride back to BC...but it still puts a smile on my face and was a truly DR experience :)

it beats the story of the time me and a guy rented a motorbike to drive around from BC to SD...had to pay bribes to the police twice...but it was my first trip...

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Plenty of Better Cars in the DR, Then What You'll Rent

bigbird said:
...my chances of paying a bribe or does a rental car send out a signal "tourista-dinero".
There are a lot of reasons why not to drive in the DR. This reason is definitely one of the weak ones.

-Helpmann :)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
jrzyguy said:
jrzyguy is right. If you are going to Juan Dolio, take a guagua. It's an easy trip. If you are going to the Capital it is a little more difficult because it involves at transfer and then generally a cab (or another guagua) once you are in the Capital.

jrzyguy said:
one thing to think about...if you rent a car and you are driving anywhere from santo domingo to the juan dolio area...you are likely to be pulled over by the police and asked for a bribe.
This is also true, albeit the bribe is relatively small.

BTW, are you traveling alone?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
rellosk said:
BTW, are you traveling alone?

Yes I will be traveling solo. I feel an auto would give me more freedom to venture out of the city. So often I have been in a cab or on a bus and see places on the road I would want to pull over and investigate.

How difficult could it be to get lost in the BC area if I stay on the main roads?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
bigbird said:
How difficult could it be to get lost in the BC area if I stay on the main roads?
It is a fairly straight forward drive to both the Capital and Juan Dolio (This is coming from someone that gets lost coming home from work :laugh: ).

Just always stay parallel to the water. There may be some difficulty if they are working on the roads and they set up a detour, but you should be able to find your way if you have any sense of direction.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
rellosk said:
Just always stay parallel to the water. There may be some difficulty if they are working on the roads and they set up a detour, but you should be able to find your way if you have any sense of direction.

Thanks rellosk, that's what I am thinking as long as I see the ocean it is just a matter of going east or west.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
it is easy to drive to juan dolio, and other beaches...but...in the other direction...once you go over that bridge you are in a city and the traffic and drivers are out of their minds. kinda like Rome...but worse!

I hear ya about driving around tho and exploring spots that perhaps a guagua wont take you to. But if you are just doing juan dolio, playa caribe, guyahacanes (sp?), and the capital (in the day) you are better off with guagua.

if you are traveling past Juan Dolio & S.P d Marcoris...then a rental might be worth it.

who's gonna tell us what sights to see on the south coast? I think that was the orig intend of the OP. I wouldnt minding finding some new non touristy spots myself!

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
I travel to the DR 3 to 4 times per year and always rent a car. Normally I use Alamo in SD. Driving in the DR is not as difficult as some may think. The major highways are well marked and for the most part in good repair.

The best bet for a novice driver in the DR would be to drive only during the daylight hours, until you have a good lay of the land. The night time is a different story, not all that dangerous, it?s just you never know what to expect.

Chuckuindy

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
chuckuindy said:
The best bet for a novice driver in the DR would be to drive only during the daylight hours, until you have a good lay of the land. The night time is a different story, not all that dangerous, it?s just you never know what to expect.

Chuckuindy

Thanks, that's my intentions. Daytime driving only.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
The question was where to go for a Day trip...Go to Catalina Island..Or take a jeep safari..Both of these options are offered by 2-3 companies on Duarte av..In Boca Chica...About $55.00 USD as of April.2006..for either one..I did them both in a weeks time and was very satisfied at the end of the trips...You don't need to rent a car....With these trips the company provides transportation and lunch...A good deal for the money...............

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
They don't have a website.

The best one is located across the street from the Europa hotel on duarte ave..You cant miss it..These places must be dealt with in person and from what I can remember cash only..All you need to do is go there 1 day before and pay for youe place..Then they will tell you what time to meet up..Safari Tours was the name I think..But don't expect to find them on a web site..These are privately owned buisnesses..They have been in buisness for years and space is limited so reserve early in the day for the following day.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
zak023 said:
The best one is located across the street from the Europa hotel on duarte ave.

Thanks. I have used Mel Tours on the North Coast in the past so I imagine it is pretty much the same set up.

DR Visitor

Jun 19, 2006
I'm planning a trip there in late july to go diving in Juan dolio,La Romana,Bayahibe,& Punta Cana and was planninig on renting a car in SD for a week of travel & diving with my wife & son. we are used to doing a lot of driving in mexico but do not know much spanish do you have some good advise for me on that i would apreciate any help you can give a first time visitor to DR.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
DR Visitor said:
I'm planning a trip there in late july to go diving in Juan dolio,La Romana,Bayahibe,& Punta Cana and was planninig on renting a car in SD for a week of travel & diving with my wife & son. we are used to doing a lot of driving in mexico but do not know much spanish do you have some good advise for me on that i would apreciate any help you can give a first time visitor to DR.
DR Visitor, welcome to DR1!

Driving in the DR is not for the faint hearted. If you are intent on renting a car (as opposed to renting a driver with a car), my suggestions are as follows:

• Rent from a major rental car company
  • Make sure you are fully insured (collision, liability, tires, windshield, etc)
  • Until you get familiar with the driving conditions, drive only during the day
  • Keep 100RD bills handy for when you get randomly stopped
  • Rent a cell phone, so you will be able to immediately contact your rental company in case of an accident

My advice is that a first time visitor should NOT rent a car in the DR. Do a search on DR1 and you will read why I give such advice.