Off Road Motorcycle (Montones?)

MrBoneznyc

Jan 10, 2004
yeah, but an organized annual crosscountry event. My uncle did it but I cant get any info on it. I know the country quite well.

G

gary short

I googled it and found lots of tours avaliable but no annual crosscountry event. If you find anything post it. I'd be up for that one.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Cross country event.

I have never heard of a large yearly cross county event on bikes.
Maybe some tour operator organizes one, but it can't be very big, otherwise we would have heard of it and seen them coming through.
I can tell you that I would pass on that tour, if it were offered, unless they made me the lead bike.
Being in the middle or back of a group of rice burners, chewing up their dirt and breathing their fumes, would not be my idea of fun.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
gary short said:
Dude the whole damn country is off road.

Thanks!! I laughed hard when I read that :)

But seriously... I would LOVE to do a motorcycle tour of the Island... definitely without riceburners, but I dont know how much better a pack of 2 stroke enduro bikes would be...

Speaking of... any Harley Riders on the board? Particular from the north coast??

G

gary short

A honda XR500 would be perrrrrrrrfffect. Harleys are for highways.

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
My first dirt bike was a '74 Honda XL350... a so-called "thumper". I didn't know any better, thought it was a motocross bike. Against medical advice, I bored the cylinder .20 over, installed a chrome L-ring, re-jetted the carb and stuck on a Bassani header... Easy 100 mph (on universal/semi-knobbies!) and it would honestly climb the average tree in first gear. Curb weight, however, approached 988 lbs. or thereabouts... to this day, my forearms are a source of shame, Popeye asks me for advice, I wear long sleeves outside the house. I don't ride much anymore... I like to arm wrestle for drinks, though, at the colmado in front of the girl's school at lunch time.

G

gary short

AAAHHHHH............the good ole days............and yet....apparently you suffered no brain injuries.

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
helmet-free

how could I suffer train injuries? We're talking about MOTORCYCLES here.. jeez.

G

gary short

Oh dear I suggest you consider wearing a helmut..............full time..............do you smell burnt toast?????

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
DavidZ said:
but I dont know how much better a pack of 2 stroke enduro bikes would be...
2 strokers, ARE rice burners.
They're the bikes that spew out white oily fumes from the exhaust.
They burn oil, rather than recycle it.
Most of the dual purpose rental bikes, are Yamaha DT 125's and are 2 strokers.
There are some 4 strokers around, and as long as you wore goggles a large group could be fun.

G

gary short

HOLY CRAP 988........... that's like riding a cow into town??????

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Rocky said:
2 strokers, ARE rice burners.
They're the bikes that spew out white oily fumes from the exhaust.
They burn oil, rather than recycle it.
Most of the dual purpose rental bikes, are Yamaha DT 125's and are 2 strokers.
There are some 4 strokers around, and as long as you wore goggles a large group could be fun.

Ah...Ok ... I was thinking sportbikes with their high whinnnnnnnnnne... and yes, I was wondering why theyd be riding crotch rockets off road, but hey, this *is* the DR...

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
sweet memory

Winding through the gears, on a hot summer night, the muffler (header) sounding like the looonnngggest and loudest Hallmark Methane Moment/copyright 2006 while seated in a plastic chair, wearing wet shorts. Yup, that's it exactly.
Sniff... .:glasses:

Kate Smith was the name of my cow- that was some gal.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I once owned a '68 BSA 441 Victor, single cylinder thumper, set up for off road.

Great old bike with serious torque.