Powered speakers for PC (review)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
lets change the usual topics and talk about guy toys for a change.
Every few months I get the urge to buy some electronic toy for my home. This time I was itching to get some powered speakers for my laptop, for my bedroom. I own a huge stereo in USA but it seem too bulky and then I would have to ship the huge boxy speakers. The shipping cost and the customs duties alone kill the whole idea.
So I visited my buddy scandall (randy) in santo domingo, there he had a set of logitech x230 speakers breaking the sound barrier on his desk connected to his laptop. I was quite impressed with the sound quality, considering he paid 50 dollars for them (new) and they pounded a healthy bass from the seperate bass unit, the 2 satellite speakers produced clean sound.
The unit was good and fit to power a regular sized room. The sound was clean and acceptable for the price. The only down side was the low volume, you would lose all the bass.
So I went researching on the net and read some reviews of other 2.1 systems for PC. The top contenders with excellent reviews were logitech 2300, and Z4. They were powerfull enough to shake your walls from the heavy bass. I read excellent reviews and was compelled to check them out in a local computer stores in santiago. To my disappointment, the satellite speakers had no tweaters and the over-all sound, sounded like speakers under water. All the high frequencies were missing. I was left heart broken and wondering what the hell the reviewers were talking about in their reviews? What speakers were they listening to?
Then my attention was diverted to Klipsch promedia 2.1 speakers. The only speakers with 2 satellite speakers equipped with a nice sized mid range and horn tweaters. The reviews were also excellent and almost everyone picked them over the logitech. I have heard Klipsch home floor standing speakers a few years ago and was very impressed. The price of the pc speakers were 159 dollars in local circuit city and compusa stores. I was able to secure a special offer of 120 dollars shipped to atlanta address and taxes included on internet. This price was just too good to pass by so I took the plunge.
The speakers came within 4 days. I quickly set up the heavy sub woofer and put the 2 satellite speakers on the desk and connected the sound cable to my laptop audio output. I set up the equalizer to increase the high frequencies and played an MP3. Wow wow wow. I was left stunned. The sound was just too clear and the bass was heavy but perfectly balanced. The whole room was filled with big speaker sound yet the whole system was almost invisible to naked eyes. All you see is two small satellite speakers and the sub on the floor hidden. Folks, I just can't tell you how clean and loud this system is. The amp is 200 watts built inside the sub-woofer. The sound is complete and perfectly balanced. I put it againt a 300 dollars bose 2.1 speaker system and bose just didn't have a chance. I then tried to challange my friend's bose 321 2.1 1000 plus dollars system against my 120 dollars system, but my friend chickened out. He heard what I had in my house.
So folks, if you want clean sound from your desk top or laptop, don't look any further, get the klipsch promedia 2.1 speakers from internet suppliers and thank me later.
AZB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Klipsch speakers have always had a good reputation for good sound.
Of course, they will sound better than Logitech.
There isn't a decent speaker system from the Orient, and Logitech is from the Orient.
Bose make good sounding speakers, but are always overpriced. so it's not difficult to beat their systems, dollar for dollar, if you're a good shopper.
We use the Altec Lansings here, also powered subwoofers with 4 sats.
Now, there's one last thing for you to do.
If you are using a built in sound card, you won't be getting half the quality you would from an upgrade, like "Sound Blaster".
The difference is huge.
You don't have to spend a fortune.
A $60 or $70 US card will do the trick.
It's night & day.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, I admit, I tested a Altec lansings and I was impressed. It was also a 2.1 not the 4 speaker system you have.
Now I have heard about the premium sound card production but I am not sure how much of a difference that would make. I am using my laptop builtin sound card so in order for me to get an upgraded sound card, I would have to buy an external PC card what would set me back at least a 100 plus dollars. Is the sound improvement really worth the cost?
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, so you have just invented my next project, the quest for a good laptop sound card. Thanks
AZB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If you care to hear the difference, drop on by and listen to it.
I can easily plug the speakers into the built in sound card to make the comparison.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
AZB said:
So I visited my buddy scandall (randy) in santo domingo, there he had a set of logitech x230 speakers breaking the sound barrier on his desk connected to his laptop. I was quite impressed with the sound quality, considering he paid 50 dollars for them (new) AZB

Actually, they were only $39 on Amazon and since then Larry got a set for even less. Good deal.

They even make Robert sound good on the Mangu Minute.

Scandall

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Scandall said:
Actually, they were only $39 on Amazon and since then Larry got a set for even less. Good deal.

They even make Robert sound good on the Mangu Minute.

Scandall

Yeah, I brought a set back from NY with me earlier this month. They are a great deal.

Larry

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Cambridge Soundworks

I tried to get Randy to go with the hometown favorites, but apparently they weren't shiny enough for him.

I lived right next to the factory in my Beantown days and their prices were great and the reputation of the founder - Henry Kloss I believe - was impecable, a pioneer. That's what led me there.

What's kept me going back is the dependability. When I moved to the DR I gave my home set to a friend and they still rock hard to this day. Easily 10 years old by now.

I bought the 2nd level computer speakers (subwoofer and two tweeters) "open box refurbished" for $69 and 5 years later they're rocking my joint right now, sound great. Too loud for my place really, I've only had them cranked to the max once and that's when they were in Santo Domingo - had to drown out the locals somehow.

So they travel well and kick.

I've brought them to the beach a few times and connected them to a car battery and ran my mp3 player on them.

Randy didn't like my music and I refused to play Michael Jackson, Bob Seger and Prince on my stuff, so he can't really say what they sounded like.

They are easy enough to pack, so bringing them in from the states shouldn't be a problem, if necessary.