Its hot as hell here in paradise.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Wow, I have just returned from NY and atlanta to this hell hole called DR. Hot as hell folks. I am sitting here in my office without lights. Which means my a/c is shut off and my inverter is powering my fan which is blowing hot air from the window. I think I am MELTING!!!!!!!!!!.
Help!!!!!!
AZB

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Back in the Hell Hole Next Week!!!

AZB said:
Wow, I have just returned from NY and atlanta to this hell hole called DR. Hot as hell folks. I am sitting here in my office without lights. Which means my a/c is shut off and my inverter is powering my fan which is blowing hot air from the window. I think I am MELTING!!!!!!!!!!.
Help!!!!!!
AZB
It can't be hotter than what the subways are going be like this evening.

-Helpmann :(

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
AZB said:
Help!!!!!!
AZB

What??? Hell hole?? AZB move very slowly, avoid strenous activities, drink lots of fluids, jugo de chinola, mmmm lots of ice, ooops no electricity no ice, oh well. I guess its humid everywhere, its humid here too.
AZB watch out for the mosquitoes ewff:surprised

Animation

Jan 12, 2006
How hot does it get in the Dr? I'll be back in july and want to know how to pack. Do the mosquitoes get bad then? what do you suggest to keep them at bay?

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
AZB said:
Help!!!!!!
AZB

No kidding and there is no escape without sending your electric bill through the roof. I can't wait to see mine.

Scandall

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
We wouldn't know.

AZB said:
Help!!!!!!
AZB
Those of us that live in the sticks called Puerto Plata, away from cosmopolitan Santiago, wouldn't know. The electric has been out only 10 minutes since last week.;)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I dont know what the temperature was today but today was the first time I actually felt weak from the heat. I love hot weather and that never happens to me. Around noontime, I went for a walk that I frequently take and midway through, I stopped for some groceries. Then, I proceeded to carry the bags back home with me. The entire walk took about 40 minutes and by the time I got home, I was saturated with perspiration and felt dizzy. I drank several glasses of water and then had to lay down for a while.

Tomorrow I have a better idea. I will spend the afternoon cooling off in the pool.

Larry

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Animation said:
How hot does it get in the Dr? I'll be back in july and want to know how to pack. Do the mosquitoes get bad then? what do you suggest to keep them at bay?

The climate all over the world has been abnormal, so it seems that its been more humid than usual in the DR, right guys? Make sure you bring loose fitting clothes, I can't go there without some nice loose summer dresses, sandals, tight shorts will be uncomfortable in the heat, sorry guys. A sun hat. Mosquito repellant is a good idea. In the DR they sell mosquito nets to put over your bed, if you have mosquitoes these come in very handy.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
M.A.R. said:
The climate all over the world has been abnormal, so it seems that its been more humid than usual in the DR, right guys? Make sure you bring loose fitting clothes, I can't go there without some nice loose summer dresses, sandals, tight shorts will be uncomfortable in the heat, sorry guys. A sun hat. Mosquito repellant is a good idea. In the DR they sell mosquito nets to put over your bed, if you have mosquitoes these come in very handy.

Unfortunately, men in the DR cannot wear shorts or sandals or any of those "cooler' clothes or you look like a fag. The exception being of course if you are going to the beach.

I was out in the heat with my usual "typical Dominican" attire today......new jeans, a short sleeved collared shirt and shoes (loafers).

Larry

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I saw Al Gore on larry King, and some of the pictures he put up were amazing. No more snows of Kilimangaro!!(?SP?) and the glaciers in Chile are no more!!

this is serious schitt!

Hot? Yeah, a bit, but the cool breezes make it livable,.

HB :D:D:D

Last edited:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Larry said:
Unfortunately, men in the DR cannot wear shorts or sandals or any of those "cooler' clothes or you look like a fag. The exception being of course if you are going to the beach.

I was out in the heat with my usual "typical Dominican" attire today......new jeans, a short sleeved collared shirt and shoes (loafers).

Larry

...Larry pretend you are going to the beach everyday..:)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hillbilly said:
I saw Al Gore on larry King, and some of the pictures he put up were amazing. No more snows of Kilimangaro!!(?SP?) and the glaciers in Chile are no more!!

this is serious schitt!

Hot? Yeah, a bit, but the cool breezes make it livable,.

HB :D:D:D
I heard a professor of climatology from Arizona State University, Robert C. Balling Jr., talking about Algore's movie. One of the many points he made is that the lack of snow on Kilimanjaor is because of lack of moisture in the air, and not because it is warming. He said that this has been occuring for 100 years. Additionally, he states the pics taken of the mountain were not taken in the same season-one was taken in late May, one in early March.

Personally, the older I get, the hotter it seems. My neighbor's 6 and 8 y.o. kids have no problem playing outside in the heat here in Tampa. But then again, at that age I didn't either.

Methinks I have excessive subcutaneous "insulation". I'm sure there's a Cool Man trying to get out...;)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Only mad dogs and englishmen go out in the midday sun. We're in the tropics guys ... adapt or die....

Stay inside out of the sun between 12 and 3, drink water and preferably relax for a few hours. It is time to re-institute the siesta!

The humidity here is not half what it is in Florida!

Larry said:
IAround noontime, I went for a walk that I frequently take and midway through, I stopped for some groceries. Then, I proceeded to carry the bags back home with me. The entire walk took about 40 minutes and by the time I got home, I was saturated with perspiration and felt dizzy. I drank several glasses of water and then had to lay down for a while.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
One for you AZB ...

<table><tbody><tr valign="top"><td align="right" bgcolor="#ffffff">[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] Wind [/FONT]</td> <td>[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] from the E (090 degrees) at 14 MPH (12 KT) [/FONT]</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td align="right" bgcolor="#ffffff">[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] Visibility [/FONT]</td> <td>[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] greater than 7 mile(s) [/FONT]</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td align="right" bgcolor="#ffffff">[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] Sky conditions [/FONT]</td> <td>[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] mostly cloudy [/FONT]</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td align="right" bgcolor="#ffffff">[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] Weather [/FONT]</td> <td>[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] Cumulonimbus clouds observed [/FONT]</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td align="right" bgcolor="#ffffff">[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] Temperature [/FONT]</td> <td>[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] 87 F (31 C) [/FONT]</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td align="right" bgcolor="#ffffff">[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] Heat index [/FONT]</td> <td>[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] 97.5 F (36.4 C)[/FONT]</td></tr></tbody></table>

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
From the man who invented the internet

cobraboy said:
I heard a professor of climatology from Arizona State University, Robert C. Balling Jr., talking about Algore's movie. One of the many points he made is that the lack of snow on Kilimanjaor is because of lack of moisture in the air, and not because it is warming. He said that this has been occuring for 100 years. Additionally, he states the pics taken of the mountain were not taken in the same season-one was taken in late May, one in early March.

Personally, the older I get, the hotter it seems. My neighbor's 6 and 8 y.o. kids have no problem playing outside in the heat here in Tampa. But then again, at that age I didn't either.

Methinks I have excessive subcutaneous "insulation". I'm sure there's a Cool Man trying to get out...;)

Al Gore, what can be believed is what can be spun...hmmmmm

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Here's how the dominicanos stay cool when it's hot, and Hillbilly will agree: they wear a white cotton t-shirt under a long-sleeved, slightly loose-fitting cotton shirt. As one sweats, the t-shirt wicks it up and as it evaporates, it cools your skin. Mostly only tourists wear short sleeved shirts, and never with a t-shirt. Plus you can afford to pay someone here to iron those cotton shirts.

And they do the same thing in Pakistan, AZB!

P.S. if it gets too unbearable, try this - dampen a pair of your boxers, smooth them out, and place in the freezer for 30 minutes. Take out of freezer, put them on, and enjoy! Any funny looks, means NO - DO NOT WEAR THIS OUT IN THE STREET! :)

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Regardless of the heat I have never been able to acclimatize to the DR. When I was in Santo Domingo in April I went to a party in Arroyo Hondo and everyone was dressed to the nines.

I took my suit jacket off in the taxi(of course no a/c) and began sweating profusely. They were doing construction on the second floor of the house and all the windows were closed so that dust would not settle in the first floor. The only one sweating was me because I don't live there and was not used to the heat. It was really strange. Everyone kept asking me what was wrong. Before I passed out someone mentioned a fan. I said "You have a fan? PLEASE bring it down!!!"

It reminded me of the Seinfeld episode when Jerry and Elaine went to visit his mother in Florida and they never turned up the a/c. When Elaine begged Mrs. Seinfeld to turn it up(as she was sweating like a roast pig) Mrs. Seinfeld looks at her and says, "You're hot?"

I looked like I was doused with a bucket of water and yet noone else managed to work up a bead of sweat.

I guess next time I go I'll go to my local gym and sit in the steamroom for 5 days straight just so that I can walk around without sweating so much in the DR.

G

gary short

P.S. if it gets too unbearable, try this - dampen a pair of your boxers, smooth them out, and place in the freezer for 30 minutes. Take out of freezer, put them on, and enjoy! Any funny looks, means NO - DO NOT WEAR THIS OUT IN THE STREET! :)[/QUOTE]

I've put a small ice pack in my previously soaked and then frozen tilley hat,works well..........except you look like a dork wearing a tilley hat anytime...plus with the icepack......encephalitic dork man...........but oh so cool.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Berzin said:
Regardless of the heat I have never been able to acclimatize to the DR. When I was in Santo Domingo in April I went to a party in Arroyo Hondo and everyone was dressed to the nines.

I took my suit jacket off in the taxi(of course no a/c) and began sweating profusely. They were doing construction on the second floor of the house and all the windows were closed so that dust would not settle in the first floor. The only one sweating was me because I don't live there and was not used to the heat. It was really strange. Everyone kept asking me what was wrong. Before I passed out someone mentioned a fan. I said "You have a fan? PLEASE bring it down!!!"

It reminded me of the Seinfeld episode when Jerry and Elaine went to visit his mother in Florida and they never turned up the a/c. When Elaine begged Mrs. Seinfeld to turn it up(as she was sweating like a roast pig) Mrs. Seinfeld looks at her and says, "You're hot?"

I looked like I was doused with a bucket of water and yet noone else managed to work up a bead of sweat.

I guess next time I go I'll go to my local gym and sit in the steamroom for 5 days straight just so that I can walk around without sweating so much in the DR.

If you were sweating profusely and the other guests were bone dry, then you should consider the possiblity that you were suffering from a medical condition. There are other reasons for profuse sweating, such as psychological conditions like stress, fear, nervousness, agressive anger, and also the ingestion of certain medications and drugs, including cocaine...