Major explosion at Diamond Mall in Sto Dgo!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
All of the local news stations are reporting a very large explosion at the Diamond Mall. According to CDN and local radio programs, all of the glass in the entire mall is broken and every store there is damaged.

Apparently, someone forgot to turn off the gas????

HB :ermm: :ermm:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, we just got a call about this. We used to live right behind the mall and were always concerned about the proximity of the firework shop and the Texaco station.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Hillbilly said:
Apparently, someone forgot to turn off the gas???? HB :ermm: :ermm:

If you ask me, the place was torched. Diamond Mall has become seady of lately, and business has been scarce. The insurance money will come in handy...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The person who called us said that one of the security guards is feared dead. Let's hope not.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
bigbird said:
Please tell me I didn't read that!
'fraid so. The Texaco station is right on the intersection between Los Proceres and Euclides Morillo. The Diamond Mall is just behind the station. Fuegos La Metralla is across the road, about 15m from the petrol station.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Mirador said:
If you ask me, the place was torched. Diamond Mall has become seady of lately, and business has been scarce. The insurance money will come in handy...

Nope. A breadmaker in the food court had a little problem with the gas. Thankfully he was the only person there.

Mirador, amazing how your natural impulse is to jump to conclusions. Perhaps Karl Rove was behind the blast. HHhmmmm.

Scandall

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Scandall said:
Nope. A breadmaker in the food court had a little problem with the gas. Thankfully he was the only person there.

Mirador, amazing how your natural impulse is to jump to conclusions. Perhaps Karl Rove was behind the blast. HHhmmmm.

Scandall

"A little problem with the gas"? that it caused structural damage to the building so extensive that half the shopping center has to be torn down? Probably Charlie4 was used, or maybe a mix of ammonium nitrate with fuel oil...

By the way, who is Karl Rove? ...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
2nd floor collapsed, 30-40% destroyed. I can't imagine we will be seeing that open again for a long time.

I wonder what will happen to the owner of the pizza store that caused the explosion?

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Robert said:
I wonder what will happen to the owner of the pizza store that caused the explosion?

I would be willing to bet that the first thing that comes out of his mouth is "No fui yo!"...or perhaps "No mi culpa!"

Just a guess,

Scandall

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Torching a failing business to collect from the insurance is an old trick here. We had seen this happen in plaza internacional, santiago. The business was almost dead and the owner was losing money everyday. The place was a sports shop, selling sneakers yet it some how burnt down to the ground.
Now I have heard that diamond mall was suffering so I won't be surprised if a few owners had gotten together and planned this move when there was no one in the mall. So if a person dies, the insurance will cover him as well. Too bad but this happens here.
AZB

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
The Acropolis

I was at Diamond Mall a year ago. Damn that Mall was dead!!

The Acropolis, Bella Vista, and Megacentro are where it's at!!

-Helpmann :smoke:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As I had thought! It had to be a gas leak of some proportion to have caused that much damage. First reports mention one injured, no dead. Has that changed??

HB

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Last

Hillbilly said:
As I had thought! It had to be a gas leak of some proportion to have caused that much damage. First reports mention one injured, no dead. Has that changed??

HB

Last report I saw was one dead.
Had a meeting schdeule for 2:30 today on the 3rd floor. Only reason not schdeuled for this morning was because I played telephone tag with the guy yesterday.

Betty1

Nov 22, 2003
johne said:
Last report I saw was one dead.
Had a meeting schdeule for 2:30 today on the 3rd floor. Only reason not schdeuled for this morning was because I played telephone tag with the guy yesterday.

Hey John!

Thought your meeting was for this morning worried you may have been hurt.
Glad to see you o.k. say hello to the family for me.

Betty

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
spoke to

Betty1 said:
Hey John!

Thought your meeting was for this morning worried you may have been hurt.
Glad to see you o.k. say hello to the family for me.

Betty
your brother-in-law this morning about our proposed meeting that was to be at 2:30-said he wanted to talk to his wife and would get back to me. Have not heard from him and I am hestitate to call as he I'm sure has enough to do without me bothering him.
Talk to him tomm.
JOHN

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
update to Betty

just spoke to your brother-in-law. Told me explosion was in Diamond Mall--He is in Diamond Plaza. Everthing is ok. Seeing him at 12:30 tomm.
JOHN

nydr

Feb 24, 2006
somebody working there

told me that the guy who died, every morning he was the first there in the pizzeria (a new store) and he heated the oven and start doing his chores.. but that day he opens the gas as usual and didn't have the matches so he left the gas valve open and went all the way down to the parking lot to get the matches, he found there a coworker and half and hour later he remembered and went up to light up the stove, when this two guys were at the stairs the coworker realized that he left his bible in his motorcicle so he return back to the parking lot, and in matter of seconds bum everything explode.. The diamod mall had a roof in the middle made of a strong fabric they say that the damage wasn't worst because most of the pressure blows away through that opening, but it's devastated...