Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question I'm moving to Dr....HELP!!!

I'm moving from Florida to Santo Domingo and want some advise on a few things.
    1.) I've heard it is better to rent for the first year then to buy, but where do I find reliable landlords? Should I contact a realtor for rental purposes?
    2.) I'm a teacher and I want to look for a job, but I can't read the major newspaper in Santo Domingo because I can't speak Spanish, what are some other options?
    3.) When I come to visit is there any way I can stay somewhere that is not so touristy to get a better feel of what life is like there?
    4.) What are the MOST impotant items to bring that I will definately not be able to acquire or afford in DR?
    That's all for now, if there is anything else you want to add relating to advise on moving there just because, feel free.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to DR1!

Have you been to the DR before?

Is your next trip to the DR going to be a move or an exploratory trip?

Is your job going to be your only source of income in the DR or will you have other income? (Pensions, savings, etc.)

The answer to the above questions will let us better answer the questions you've raised.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have some money saved from real estate and plan to do more real estate investing when I get there, but other than that I will be relying on a Dominican salary. I want to get at least a decent teaching job of 12,000-15,000 pesos a month as I've heard is a reasonable salary for teachers.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you know that this is the equivalent of US$369 to US$461 more or less? Can you survive on that in your home country? Where are you hoping to teach if you don't understand or speak Spanish?

Now, these questions have been asked and you did not answer them...

Have you been to the DR before?

Is your next trip to the DR going to be a move or an exploratory trip?

I'll add a question - Why the DR?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Mgregoir,
    I too wish to welcome you to DR1. I conducted a search with that button at the upper right portion of the page and typed in”moving to the dr”. I came up with these threads that might help you.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread...ghlight=moving

This should get you started. After reading these threads then come back with any other questions you may have.

Rick

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

If you come to the North coast, in the Sosua/Cabarete/Puerto Plata areas, we will be able to assist you with finding yourself a decent place to live, and yes, it is very wise to do so, before buying.
    One needs to spend a certain amount of time, to fully understand the lifestyle, so as to truly know if they like it.

Post Thanks / Like

You would be much wiser to be hired in the States, at one of the many job fares. There is one is Washington, CIS? That I heard is good.
    Many of the better schools do their hiring in the states and in Englsnd.

I would not hold out too much hope at finding a job for the fall semester at this late date. You could probably scrape by teaching English at a few places....

Good luck.

HB

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default possible teaching jobs

The overseas teaching market is def. in favor of the teachers right now, there were more jobs than applicants at the fairs. You should contact Carol Morgan School, there are still a few openings there and the pay is much better than what you have in mind. Maybe you'll be lucky and you are certified in one of the areas in which they are still missing a teacher.

Good luck.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Answering questions

Ok, to answer the all the questions, no I have not been to DR, yes, I am taking an exploritory trip on July 24th, and why I am moving is for familly reasons. So if anyone else has some helpful information feel free to offer it up.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

You could look at applying for work in the north coast (more touristy, therefore more English).

There are a few private english language schools that might be interested.

You could also volunteer for the Dream Project (www.dominicandream.org) and teach while learning the language/culture.

Real estate on the North Coast is exploding.

Cheers!

joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast