I'm moving to Dr....HELP!!!

mgregoir

Jun 20, 2006
I'm moving from Florida to Santo Domingo and want some advise on a few things.
1.) I've heard it is better to rent for the first year then to buy, but where do I find reliable landlords? Should I contact a realtor for rental purposes?
2.) I'm a teacher and I want to look for a job, but I can't read the major newspaper in Santo Domingo because I can't speak Spanish, what are some other options?
3.) When I come to visit is there any way I can stay somewhere that is not so touristy to get a better feel of what life is like there?
4.) What are the MOST impotant items to bring that I will definately not be able to acquire or afford in DR?
That's all for now, if there is anything else you want to add relating to advise on moving there just because, feel free.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Welcome to DR1!

Have you been to the DR before?

Is your next trip to the DR going to be a move or an exploratory trip?

Is your job going to be your only source of income in the DR or will you have other income? (Pensions, savings, etc.)

The answer to the above questions will let us better answer the questions you've raised.

mgregoir

Jun 20, 2006
I have some money saved from real estate and plan to do more real estate investing when I get there, but other than that I will be relying on a Dominican salary. I want to get at least a decent teaching job of 12,000-15,000 pesos a month as I've heard is a reasonable salary for teachers.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Do you know that this is the equivalent of US$369 to US$461 more or less? Can you survive on that in your home country? Where are you hoping to teach if you don't understand or speak Spanish?

Now, these questions have been asked and you did not answer them...

Have you been to the DR before?

Is your next trip to the DR going to be a move or an exploratory trip?

I'll add a question - Why the DR?

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Mgregoir,
I too wish to welcome you to DR1. I conducted a search with that button at the upper right portion of the page and typed in”moving to the dr”. I came up with these threads that might help you.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51189&highlight=moving
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48561&highlight=moving
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50713&highlight=moving
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50682&highlight=moving

This should get you started. After reading these threads then come back with any other questions you may have.

Rick

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If you come to the North coast, in the Sosua/Cabarete/Puerto Plata areas, we will be able to assist you with finding yourself a decent place to live, and yes, it is very wise to do so, before buying.
One needs to spend a certain amount of time, to fully understand the lifestyle, so as to truly know if they like it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You would be much wiser to be hired in the States, at one of the many job fares. There is one is Washington, CIS? That I heard is good.
Many of the better schools do their hiring in the states and in Englsnd.

I would not hold out too much hope at finding a job for the fall semester at this late date. You could probably scrape by teaching English at a few places....

Good luck.

HB

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
possible teaching jobs

The overseas teaching market is def. in favor of the teachers right now, there were more jobs than applicants at the fairs. You should contact Carol Morgan School, there are still a few openings there and the pay is much better than what you have in mind. Maybe you'll be lucky and you are certified in one of the areas in which they are still missing a teacher.

Good luck.

mgregoir

Jun 20, 2006
Answering questions

Ok, to answer the all the questions, no I have not been to DR, yes, I am taking an exploritory trip on July 24th, and why I am moving is for familly reasons. So if anyone else has some helpful information feel free to offer it up.

joecanada

Jan 15, 2004
You could look at applying for work in the north coast (more touristy, therefore more English).

There are a few private english language schools that might be interested.

You could also volunteer for the Dream Project (www.dominicandream.org) and teach while learning the language/culture.

Real estate on the North Coast is exploding.

Cheers!

joe

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I'm going to try and answer the questions point by point.

mgregoir said:
I'm moving from Florida to Santo Domingo and want some advise on a few things.
1.) I've heard it is better to rent for the first year then to buy, but where do I find reliable landlords? Should I contact a realtor for rental purposes?
There is a lot of rental information on the boards. It depends where you want to go...
mgregoir said:
2.) I'm a teacher and I want to look for a job, but I can't read the major newspaper in Santo Domingo because I can't speak Spanish, what are some other options?
I think the posters up to now has given you a few ideas. Again, if you're going to live in Santo Domingo, the advice given would be different that for the North Coast for example.
mgregoir said:
3.) When I come to visit is there any way I can stay somewhere that is not so touristy to get a better feel of what life is like there?
Many many places. Again, where are you heading to?
mgregoir said:
4.) What are the MOST impotant items to bring that I will definately not be able to acquire or afford in DR?
What is important to you? Your hair products? Bring some of those with. Your CD's, yes, bring those with. A laptop? Yes, bring that with. Are you planning to set up house? Towels and linen are not really good quality down here.
mgregoir said:
That's all for now, if there is anything else you want to add relating to advise on moving there just because, feel free.

Yes, it is hard for the members of this board to give you some pointers with the limited amount of information you've given. Do you have family down here that will support you? Where do you want to go? What kind of lifestyle do you want to follow? And all of those things.

It is good practice not to blurt our personal details on a board such as this, but for pointers, we at least need to know whether you are coming into a support system or not, where you want to head to and so on. Jobs are not easy to find and pay very little. Without Spanish, it will be hard for you in Santo Domingo and generally everywhere. But it may be a little easier to pick up some language on the North Coast. It is out of season now, so even restaurant jobs are hard to find.

mgregoir

Jun 20, 2006
more details

To give a little more information, I do have US$ to live off of, if I can not find a job for the year. I am a certified teacher, from what I've heard it is not hard to find a teaching job, even if you don't speak spanish. I will not have a support system, but the reason I want to find a job with an international school in Santo Domingo is because my teenage sister wants to live with me and the schools I've read about usually give one free tuition per teacher. I definately want to live in Santo Domingo because I want to live in a vibrant city with a lot of young people. I'm only 23 so it's important for me to live in a place where there are young people, especially because I only know one other person in SD. As far as the area I want to live in I don't care where as long as it is SAFE, SAFE, and SAFE. I want a good neighborhood with many American comforts, such as internet access, cable, and a good generator. I also need to be close to a supermarket and other shopping because I'm probably not going to get a car until I'm sure about my out going finances per month. I hope this helps, I don't really know what else to add.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
This post has a lot of information on international or bilingual schools in Santo Domingo http://www.dr1.com/forums/showpost.php?p=371136&postcount=20

You may want to read the whole thread http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47622

Perhaps you should check out the one free tuition per teacher with the school itself.

At the salary that you will be earning, I think some of the Santo Domingo crowd will pipe up in terms of where the safe and cheap neighborhoods are.

Here is some information on renting in Santo Domingo http://www.dr1.com/articles/renting.shtml

And here is information on how to find a student's apartment in Santo Domingo
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48134&highlight=santo+domingo+apartment
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30220&highlight=santo+domingo+apartment

You have to use the search function above and search for more information.

I edited your previous post in terms of the amount of US$ you have available. I would leave most of this in the bank at home and bring just enough to live on for a while until you find a job and an apartment.

junglemonkey

Jun 24, 2006
here's an idea

im a teacher here who basically came in off the boat.

i suggest you find the dr1 forum thread on private schools and send in your resume via email.

if you have a teacher's certificate even better....these schools are mainly located in santodomingo and will pay upwards from 20,000pesos a month

bring $$$ to live in an apart hotel for the first month inorder to get used to the area then find a place to rent.

you should apply ASAP so you can get a position for classes in sept.

want some excitemnet, just come down and go directly to the schools with your resume chances are you'll get something....last month would have been better of course.

well, thats what i did, just on a whim and got a job.....but i had the advantage of knowing a little spanish....just watch your back its a little dangerous.

you can contact me if you need help