Once again, santiago is submerged under water.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Santiago was hit by heavy rains and thunderstorm at around 4pm this afternoon. first the omenious darkness, then the thrilling thunder which ripped fear into everyone. Then came strong winds and the heavy rain. I was quick to leave my office to run for home because I knew at around 6pm, it would be a major disaster as everyone would be trying to get home at the same time. What I had witnessed was totally totally incredible. There were broken down trees which took the electric wires with them. Then the up-rooted trees falling on tin shack homes in pueblo nuevo. Streets were closed due to downed trees so everyone had to zig zag through barrio streets to get to where they wanted to go. The flood was knee deep or deeper. I abandoned the 27 de febrero because it was just too flooded and I was afraid if I had continued, my engine would stall and I would be flooded as well like the other unfortunate ones. An uprooted tree had taken out the huge flower shop sign in bartelome colon in front of the old airport.
The worst damage was sustained by the squaters who made their homes in the ditch / dry river (arroyo) in bartelome colon avenue. This whole ditch was full to the top and all the tin shacks were totally submerged under water with floating gunk, and sewage waste. It was horrible. This is the second time this month these people had to endure a heavy flood like that. I just don't know when they will learn their lesson and move out. I bet they have lost everyrthing to the flooding.
There was knee deep water everywhere. I quickly zig zaged my way home and also found my home to be flooded as well. I mean , wet floor. The wind had pushed water inside my home from under the door. It took me an hour to clean up the mess. No damage was sustained by the water. thanks god.
So if you folks know someone who had gone to santiago for shopping, he will be coming in late.
AZB

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
wow that sounds crazy. I was reading these weather reports of flooding potential in the DR from heavy rains but didnt realize it had happenned already today. I am glad your house is ok and hope this heavy rain passes before I arrive next weekend.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
In Puerto Plata it wasn´t that bad. Hope you are OK now.
We have heavy rain though, and a sign on my street on a house went completely in the opposite direction. ( Big sign on a house with lights etc ).
Electricity off for about 2hrs.

Come here AZB!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yesterday's storm was the loudest of the three major storms we have had over the past three weeks. It was also the windiest IMO>...
The previous one had hail. this one knocked down four electricity poles and the lights here were off for about three hours.

As I posted some place else, now I know why my house is flooding! I mean, after 37 years of rains, hurricanes and such, we now get water in the house twice? I mean, come on! there has to be a cause!!

Sure nuf! My neighbor has put in concrete parking spaces in stead of the beautiful garden that used to be there, and all of that rain water comes my way, overloading my yard's capacity to drain. So, I am looking at a major remodeling of the front part. Some Blocks, some widening and deepening of the street scuppers, that sort of thing...

HB :(:(

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I saw the news and believe me, it was far uglier than what I saw with my own eyes. The poor neighborhoods got it the worst. There you have it, another reason why poverty sucks.
God help them all.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Oh no, more rain.

Its raining non stop since 4pm. There was a hard thunder shower which threatened flooding but then the rain slowed down. No matter how you look at it, rain has screwed up many businesses. No one leaves to go anywhere in the rain. My clinic was dead today, just like yesterday and stores closed down early. Traffic jams were driving everyone insane. I came home at 4pm, my date cancelled on me. here I am all alone cooking up some spicy chicken curry.
AZB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It did/has not rained as much. Yesterday was a deluge, a truly abnormal amount of rain fell in a few minutes...today is now down to a drizzle.

At the end of my street, a light pole fell down blocking access between the two areas. Big mess.

On the way to work at the university, major trees and sign were felled.

Yes, drtampa, much worse as far as lightening and thunder. the rain was slightly less, or we knew how to prevent wholesale flooding of the living room..and this time we had four pairs of hands to help..

Now, i will walk up to the Tirigüillo and get a hotdog for my grandson....

HB :D:D (damp, not daunted)

diego200

Jan 30, 2006
That's incredible !!! I was in Santiago this day, from Sosua on my way to Santo domingo, and Santiago was the only place where I saw some sun... Weather changes quickly here, never forget it !!

May 12, 2005
I think by the end of this weekend the New York area will join Santiago in being under water. They are predicting 5-6" of rain. Yikes. Its already pouring. I have tickets for the Viva El Merengue concert at Shea Stadium tonite, unless it stops pouring, I don't think i'll go, its a wash out.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
weather forecast looks bad until end of the week. hope the DR dries out a bit by then for me!