pet question

mallopuff

Jun 21, 2006
hopefully someone knows this since my last question was answered so quickly! :bunny:

what are the rules on bringing pets into the country? (i have 3 cats and 3 ferrets) is there a quarrantine period? are they allowed in at all?

furthermore- if anyone knows anything about ferrets:

is such a warm environment safe for them? i know they like the cold.

G

gary short

Sooooo......you're going to bring 3 ferrets and 3 cats with you...........................can you put them all in the same travel cage.......pppppplllllllleeeease.........

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
seriously

On a trip to Monte Cristi-Manzanillo, we saw several herds or families of Mongoose cavorting in the desert sands along the roadside... these are close cousins to our ferrets, with the obvious language barrier, of course.

They seemed very unconcerned about the lack of snow, but I couldn't be sure.

Perhaps you could hide a ferret inside each cat?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you do a search on "travelling with pets" you should find all the informatin you'll need.

Please understand that cats, mongoose, ferrets are potential carriers of rabies and we do have rabies in this country. In fact this is one of the few places in the Caribbean where you may bet a chance to see a rabies victim and how they die.

That said, I do believe you should see if ferrets are allowed into the DR. I just don't know.

HB :ermm:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The cats wont be a problem, provided you have the right paperwork, but the ferrets will be confiscated for sure no matter what paperwork you have or who told you its ok to bring them. Thats just my opinion though.

mallopuff

Jun 21, 2006
i have done a search on travelling with pets... and suprisingly enough... no information about ferrets. i love them and they are important to me, so it's kind of important to know for sure.

p.s. (one ferret inside of each cat is the best idea i've heard so far ;) haha)

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Only in the "Beastmaster" movie. That guy traveled all over with 2 of them in a little pouch.;)

They are considered an exotic pet in the US, and probably most other places, and as such would require a special dispensation to import. I can imagine a potential ecological mini-disaster if a breeding pair of these critters got loose in the DR.

mallopuff

Jun 21, 2006
if my ferrets breed- it will be a medical miracle.

(they're all boys)

one of the cats always tries to have sex with them, but i don't think that would work either....

p.s. i am the beastmaster.

:pirate:

G

gary short

Chris said:
Wow! Things grow big here... Can you imagine BIG Ferrets!

RRRRRRRRUUUUNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GIANT CHILD EATING FERRETS........OH THE HUMANITY........FOR THE LOVE OF GOD RRRRRUUUUNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

monsoon68

Dec 19, 2005
If you search "hurones +dominicana", you will find that there are ferrets in the Republica Dominicana (Ferret = Huron in Spanish). There seems to be a guy in Santiago who sells them.

Ferrets can live in hot weather. I have them when I was a child and the Summer temperature was up to 44C.
http://www.mundodominicano.com/md/elpais.php?p=9fauna

It seems that you need an import permit (permiso de importacion). Check this link: http://www.webdominicana.com/entry-en.html

If I was you, I would contact the closest embassy to enquire about it.

Happy travelling!