Do you see big changes in Sosua

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
I've been going there for over 17 years, and to be honest with you everything seems the same. Clubs open and clubs close, but most all it's a place I go to and have the best time of my life. I understand people saying there's going to be the changes. All the Bars, clubs, restaurants owners I know say if they make enough to survive they would be very happy. But what I'm reading is people with big-money are looking to come to our little town and change it completely. I've seen what happened to South Beach Miami and Nassau Freeport. I used to visit these places but way out of my price range now. I respect and read all your information that you people put on DR1, I would appreciate some feedback, do you see these big changes and if so what timeframe. Also please before you answer, if you can please go to Sosuanews.com I have posted under your opinion something today on this matter which you should find very interesting and also on May 30. Like I said I really enjoy reading all your information on the Dominican Republic very informative thank you Archie.

Last edited:

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
Please get back

Was hopeing some people would get back on this, like to know what people think is going to happen in the near furture with Sosua, hope nothing.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
I know that there are American developers looking very seriously at various developments in Sosua.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
SURFUP69 said:
But what I'm reading is people with big-money are looking to come to our little town and change it completely. I've seen what happened to South Beach Miami and Nassau Freeport. I used to visit these places but way out of my price range now.
Let's hope it doesn't happen. They've done enough damage as it is. I for one would love to be back to the way it was 15 years ago.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
http://www.sosuanews.com/index.html has a brief article about development ideas for Sosua. It's down the page a bit, dated June 8. How likely is it that the things mentioned will come to pass and should they?

"The present beach around Sos?a bay will be turned into a boulevard with many terraces and restaurants in Victorian style. The slums of El Tablon will be cleared away and the plan is to construct a marina on this spot. The main road from El Batey will become a pedestrian zone and will be turned into a promenade."

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Victor Laszlo said:
http://www.sosuanews.com/index.html has a brief article about development ideas for Sosua. It's down the page a bit, dated June 8. How likely is it that the things mentioned will come to pass and should they?

"The present beach around Sos?a bay will be turned into a boulevard with many terraces and restaurants in Victorian style. The slums of El Tablon will be cleared away and the plan is to construct a marina on this spot. The main road from El Batey will become a pedestrian zone and will be turned into a promenade."
Yep, and the real Sosua will be gone forever. Most of you don't have any idea what life was like here in the good old days. You would have had to live the early 80's here to understand. I hope I'll be living somewhere else when this happens.

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
I remember the old days

I remember the old days when Moby Dick was opened, what a beautiful club that was. And when you walked out of Moby Dick's across the street there was another club forget the name and that was real crazy there. And next to Rocky's or was Rocky's was a German bar that had a lot of nice people there. And of course Fat Herman was a place to sit and watch all the action in the morning with the girls fighting and all the war stories. Peter who was part owner of the the bar at that time was a very good friend of mine. We used to arm wrestle together and he also had a bar on the beach that we would go to. I was so sad when I heard that he had died because back in those days he was a great part of Sosua. I really still think this may not happen because of the certain kind of person that has to live there. When I go there I make sure that I have a very secure place to sleep with security guard and a safe box in your room. And when I go out I take a certain amount of money that I know I'm going to blow that day and night. And even as experiences as I am I still get robbed, but they only get the money that I know I'm going to lose that day. Also I make sure I stay on the Main Street with the lights and no side streets at night. So the person that lives here really has to be streetsmart or you will lose. If they try to develop this place they would have to put a wall around all of Sosua and Army guards all around too, just to protect the place. Like you see in all these resorts, can't see this happening. I'll let somebody else talk ask me any questions Archie.

Last edited:

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
I think that you go to the wrong places and hang out with low life. You get robbed every time you go out? Where do you go? Definitely not hanging with a good crowd. Sounds like you get drunk, drugged, or hang out with prostitutes. Get a life.
The developments that I know are on the few million dollar side of realestate and will cater to middle class income americans who can't afford expensive private villas.

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
Charlielyn

Charlielyn, see that's the problem people like you who are on their high chair looking for the sophisticated high class life should just stay were you are. Like I said I'd been going to Sosua over 17 years, and no I don't get robbed every day, and don't ever do drugs. And I don't know where you hang out in Sosua, mostly everybody there does drink and have a great time. I hit mostly every bar in Sosua and know most of the owners, and have a lot of great friends. I don't consider any of the places low class or the people low lives. Like I said before you stay in your own little perfect place and leave the nice people of Sosua alone. Evidently it's not your cup of tea anyways. Sorry I had to stoop this low to you, because I never judge people I don't know.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Charlielyn said:
I think that you go to the wrong places and hang out with low life. You get robbed every time you go out? Where do you go? Definitely not hanging with a good crowd. Sounds like you get drunk, drugged, or hang out with prostitutes. Get a life.
The developments that I know are on the few million dollar side of realestate and will cater to middle class income americans who can't afford expensive private villas.

Its sounds like you have never been to Sosua or the DR even for that matter. Heres an idea.....

Come visit the country and even possibly the town but be sure to hire 50 bodyguards because it sounds like you need them or...

Go stick your head back in the sand and be as clueless as you are now.

:tired:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Change is a part of everything.

Cherish what you know today while you can, because tomorrow its a different deal!

Besides, how do you think a town like Sosua as you know it, came to be in what was a former banana plantation?

And before that there was nothing and look what "change" created, a place many DR1ers like.

Well, it's time for Sosua to change again into something better and if you don't like the new Sosua, then thank God for the memories of the old that you were lucky enough to experience.

As usual, someone will eventually like the new Sosua, that's why many places that change become success!

-NALs

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Hes right it will constantly change. This will be based upon the people willing to invest their money into the town and how they want to spend it. Do I picture Sosua turning into the next Miami Beach? Definitely not the real estate market in the DR doesnt work the same was as it does in the US (financing). Combine this with the current investers in Miami now losing their shirts on real estate and it leaves a bad taste in their mouth for trying someplace else I would think.

Just my opinion I could be wrong.

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
Perfectly understand what the two of you are trying to say, but this has been my dream that when I retire I live the rest of my life there. Hopefully this still will happen. Since I've been going there, really hasn't been any real big changes. I see all my friends and have the best my life. I appreciate what you had to say, makes a lot of sense.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Those names

SURFUP69 said:
I remember the old days when Moby Dick was opened, what a beautiful club that was. And when you walked out of Moby Dick's across the street there was another club forget the name and that was real crazy there. And next to Rocky's or was Rocky's was a German bar that had a lot of nice people there. And of course Fat Herman was a place to sit and watch all the action in the morning with the girls fighting and all the war stories. Peter who was part owner of the the bar at that time was a very good friend of mine. We used to arm wrestle together and he also had a bar on the beach that we would go to. I was so sad when I heard that he had died because back in those days he was a great part of Sosua. I really still think this may not happen because of the certain kind of person that has to live there. When I go there I make sure that I have a very secure place to sleep with security guard and a safe box in your room. And when I go out I take a certain amount of money that I know I'm going to blow that day and night. And even as experiences as I am I still get robbed, but they only get the money that I know I'm going to lose that day. Also I make sure I stay on the Main Street with the lights and no side streets at night. So the person that lives here really has to be streetsmart or you will lose. If they try to develop this place they would have to put a wall around all of Sosua and Army guards all around too, just to protect the place. Like you see in all these resorts, can't see this happening. I'll let somebody else talk ask me any questions Archie.

Across from Moby Dick was Club Marinera or something like that. The German Bar next to Rocky's was called Dr. Quaks and it was owned by two German businessmen who are still in business to this day Ollie and Matias who now own the Four Roses. They are great friends of mine and really know how to do business in the DR.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
DominicanScotty said:
Across from Moby Dick was Club Marinera or something like that.
That used to be the best bar in Sosua. It was called El Marinero.
DominicanScotty said:
The German Bar next to Rocky's was called Dr. Quaks and it was owned by two German businessmen who are still in business to this day Ollie and Matias who now own the Four Roses. They are great friends of mine and really know how to do business in the DR.
The bar you refer to, which was originally known as Chiringuito, then Dr. Quaks, was never owned by your two friends. It must have been another bar.
The land was first purchased from the owners of the Oasis by a German/Canadian who still lives here, but is now retired.
He has recently sold it to a few American fellows, who intend on fully renovating it into a bar/rest/hotel.

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
Dominican Scotty, the Four Roses is this bar by the Campo Bar or on the other side by the Checkpoint. Have to go in to see them, if that's them they will remember me, thank you

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006
Four Roses is across from Plaza Alegria, near Plaza Sosua. Great, low key spot to hang out and chat.

Chris

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
I could have swore

Rocky said:
That used to be the best bar in Sosua. It was called El Marinero.

The bar you refer to, which was originally known as Chiringuito, then Dr. Quaks, was never owned by your two friends. It must have been another bar.
The land was first purchased from the owners of the Oasis by a German/Canadian who still lives here, but is now retired.
He has recently sold it to a few American fellows, who intend on fully renovating it into a bar/rest/hotel.

El Marinero was a hopping place that's for sure. Boy do I miss that place.
I thought Matais told me he owned Dr. Quaks, ok, it was then another bar on that street. Anyway Matias and Ollie do own Four Roses, unless that has suddenly changed. I am sure you'll let me know Marco. ;-p

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Four Roses

SURFUP69 said:
Dominican Scotty, the Four Roses is this bar by the Campo Bar or on the other side by the Checkpoint. Have to go in to see them, if that's them they will remember me, thank you

Yep, just down the street. Pass the Europa Hotel, then the Domino Bar. Four Roses is a small place that I use as my starting point at night. I really like Matais and Ollie. Ollie is in Southeast Asia right now setting up a business there. Matais is watching the fort while Ollie is away. Don't forget the NY Shark Bar.