Thread: Wireless

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wireless

Can someone explain how wireless internet might work in SD.

I am bringing my laptop, and already know that there is not an internet connection in my apartment. So I am only going to be there for 7 weeks at this point, no need to get a hook up.

However, I am wondering if I had a router, if I could get online somehow.

Thanks

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you a blond? Just wondering.
    AZB

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nope

Not sure why you would waste time asking that question.....it really has nothing to do with my post, ...my experience on this forum has been very positive so far, don't ruin it with inappropriate comments....get over it...my haircolor is really none of your concerns....if it was blonde, doesn't mean I wouldn't ask the same questions.

I read an article online last night that said WIFI in the DR was much different than the US, ...so i would like to be prepared. Didn't know I had to explain why I was asking questions....

Thanks

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You could ask one of the internet cafes if you can connect to their network. You'll not get internet in your apartment with a router, unless someone else has a wireless network somewhere that you can somehow access.

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't there a thread a while ago about "hot spots" in Santo Domingo?

Let me take a peek in the Search section and see.

HB

Post Thanks / Like

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianGurl
    Can someone explain how wireless internet might work in SD.

I am bringing my laptop, and already know that there is not an internet connection in my apartment. So I am only going to be there for 7 weeks at this point, no need to get a hook up.

However, I am wondering if I had a router, if I could get online somehow. Thanks
    The question is, where would you connect the router if you have no internet source? Its like saying, I don't have a phone line in my house but can i make calls with my wireless phone?
    solution:
    If you would be staying in a building then there is a chance someone will have a wireless broadcast in an apartment near your place. if the wireless is open (meaning without a security code) then you can steal their signal and get connected via your laptop).
    AZB

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZB
    If you would be staying in a building then there is a chance someone will have a wireless broadcast in an apartment near your place. if the wireless is open (meaning without a security code) then you can steal their signal and get connected via your laptop).
    AZB
    If you will be so lucky as to have wireless signal in your apartment, and in very unlikely case that your neighbor was so savvy or paranoid as to lock the signal, download WEP cracker off the net and (assuming that your WiFi savvy neighbor has any decent traffic on his wireless) you will have password in a few hours.

You can increase your chances for picking up wireless by using one of Linksys routers re-flashed to become a receiver (search web for the models which are suitable for it).

Disclaimer: information above is provided for educational purposes only and not intended to encourage theft of wireless bandwidth from unsuspecting neighbors.

Almost any internet "cafe" will let you connect your laptop to the LAN, there are plenty of those places around SD. Cost can be as low as RD$25/hour (less then a dollar) in small place up to RD$120/hour (about 4 dollars) in fancy location in one of central malls, but in any case it should be affordable enough. Be very careful carrying laptop on the streets though…