Not only Sosua...

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Rick Snyder said:
This is a shocking story, well maybe not shocking, but disturbing to say the least.

However, one peace of information I think is important to note is that the English version on dominicantoday.com mentions that the assailants were in their 30s. In the Spanish version on CDN, it mentions that none of the assailants were older than 30.

It's a small detail, but it gives insight into the segment of the population people need to become weary of, in other words the young adult population. I'm sure MOST are wonderful kids, but....

To Rellosk: Ciudad Satelite Duarte is an ungated middle class residential development of single family homes. It's located at the 12.5 kilometer on the Autopista Duarte.

There are several factors that could be seen which could had attributed to the resent spike in crime in that neighborhood:

1. It's a middle class relatively new neighborhood that is NOT gated.

2. It's snuggled right by the AUTOPISTA Duarte (where every type of person passes through - plus gives assailants a quick and easy get away route).

3. According to their website, the urbanization development has everything a middle class person would need to live (ie. constant electricity, clean water, etc) except it fails to mention it's own security guards or even if the community is gated, etc etc).

Look here for more info on this development (sorry, it's only available in Spanish): http://www.ciudadsateliteduarte.com.do/somos.htm

If you click on the model homes (ie. Dorada, etc) you will notice these homes are not "luxurious" per se...

-NALs

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Update on this news....

According to El Caribe,

The police chief, Bernardo Santana P?ez, order the Dept of Criminal Investigations of Santo Domingo West to respond to the claims of the residents of Ciudad Satelite Duarte who have seen a recent mini-wave of robberies in their neighborhood.

The chief also ordered more police presence in that neighborhood who will monitor the area for any criminal activity on motorcycles.

Coronel Lirio Rojas Acosta had a community meeting with residents of Ciudad Satelite Duarte in order to discuss the recent spike in robberies in the neighborhood and apply a solution to the problem.

Source (only in Spanish): http://www.elcaribecdn.com/articulo...d=C4C90CEEA99340048FE5DC027A068342&Seccion=63

-NALs

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
thats very sad. from what I read I would think for a home invasion like that someone knew what was inside and planned this out. to split the proceeds of a poor persons house or take a chance of robbing it with 8 people and coming out with nothing probably isnt worth the risk. I would bet someone had prior knowledge of what was inside the house to make it worth their while to pick that one.

Strangely how come we never hear about robbers entering someones house and getting shot and killed for breaking in? Certainly people will get sick of this type of behavior and will decide to take matters into their own hands.