Looking for Billiard Table

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am looking to purchase a billiard table, preferably with a slate bed. So far, I have found one local manufacturer in Santiago, but they say they are using formica for the bed surface. I am located on the North Coast of the DR.

I would prefer an 8 foot table, but will consider other sizes.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
3 strikes so far on the Pool table

Thus far, I have been in touch with 3 people selling pool tables. All have sold earlier in the same day that I contacted the sellers. Does anyone else have a pool table? I could try to contact you and guarantee someone else buys it before I get the chance :ermm: Just kidding. (If this was baseball I would have 3 strikes and be out. )

Seriously, if anyone knows of any tables for sale. Please let me know.

Also, if anyone is familiar with the company Fabrica De Billares Alberto that builds tables in Santiago, it appears they use formica over wood for the bed of the table. Did we understand that correctly? With the humid conditions here in the DR, how does such a table hold up?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
windeguy said:
Thus far, I have been in touch with 3 people selling pool tables. All have sold earlier in the same day that I contacted the sellers. Does anyone else have a pool table? I could try to contact you and guarantee someone else buys it before I get the chance :ermm: Just kidding. (If this was baseball I would have 3 strikes and be out. )

Seriously, if anyone knows of any tables for sale. Please let me know.

Also, if anyone is familiar with the company Fabrica De Billares Alberto that builds tables in Santiago, it appears they use formica over wood for the bed of the table. Did we understand that correctly? With the humid conditions here in the DR, how does such a table hold up?

There are some great antique, hard wood pool tables out there. You will find them in the most out-of-the-way places, like hole-in-the-wall billiard rooms or under thatched open enclosures in barrios and small villages. Go ahead, check these places out, and when you find one, make the owner an offer he can't resist....

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Mirador said:
There are some great antique, hard wood pool tables out there. You will find them in the most out-of-the-way places, like hole-in-the-wall billiard rooms or under thatched open enclosures in barrios and small villages. Go ahead, check these places out, and when you find one, make the owner an offer he can't resist....
I don't think his concern is the material the table is made of as much as the bed material. The OP probably wants a table with a slate bed.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
After a littel calling around:

I made some calls around after doing a search for Fabricas de Billares on superpagesdr.com

I foung Fabrica de Billares Alberto in Santiago, Billares Rey in LaVega and one called Boricua in Santo Domingo.

It turns out that most tables made in the DR have a "Criolla" version for the bed. That bed is made of cement. For a 4x8 table you get three pieces for the bed. The other option at some makers is "Americana" which is slate. For example, asking price at Billares Rey in La Vega for a 4 X 8 foot table was $RD40,000 pesos for a Criolla/cement and $RD55,000 pesos for Americana/slate. That includes delivery, set-up and an accessory kit. If you need to replace a bed or build your own table, you can buy just the 3 pieces of cement for $RD3,000

I saw some of their work in a pool hall in Cabarete. The Cement bed models, I was told. They look like and feel like a standard bar table, sturdily made and in good shape after quite a bit of use.

I am still looking for a decent used 8 foot table, but may end up having to purchase a new one. Thanks for the suggestions .

Last edited: