Salsa Artist Willie Col?n 'stepping down'

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Initially I was not going to post this article about one of my favorite salsa heroes but after reading it and enjoying it I figured someone else who also admires Willie Colón may appreciate reading this article/ interview as well.

If you know who Willie Colón is chances are you know about his legendary career going back to his days with Héctor Lavoe, Rubén Blades and the whole Fania all-stars era. Well, Willie C is stepping down. The album he is working on may be his last one and I must say he is leaving behind footsteps that can't be copied as an artist and trombonist. Known as "El Malo" I dare to say there is no other salsero today comparable to Willie Colón's style and this is what I like to see an artist recognizes that his time is up and does not wait until his albums stop selling or begins to produce inferior music before he retires. As the critics say 'step down in your glory' and let the fans remember you for your legendary music and what you contributed to the genre.

Two key questions that I thought were important and well answered in the interview were about the future of salsa. The golden age has come and gone, salsa is transforming but what does it mean for the genre? The question of whether salsa will even be a marketable genre in the near future was put on the table. The other fundamental question was "why", why is salsa not what it used to be? Again Willie Colón provided an interesting response in his interview and it's key because he said salsa talent is available in artists such as Marc Anthony, Gilberto Santa Rosa and others but Willie Colón said it best- lo que hace falta es pueblo y calle.

Here is the link to the interview.Willie C-El Malo

-LDG.
Willie Colón - a tremendous musician, trombonist and salsero.

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
de acuerdo

Yes, Willie is no doubt a wonderful musician and a salsa great in every respect. His music definitely has caused and continues to burn holes in the shoes of some of us when we go salsa dancing. One of the things that I really like him for was the wonderful result of some of his collaboration with Celia Cruz. Willie Colon and Celia Cruz worked together on albums such as "The winners", "Only they could have made this album" and "Celia and Willie" and these albums in my opinion are some of Celia's best salsa efforts.

I particularly liked these albums and it is also very interesting that he really allowed Celia Cruz to come out and sing her salsa with that cuban traditional 'son' feeling in the background which stresses less on the horns but more on the bongo drums. Excellent production in my opinion.

Willie Colon.....a great musician, producer and very jolly good guy.

Yes, we like him

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Sholly24-

I agree with you not only regarding his impressive collaborative efforts with Celia Cruz but the stages and phases of his career are what set him apart from the average salsa artist then and now. As the article states he founded and perfected what is called "salsa urbana" and those barrios of NY were transformed by sounds of Willie Colón's salsa. One aspect that I have always liked is the rhythm of his music. For me it's all about rhythm and Willie Colón has the ability to take his own style above and beyond and without a doubt his trademark is "el trombón". As well, he is the master of fusioned beats IMO. Most of his songs have a special Caribbean flavor which I can recognize from the onset and it could be from the influence of bomba y plena a rhythm specific to PR and unmistakingly identifiable in many of his salsas.

His next album possibly his last should be interesting since he has been on hiatus for a while. He slowed down tremendously after his 2000 production called "Demasiado corazón" which is an incredible album BTW. If you ever see it pick it up. It will have you puzzled. Again Willie C plays on the fusion of rhythms and heavy on any authentically Caribbean sounding. Some of the beats even remind me of the kind of music I love from El Gran Combo and surely you know what they can do when it comes to salsa. In Demasiado corazón Willie C reveals yet another rhythmical talent not tested before which is cumbia and believe me nothing like Colombian cumbia. It's what he calls "cumbia bomba" and it is indeed. Willie Colón... passing the torch and leaving a legacy of exceptional salsa music.

-LDG.