calls from DR to USA WILL BE CHEAPER!!!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Not sure

rich17 said:
TRICOM IS LOWERING THEIR RATES. (The effects of DR-CAFTA)

This has to do with DR-CAFTA, and its only from their wireline phone residence phones not Celulars or centros. Now if there were only thousands of residence phones provided by TRICOM. Won't make much difference unless Verizon? matches. even if they drop the cost of Cel calls their market presence is not that great. Largest Provider for Cells is Orange, followed closely by Verizon?

Tricom slashes price of US calls
As of today, Tricom has lowered the rate of international long distance calls to the United States to only RD$0.95 per minute when made from its residential lines. This is the same price as a local call, according to a report by Diario Libre. The announcement was made by Marketing Vice President Jose Salce who highlighted that this will represent a significant benefit to thousands of Dominicans who have relatives in the US.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I cannot think it is the effects of DR-Cafta, as we have yet to see the implementation, effects are still far in the future. What am I missing? What part of DR-Cafta has already had an impact on the telecom industry?

This has more to do with trying to gain or regain lost marketshare. Skype is still cheaper ;)

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
hear hear

Chris said:
I cannot think it is the effects of DR-Cafta, as we have yet to see the implementation, effects are still far in the future. What am I missing? What part of DR-Cafta has already had an impact on the telecom industry?

This has more to do with trying to gain or regain lost marketshare. Skype is still cheaper ;)

Has nothing with CAFTA, and won't help their marketshare either, They have bleed enough ink to start a blood bank or 3. Last I heard they had about 40.000 wire customers nationwide. Maybe a few more.
And they are not doing to well in the Stock Market either this is almost a penny stock

TRICOM SA ADR (NYSE:TDR)
Last 1.25 Change Unch
Open 0.00 Volume 0
Bid N/A Avg Volume 4,000
Ask N/A Today's High 0.00
Bid Size N/A Today's Low 0.00
Ask Size N/A 52 Week High 2.54
Last Trade Time 09:09a ET 52 Week Low 0.80

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
VoIP ? ? ?

* I suspect that this may be resulting from VoIP?
* Many foreigners with PCs & DSL connections, myself included, have switched to VoIP. I'm using Vonage. Works fine; 500" for US $17 / month. Works fine with cell phones or land lines. Reception, etc. as good as Verizon land lines.
* The wave of the future? Verizon will have to lower USA call prices. When? 3 - 6 - 9 - 12 months?
* Or, . . as soon as the internet cafes begin widespread use of VoIP. Some huge web sites are offering or threatening free VoIP. Check www.Netzero.com VoIP will come to the Bronx, soon! Then the war is over!
* The law of supply & demand rasies its sovereign hand. Thank you, Adam Smith. Thank you, Great Britain!