Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Please tell me it's worth it!!

I accepted a job in La Romana back in April and am due to move to DR in 8 weeks. I am in the process of trying to sort everything in the Uk out- and do my current job. i have had trouble with Dominican Consul- the one i was using in Liverpool, having closed down (an up to date website would have helped!) and my time limit is getting shorter and shorter. I am completely stressed out with all the preparations- trying to rent my house out, sorting out the financial side, selling my car, packing all my things up and placing them in storage, limiting my life's possessions to 64kg and attempting to learn Spanish- all too slowly!

The thing is I have been reading some of the threads about finances and inflation and rising crime and false friends/being exploited for money and am starting to wonder if I'm doing the right thing. Of course I am bound by contract and i have given notice on my current teaching job (not that you'd know it from the prssure i'm still under!) so I have no choice now but to see it through. I suppose time will tell, but I am just looking for some reassurance that I AM doing the right thing! I need to see light at the end of the tunnel to keep me going! You all live there so there must be plus points! Please help!!

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Future Uncertain

Quote Originally Posted by pol73
    ....I am just looking for some reassurance that I AM doing the right thing! I need to see light at the end of the tunnel to keep me going!...
    If you see two lights at the end of the tunnel, be careful.
    It might be the locomotive of an oncoming train.

Well, here we don't have trains (yet).
    (Metro still under construction....)

You must have had reasons to give up your (well paid ?) job in order to take up the one in Romana.
    Only you know whether these outweigh the problems you're going through at the moment.
    Your motives will certainly be put to the test here as you do not know the country.
    But as you say, time will tell.

Good luck!

m'frog
    Last edited by mountainfrog; 06-27-2006 at 05:11 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

just fly with it man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

You will be fine, trust in yourself. You will love the island.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

You will be fine, trust in yourself. You will love the island.

ooops pressed the button too many times.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, only you will know yourself, your reasons, what you have, and what you get.
    Hopefully a new experience in life, will bring you alot and it will be worth it!
    Good luck!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Possibly an early mid-life crisis! I wanted to experience life overseas- i wanted out of UK teaching with all the stress-and red tape and excessive paperwork. I got the job through UK recruitment, and was prepared to go wherever the work was really.I was told it was a good financial package (relatively!)...and i would be able to save money as well as send money home to the uk, but the more i read the less i'm sure of the latter! If i'm going to be struggling financially, then I'm trading like for like! (I live alone and the UK housing market is evil!) I just wondered what other things i would benefit from-apart from the weather, which is obvious! ;-) My main priority was that I was really hoping for less stress but now i'm not convinced!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on what your expectations are and what you are looking for.

Have you been here before? If not then picking up here and moving can be overwhelming. Especially as you said you do not speak Spanish.

I moved here about 10 months ago and I know how stressful it is to organize what you are leaving behind....I went thorugh all the same things. However, I had some fairly strong ties here before I started to make the move. I had a strong network of friends which I developed though this site, a fair idea as to the cultural differences I would face as I had been here at least 10 times on vacations, a halfway decent grasp of the Spanish language, and a decent nest egg in place in case the job I was coming to did not develop into something I wanted to continue for a long period of time as happened to be the case. I was also lucky enough that a poster from here took me into his furnished apartment as a roomate so there was not alot of "setting up hassle" when I arrived. We also have a maid and I have not done a load of laundry or washed a dish since I have been here . It sounds like you are making more of a "bang bang" move. That does not mean things will not work out for you or that you will be unhappy, but, you are going to have to learn to deal with a lot of differences and annoyances (there are many) that were not present in your previous life.

Is it worth it? For me it has been. I am happy and have no intention of leaving anytime soon. But, in order for it to be worth it for you, you will have to embrace complete change in your life. Go into it with a positive attitude and you can find alot to like about this country. That and stay close to this message board for advice and to develop good friendships.

Larry
    Last edited by Larry; 06-27-2006 at 05:47 PM.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 Years Only

... hoping for less stress but now i'm not convinced!
    Life is definitely more relaxed here, which again can also lead to more stress if you can't get things done in the time you are used to.
    However, the experience to work and live abroad will broaden your horizon and enable you to see life differently in a wider view.
    Two years is not that long a time and after it you might even want to stay longer ....
    Let us know how things go.

m'frog

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Possibly an early mid-life crisis! I wanted to experience life overseas- i wanted out of UK teaching with all the stress-and red tape and excessive paperwork. I got the job through UK recruitment, and was prepared to go wherever the work was really.I was told it was a good financial package (relatively!)...and i would be able to save money as well as send money home to the uk, but the more i read the less i'm sure of the latter! If i'm going to be struggling financially, then I'm trading like for like! (I live alone and the UK housing market is evil!) I just wondered what other things i would benefit from-apart from the weather, which is obvious! ;-) My main priority was that I was really hoping for less stress but now i'm not convinced!
    If my only source of information was dr1 and if life here is as bad as it sounds in some of the threads, I would not have been here for 20 years. Look forward to the change with enthusiasm and when you get here keep the good sense and values that you have now. If you do that, you will be fine and will be respected by your colleagues and the parents of your students.

Life here is, as mountainfrog said, less stressful, or will be if you learn to go with the flow. Time doesn't have the same meaning here as it does there, but you can't have it both ways. If you accept things they way they are and don't try to get people to do things they way they are done where you are now, you will be amazed how relaxed you become.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast