Please tell me it's worth it!!

pol73

May 21, 2006
I accepted a job in La Romana back in April and am due to move to DR in 8 weeks. I am in the process of trying to sort everything in the Uk out- and do my current job. i have had trouble with Dominican Consul- the one i was using in Liverpool, having closed down (an up to date website would have helped!) and my time limit is getting shorter and shorter. I am completely stressed out with all the preparations- trying to rent my house out, sorting out the financial side, selling my car, packing all my things up and placing them in storage, limiting my life's possessions to 64kg and attempting to learn Spanish- all too slowly!

The thing is I have been reading some of the threads about finances and inflation and rising crime and false friends/being exploited for money and am starting to wonder if I'm doing the right thing. Of course I am bound by contract and i have given notice on my current teaching job (not that you'd know it from the prssure i'm still under!) so I have no choice now but to see it through. I suppose time will tell, but I am just looking for some reassurance that I AM doing the right thing! I need to see light at the end of the tunnel to keep me going! You all live there so there must be plus points! Please help!!

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Future Uncertain

pol73 said:
....I am just looking for some reassurance that I AM doing the right thing! I need to see light at the end of the tunnel to keep me going!...

If you see two lights at the end of the tunnel, be careful.
It might be the locomotive of an oncoming train. :laugh:

Well, here we don't have trains (yet).
(Metro still under construction....)

You must have had reasons to give up your (well paid ?) job in order to take up the one in Romana.
Only you know whether these outweigh the problems you're going through at the moment.
Your motives will certainly be put to the test here as you do not know the country.
But as you say, time will tell.

Good luck!

m'frog

Last edited:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
You will be fine, trust in yourself. You will love the island.

ooops pressed the button too many times.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I agree, only you will know yourself, your reasons, what you have, and what you get.
Hopefully a new experience in life, will bring you alot and it will be worth it!
Good luck!

pol73

May 21, 2006
Possibly an early mid-life crisis! I wanted to experience life overseas- i wanted out of UK teaching with all the stress-and red tape and excessive paperwork. I got the job through UK recruitment, and was prepared to go wherever the work was really.I was told it was a good financial package (relatively!)...and i would be able to save money as well as send money home to the uk, but the more i read the less i'm sure of the latter! If i'm going to be struggling financially, then I'm trading like for like! (I live alone and the UK housing market is evil!) I just wondered what other things i would benefit from-apart from the weather, which is obvious! ;-) My main priority was that I was really hoping for less stress but now i'm not convinced!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
It depends on what your expectations are and what you are looking for.

Have you been here before? If not then picking up here and moving can be overwhelming. Especially as you said you do not speak Spanish.

I moved here about 10 months ago and I know how stressful it is to organize what you are leaving behind....I went thorugh all the same things. However, I had some fairly strong ties here before I started to make the move. I had a strong network of friends which I developed though this site, a fair idea as to the cultural differences I would face as I had been here at least 10 times on vacations, a halfway decent grasp of the Spanish language, and a decent nest egg in place in case the job I was coming to did not develop into something I wanted to continue for a long period of time as happened to be the case. I was also lucky enough that a poster from here took me into his furnished apartment as a roomate so there was not alot of "setting up hassle" when I arrived. We also have a maid and I have not done a load of laundry or washed a dish since I have been here :). It sounds like you are making more of a "bang bang" move. That does not mean things will not work out for you or that you will be unhappy, but, you are going to have to learn to deal with a lot of differences and annoyances (there are many) that were not present in your previous life.

Is it worth it? For me it has been. I am happy and have no intention of leaving anytime soon. But, in order for it to be worth it for you, you will have to embrace complete change in your life. Go into it with a positive attitude and you can find alot to like about this country. That and stay close to this message board for advice and to develop good friendships.

Larry

Last edited:

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
2 Years Only

pol73 said:
... hoping for less stress but now i'm not convinced!

Life is definitely more relaxed here, which again can also lead to more stress if you can't get things done in the time you are used to.
However, the experience to work and live abroad will broaden your horizon and enable you to see life differently in a wider view.
Two years is not that long a time and after it you might even want to stay longer ....
Let us know how things go.

m'frog

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
pol73 said:
Possibly an early mid-life crisis! I wanted to experience life overseas- i wanted out of UK teaching with all the stress-and red tape and excessive paperwork. I got the job through UK recruitment, and was prepared to go wherever the work was really.I was told it was a good financial package (relatively!)...and i would be able to save money as well as send money home to the uk, but the more i read the less i'm sure of the latter! If i'm going to be struggling financially, then I'm trading like for like! (I live alone and the UK housing market is evil!) I just wondered what other things i would benefit from-apart from the weather, which is obvious! ;-) My main priority was that I was really hoping for less stress but now i'm not convinced!

If my only source of information was dr1 and if life here is as bad as it sounds in some of the threads, I would not have been here for 20 years. Look forward to the change with enthusiasm and when you get here keep the good sense and values that you have now. If you do that, you will be fine and will be respected by your colleagues and the parents of your students.

Life here is, as mountainfrog said, less stressful, or will be if you learn to go with the flow. Time doesn't have the same meaning here as it does there, but you can't have it both ways. If you accept things they way they are and don't try to get people to do things they way they are done where you are now, you will be amazed how relaxed you become.

pol73

May 21, 2006
Thank you...

your words are inspiring. I want a change in life- i want to remember why i started teaching and i want to be less bogged down with "stuff" material- and otherwise. I applied for jobs all over the world and was lucky enough to get this one- the job itself is a fantastic opportunity and i will be well supported, with accommodation, health care and company facilities at my disposal. I suppose I was just worrying that i'll be trading in all my friends and home comforts to live a similar stressful lifestyle just in a hotter climate- and still struggle financially! Which is NOT what I want! Different is fine! that's why I'm coming! Thanks. P x

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Now chill out, make a list of the most important things that have to get done and decide what 'has to give'. Something always 'has to give'... make sure it is the less important thing.

Get on the plane - money, credit cards, address where you need to get to - and sit back and have a beer.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Chris said:
Now chill out, make a list of the most important things that have to get done and decide what 'has to give'. Something always 'has to give'... make sure it is the less important thing.

Get on the plane - money, credit cards, address where you need to get to - and sit back and have a beer.

I agree. You only live once :).

Larry

CloggieBoots

Jan 17, 2004
www.caribbeanwizard.com
La Romana

Hi Pol73

We'll have a beer when you get here. You'll be fine here in La Romana. I think I know where you will teach and if I'm right then I know a few of your future colleagues. I live in La Romana since 2001. You can PM me or email me if you want some 'outside the school' info. But only if you stick a big pot of Marmite in your bag!!

CB

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
U dont need strangers to tell u if its worth it or not! ull figure it out on ure own! u live once and u better live it to the fullest with no regrets, wether its worth it or not doesnt matter its a new life experience that ure gaining!
(thats just the way i see it)

G

gary short

Use for marmite #658- denture glue........#659- fly strip adhesive.