Car rental deals?

MrBoneznyc

Jan 10, 2004
Anyone have any good info on renting 2 suv's from STI airport? good deals from good people. thanks.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Help will be on the way

MrBoneznyc said:
Anyone? no help?

Never mind the sarcasm some people will write here. Many posters have just been burned many times and get a little jaded. However, someone will come along to offer you some help. There are many people on DR1 that live in the Santiago area and know rental car people there. I am from the north coast, why I cannot offer you any assistance here.

Please be patient.

Last edited:

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Rental rates for SUVs with the major companies are IMHO all inflated. I'm talking about 2-3 times the rate for an economy car, and unless you are going to be adventuring in the campo, you probably won't need the Jipeta. Condition of major roads has improved greatly in the last year or so. I drove from Puerto Plata to Bavaro and then past Barahona almost to Pedernales and back to La Romana this month in a Volkswagen Fox rented from Avis for $160 a week. At no time did I feel my little vehicle wasn't adequate for the road conditions (and I got great gas milage too!)

MrBoneznyc

Jan 10, 2004
I have a total of 8 people going and i need something bigger than that, that's why i was looking for a deal, maybe even a van or something.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
no such thing as a good rental deal on an SUV in DR. don't take the risk as the liability is all yours and any accident will always be your fault - no matter what. it takes special talent to drive on dominican roads. be safe not sorry!

MrBoneznyc

Jan 10, 2004
Thats what platinum credit cards are for. and for your info, money talks so its whoever pays better makes the decisions.

Thank you for your advice but to clarify things. 1st i am dominican, I visit about 4x a year. I own a condo in capital. I usuallly rent a small economy, I know how to drive in DR. Yo se como rebasar. I was just wondering if anyone had any good recommendations on car rental place in STI, since i know there are many near the airport but few with online access. But thanks anyways. I guess I will find something on my own, no problem.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
if you are dominican and go there 4x times a year then you should already know this info. and i hate to break the news to you, but your platinum card will not help you in get out of a bind in DR. sorry

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
The comment about what platinum cards are for was no doubt in regard to loss damage waiver insurance, which is an expensive car rental ripoff which your card will cover just as well, (with a little more work on your part.)

It may be true that accidents are always the tourist's fault, but THAT is what liability insurance is for, and it is manditory, and included in the cost of the car rental.

I really get tired of all these Mr. know-it alls who talk about how dangerous it is and make ridiculous statements like "it takes special talent to drive in the DR". I guess thats why there are so many Dominican Formula 1 drivers?

If you aren't confident in your own ability to function independently in another country, that's fine, that's you. I get really tired of people on this board who fall into this category apparently (lacking self-confidence) but think they are qualified to tell ME what is not safe for ME to do.

I agree skyblue that it is tough to find a good rate on an SUV rental. Smaller companies like Adventure are a bit less than the big chains for that, while the major companies have better prices on economy cars.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
when i say "special talent" it's not a compliment. it means you have to drive just as bad as they do to survive the roads. as for dominican formula one driver - never!!!! lol that was a good one!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I basically agree,

skyblue said:
when i say "special talent" it's not a compliment. it means you have to drive just as bad as they do to survive the roads. as for dominican formula one driver - never!!!! lol that was a good one!

although I would phrase it a little differently. I find it necessary to match the agressive style of Dominican drivers, but I draw the line short of passing multiple vehicles on blind mountain curves and other similar lunacy I see every day on the roads there. I find myself always keeping track of whether the road has a usable shoulder in case I need to move over to avoid a headon with someone driving a Prada or Land Cruiser and passing without regard to oncoming traffic.

Milosos

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 2, 2006
Alamo-Pathfinder

MrBoneznyc said:
Anyone have any good info on renting 2 suv's from STI airport? good deals from good people. thanks.

I was able to rent a very nice three seat (7 passenger?) Nissan Pathfinder for $375, including all taxes, fees, extra insurance for glass tires etc from Alamo Great vehicle if you keep it under 160 KPH on road from Barhona to Perdanels, little top heavy on those curves :)

It was a little rough on gas, buy plenty of power to move heavily loaded SUV pass lines of traffic quickly