upscale restaurants near Puerto PLata

Status
Not open for further replies.

pan1975

Jun 9, 2006
I will be at the Breezes Resort in Puerto Plata July 20th-24th. I have a special Dominican lady visiting me from Nagua. We are meeting for the first time. Any recommendations for a really exclusive, romantic dining spot where we can go in the Sousa/Cabarete/Puerto Plata area?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Quo Vadis on Luis Ginebra in Puerto Plata is a VERY upscale restaurant with VERY upscale prices I am led to believe. However, Breezes to Puerto Plata is a 40 minute drive at least so you might be best looking at Sosua & Cabarete & I will let the experts from those areas advise. On The Waterfront or PierreGeogio take my vote for ROMANTIC places. ~ Grahame.

ewrcopopflyer

Apr 7, 2006
go to cafe negril at atlantic hotel calle anacoana in costambar
they have killer ribs on the weekends and great food all the time

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Breezes is between Sosua & Cabarete, so it would be logical to select from one of the two.
Next thing to consider, is the different foods Dominicans eat.
Our tastes are generally quite different, however, most Dominicans love good seafood, so unless you find out she doesn't, or that you don't, that would be the way to go.
Shrimps, Lobster, etc.
In Sosua, your best choices for ambience with good seafood would be the Waterfront & PierGiorgio.
Cabarete may have several.
I only know of the Casa del Pescador, and I don't even know how good it is, so we would need the Cabarete members to chime in with recommendations.
You might want to check with her to see if she likes seafood, and if you like the idea, start another thread, asking for the best Cabarete seafood restaurants with romantic ambience.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Rocky said:
Breezes is between Sosua & Cabarete, so it would be logical to select from one of the two.
Next thing to consider, is the different foods Dominicans eat.
Our tastes are generally quite different, however, most Dominicans love good seafood, so unless you find out she doesn't, or that you don't, that would be the way to go.
Shrimps, Lobster, etc.
In Sosua, your best choices for ambience with good seafood would be the Waterfront & PierGiorgio.
Cabarete may have several.
I only know of the Casa del Pescador, and I don't even know how good it is, so we would need the Cabarete members to chime in with recommendations.
You might want to check with her to see if she likes seafood, and if you like the idea, start another thread, asking for the best Cabarete seafood restaurants with romantic ambience.

In Cabarete I would recomend Papi's on the beach. You eat upstairs overlooking the ocean and beach. Small dominican band always playing. langusta papi style is tremendous. Ice cream desserts are great. Took my wife there for her birthday and she loved it. Tell Papi it is a special occasion and he will be sure to make it one.. tom

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Piergiorgio is over priced

You are correct, Piergiorgio is very romantic the location is great, however the food is not up to par and very overpriced for the quality. Waterfront is much better, if on a nice night you eat on the patio. In Cabarete Papi's food is great and the ambiance can be very romantic. There is also Blue's and Casa Pescadore both very nice.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Piergiorgio?s is not only way overpriced but the food is bad. They can?t even cook pasta right. Go to La Casita {Papi?s) in Cabarete. Order the Longostinos ala Papi or the shrimp a la Papi. The shrimp you have to peel yourself, the longostinos you don?t. The sauce is tremendous and the side of pasta is ten times better than anything Piergiorio could ever come up with.

The Waterfront while better than Piergiorgio?s is nothing to write home about. High prices, average at best food. View is great though at both. Go to Piergiorio?s one day for cocktails only and enjoy the view.

If you want really good lobster and seafood go to Restaurant El Batey in Sosua. They have no view, but the restaurant is elegant and if you order lobster in cream sauce you will never get better. Ask for Richard, the chef and he will show you the lobster first.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There you have it.

Papis gets the Cabarete vote, and El Batey restaurant quite clearly has the best Sosua seafood, but lacks the romantic ambience you desire, so Papis has got to be the #1 choice.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
But for a more romantic evening, sit upstairs .. and not down in the sand with the rest of the plebs ;)

Rocky said:
Papis gets the Cabarete vote, and El Batey restaurant quite clearly has the best Sosua seafood, but lacks the romantic ambience you desire, so Papis has got to be the #1 choice.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Rocky said:
Do I win something for getting the first correct response??? Please...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
twhitehead said:
Do I win something for getting the first correct response??? Please...

You are also right about sitting upstairs. They don?t take reservations and don?t even have a phone. You can go in the daytime though and reserve a table upstairs. Speak to Papi or one of the girls.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
pan1975 said:
I will be at the Breezes Resort in Puerto Plata July 20th-24th. I have a special Dominican lady visiting me from Nagua. We are meeting for the first time. Any recommendations for a really exclusive, romantic dining spot where we can go in the Sousa/Cabarete/Puerto Plata area?

This ought to be good for a laugh or two in a few weeks..

HB

Jimbo734

May 3, 2006
Toma LaLuna is the best restaurant in Cabarete. It is adjacent to the Valero on the east end of the beach

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I second (or at this point... fifth?) Papi's. the "a la Papi's" sauce is incredible, and if you ask, they will peel the shrimp before serving. The restaurant at Velero is also excellent, but not particularly romantic. I think the most romantic restaurant ambience-wise, is Natura in the Perla Marina complex, not far from breezes. It's amidst a small spa resort made up of several thatch roof cabins. Very secluded and tropical and has kind of an exclusive feel to it. They have a very limited menu which is written daily on a chalk board, and the prices are in line with the other restaurtants mentioned here.

Status
Not open for further replies.