I thought I had seen it all - Mule kills master

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
This happened in El Ranchito De Piche, a mountoanous campo in Santiago.

http://www.elnacional.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=57684

I didn't know a mule could do such a thing. The owner didn't see it coming. Plus, the mule kicked him in the most vulnurable spot after he was on the ground so it must have been difficult for the poor man to make his escape.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have pics here on my PC, of a mule kicking a mountain lion's butt.
The mule kicked and bit the lion to death, so it has the power to do it.
One cannot know what this mule went through in life, to be so ornery & nasty, but I can tell you that I read a newspaper story about a fellow in North Carolina who used to beat the heck out of his billy goat on a regular basis, and one day that billly goat killed him.
Heck a dog can kill you if you mistreat him enough, and a mule is one of the most powerful animals on Earth, pound for pound.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
In the article it's mentioned that the mule was mistreated all its life by previous owners so that's it. Still amazing though. I hope they don't put it to sleep. It's not the animal's fault.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Seeing's believing

When you see this mule at work, with the dogs in the background laying back, it gives you an idea that it's not good to p*** off a mule

Mule.jpg

Mule2.jpg

Mule3.jpg

Mule4.jpg

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Hate to rain on the parade

El Tigre said:
This happened in El Ranchito De Piche, a mountoanous campo in Santiago.

http://www.elnacional.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=57684

I didn't know a mule could do such a thing. The owner didn't see it coming. Plus, the mule kicked him in the most vulnurable spot after he was on the ground so it must have been difficult for the poor man to make his escape.

Lets get it right. It's not a Mule, its a Donkey. But Rocky is right Mules and Donkeys both have a long memory, and will at some point get even. liked the fotos of the mule kicking the Lions a$$. Riding mules are great,an much more surefooted than a horse.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Oops. Big mistake. Sorry about that.

Can you explain the difference?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
El Tigre said:
Oops. Big mistake. Sorry about that.

Can you explain the difference?
A mule is simply a cross between a horse and a donkey.
There are two types.
Those sired by a male horse, and those by a male donkey.
They actually have different names and characteristics.
Both types are born sterile, so cannot reproduce.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Mules and jackasses, I think.

Anyway, that paragraph at the end told the story. Been mistreated all its life.

HB :D:D

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
It's incredible the strength and intelligence mules and donkeys have. I've got a donkey at the Ranch that unless we tie his door shut with a rope and many, many knots, he can manage to open it. And the best part is that after he lets himself out, he lets the mule and the cow out too. :cheeky: And for a small guy, he's got the strength of a Clydesdale. A few months ago he dragged his handler about 50m just so he wouldn't have to take his bath. However, with me, he's a puppy dog. :bunny: .

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You ain't kidding.

KateP said:
It's incredible the strength and intelligence mules and donkeys have. I've got a donkey at the Ranch that unless we tie his door shut with a rope and many, many knots, he can manage to open it. And the best part is that after he lets himself out, he lets the mule and the cow out too. :cheeky: And for a small guy, he's got the strength of a Clydesdale. A few months ago he dragged his handler about 50m just so he wouldn't have to take his bath. However, with me, he's a puppy dog. :bunny: .
Rocky, our Spanish Bulldog, that the bar was named for, was a professional killer.
He took everything on, regardless of size, from a cat to a bull, he didn't care, but he got his butt kicked in Jamao by a female donkey.
Being almost as stubborn as the donkey, he kept going back for more, and he did bring her down, three times, and she got out of it each time, a claim no other animal could make, and she kicked him so many times, I thought he would be dead.
It finally ended when she kicked him 25 or 30 linear feet away from her, down the riverbank, and lost sight of him, as I jumped on top of him to cover him up.
Up until that point, there was nothing anybody could do, but watch.
So, the moral of the story is, don't mess with a donkey.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
here rocky

Rocky said:
A mule is simply a cross between a horse and a donkey.
There are two types.
Those sired by a male horse, and those by a male donkey.
They actually have different names and characteristics.
Both types are born sterile, so cannot reproduce.

Breeding a male donkey to a female horse results in a mule; breeding a male horse to a female donkey produces a hinny.

Offspring from either cross, although fully developed as males or females, are almost always sterile. Hence, a line of horses and a line of domestic asses must be maintained to perpetuate mule or hinny production.

http://www.imh.org/imh/bw/mule.html

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
bienamor said:
Breeding a male donkey to a female horse results in a mule; breeding a male horse to a female donkey produces a hinny.

Offspring from either cross, although fully developed as males or females, are almost always sterile. Hence, a line of horses and a line of domestic asses must be maintained to perpetuate mule or hinny production.

http://www.imh.org/imh/bw/mule.html
Thanks bienamor,
I was in a rush, and didn't have time to get a reference, and couldn't remember the Hinny name.
We had a somewhat inebriated debate one day, about who was zooming who, to make a mule, and both ways have their complications, due to size differences.
I could just visualize a little lustful donkey, trying to get up on a stool, or worse yet, wearing high heels....
Anyhow, we finally looked it up on the net, and all went to bed a little less stupid.
BTW: I rode a mule only once in my life, here in the DR, in the roughest terrain, and that thing was so sure footed, both up and down, like a mountain goat.
A couple of times, I landed up with my arms and legs around it's neck, staring it in the face, as it defied gravity.
What a ride.
I'll take a mule anyday.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Rocky said:
Thanks bienamor,
I was in a rush, and didn't have time to get a reference, and couldn't remember the Hinny name.
We had a somewhat inebriated debate one day, about who was zooming who, to make a mule, and both ways have their complications, due to size differences.
I could just visualize a little lustful donkey, trying to get up on a stool, or worse yet, wearing high heels....
Anyhow, we finally looked it up on the net, and all went to bed a little less stupid.
BTW: I rode a mule only once in my life, here in the DR, in the roughest terrain, and that thing was so sure footed, both up and down, like a mountain goat.
A couple of times, I landed up with my arms and legs around it's neck, staring it in the face, as it defied gravity.
What a ride.
I'll take a mule anyday.

I totally agree.;) they are so stubborn, slow, but from getting from point A to point B just amazing.

The mule ride in the Grand Canyon was amazing.. how sure footed they are. The Mountain goats.....NO H.B;) ..... are really a phenomenon how they can keep balance and still play in such a terrain.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Marco - I'm sh_t scared of riding mules. I fell off one and hit my behind pretty hard when I was younger. Bad experience LOL

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am with you tigre. I don't trust horses or mules. I have seen some bad cases of people hurting themselves from falls.
One girl almost broke her neck.
AZB

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
El Tigre said:
Marco - I'm sh_t scared of riding mules. I fell off one and hit my behind pretty hard when I was younger. Bad experience LOL
I guess I never took the time to think about being scared.
I had just walked over an hour through fields & trails, then the mule was offered to me.
The option was an hour or so on the mule, or 3 or 4 hours walking in the hot sun.
Options like that, tend to make you love the mule deal.

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
I've heard people in the DR refer to a bestia. Can anyone tell m exactly what is a bestia?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
azabache said:
I've heard people in the DR refer to a bestia. Can anyone tell m exactly what is a bestia?
It's the Spanish word for "beast".
If your lover calls you a bestia, it may be a good thing.
If your mother calls you that at the dinner table, it's not so good.
If you call your animal a bestia, it might insinuate that it's big, or tough.
You're not likely to refer to your poodle, as a bestia.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Rocky said:
It's the Spanish word for "beast".
If your lover calls you a bestia, it may be a good thing.
If your mother calls you that at the dinner table, it's not so good.
If you call your animal a bestia, it might insinuate that it's big, or tough.
You're not likely to refer to your poodle, as a bestia.

In the DR "bestia", in reference to animals, is used in its connotation of "beast of burden" (bestia de carga)