Haitian maid?

mgregoir

Jun 20, 2006
What does everyone think of hiring a haitian maid. I here they work for cheap, has anyone had any experiences?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
mgregoir said:
What does everyone think of hiring a haitian maid. I here they work for cheap, has anyone had any experiences?
And you are the "Certified, English speaking teacher" looking for employment?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Hire a domestic based on references, not how cheap they work. Someone willing to work ridiculously cheap is desperate. You want a desperate impoverished person in your house every day?

How closely do you want to supervise your domestic help? How would you feel knowing that any knick knack stolen from you was worth several weeks pay? (plenty of time to get another crappy job)

If you can't afford a Dominican maid you should probably wash your own dishes.

mgregoir

Jun 20, 2006
Well, I was looking for employment, but I found it and I have enough money to live off without employment, so I figured why not get a maid. I thought of a Haitian maid not only because I heard they are cheaper, but also because I'm half haitian and speak creole and wouldn't mind a little haitian cuisine. I just really want to know if anyone has had one, and if they do a good job.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
I believe you missed Howmar's point.

HOWMAR said:
And you are the "Certified, English speaking teacher" looking for employment?

You stated that you are a "certified English speaking teacher". Howmar noted your horrible command of the basic English vocabulary.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Good maids are hard to find

Don't you think that the qualities of a good maid would have nothing to do with whether she was Dominican or Haitian.

amigomexicano

Mar 21, 2006
Why do first world people have such a hard time paying their maids a good salary?? I mean, if you live or have lived in the US you most likely have a salary of 5,000-10,000 dollars and/or at least 100,000 dollars in your savings account so why do you want to pay them 80 dollars a month and run the risk of getting robbed or even killed. Choose an honest person to be your maid and pay her a decent salary. An honest old fashioned maid will appreciate it and you will win her loyalty.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
An older woman is best

amigomexicano said:
Why do first world people have such a hard time paying their maids a good salary?? I mean, if you live or have lived in the US you most likely have a salary of 5,000-10,000 dollars and/or at least 100,000 dollars in your savings account so why do you want to pay them 80 dollars a month and run the risk of getting robbed or even killed. Choose an honest person to be your maid and pay her a decent salary. An honest old fashioned maid will appreciate it and you will win her loyalty.

I have a friend who hired an older woman to be his family's maid. This gentle woman is from the "old school". Great with the kids as she also became an addition to the family.

Pay these loyal people a fair but generous salary and perhaps even their own room and you will have an invaluable addition to your home.

Go with the "cheapee,cheapee" approach of hiring some strange young chica to service your house and you will have nothing but troubles which will cost you alot of money and as other's have suggested, much more!

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Not easy!

mgregoir said:
There are SOME very good Haitian maids. You just have to find them.

I hired my brother a Haitian maid, a few years ago, but she was highly recomended. She was VERY good. Did NOT steal anything and took very good care of the house. Meanwhile, the Dominican maid that I had before her was the laziest person that I have ever met. She stole even the toilet paper, for the love of God!.

She was so good that when I moved my brother to the Capital, I offered her double so she could go to the Capital but she declined because she is older and did not wanted to leave her family behind.

Dominican or Haitian, you just to search and search and eventually you will find a good one.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Amigomexicano,

Your reference doesn't hold water and is leaking profusely.

If I come from a country that averages $8 dollars an hour and live in a country that averages $8 dollars a day why should I be paying $16 dollars or more a day for the same services that the average rich Dominican pays $8 for the same service. Is it because I have "foreigner" or "stupid" stamped on my forehead?

Mgregoir the thing you should be concerned about is finding a person trustworthy and you are comfortable with.

My own personal experience has shown me that the Haitians seem to be a little more trustworthy then the Dominicans when refering to suburban or city living. The area where the Dominican stands out in trustworthyness in my opinion are those from el campo.

My opinion.

Rick

amigomexicano

Mar 21, 2006
Rick Snyder said:
Your reference doesn't hold water and is leaking profusely. If I come from a country that averages $8 dollars an hour and live in a country that averages $8 dollars a day why should I be paying $16 dollars or more a day for the same services that the average rich Dominican pays $8 for the same service. Is it because I have "foreigner" or "stupid" stamped on my forehead?

You should be paying more because you have more money. Money is power. The more money you have, the more power you have. If I had the money to pay for honesty, I would pay for it. I'm surprised so many first world people have enough money to buy the best things in the Dominican Republic but they usually choose to go for the cheapest. Then you can find them in this forum complaining. Why do you want to die with a 100,000 dollar savings account? Why do you need money when you're dead?? :surprised

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Take Your Guess

mgregoir said:
.... I just really want to know if anyone has had one, and if they do a good job.

They?
Each one is different.
You cannot judge an individual by nationality or language.

OK, we had one, quite funny she was.
Whenever she did our bathroom upstairs she would try ALL perfumes and smell accordingly.
No, she never touched a perfume flacon...

She broke cups and plates on a daily basis.
It never was her fault...

Now guess:
Was she Dominican or Haitian?

m'frog

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
amigomexicano said:

few people have at least 100k in their bank account.....i think it closer to 5-10k of liquid cash. but not a 100k

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
Rick Snyder said:
Amigomexicano,

Your reference doesn't hold water and is leaking profusely.

If I come from a country that averages $8 dollars an hour and live in a country that averages $8 dollars a day why should I be paying $16 dollars or more a day for the same services that the average rich Dominican pays $8 for the same service. Is it because I have "foreigner" or "stupid" stamped on my forehead?

Mgregoir the thing you should be concerned about is finding a person trustworthy and you are comfortable with.

My own personal experience has shown me that the Haitians seem to be a little more trustworthy then the Dominicans when refering to suburban or city living. The area where the Dominican stands out in trustworthyness in my opinion are those from el campo.

My opinion.

Rick

fair comment rick, ive taken part in many personal conversations with friends and co-workers about the following

im abusing the dom rep people because i obtained cheap labor to build my house! The premise to their argument being is that because I HAVE MORE MONEY i should PAY MORE!
My response is that it is my fault that ive worked hard in the countries ive worked in...and it is my fault that ive accrued a fair level of wealth????It is however NOT MY FAULT that the DR economy is so weak, and that my house was infact constructed of the blood sweat and plantana of DR nationals (my DR contractor pays them their lowly wage in accordance with government rules). So many people have attacked me for 'building a mansion with big huge gates whilst the others (DR nationals)rot outside'. Must i hand over my wealth simply because im richer than they are...?????These people to my understanding have been surviving for generations on peas rice and plantane (sic)and nowhere in the world would anybody willingly accept being asked to pay more, simply because they have more in the bank. what about the money ive brought to this country and intend to spend at DR shops.....???????
i think ill start a new post...this may be interesting!

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
amigomexicano said:
You should be paying more because you have more money. Money is power. The more money you have, the more power you have. If I had the money to pay for honesty, I would pay for it. I'm surprised so many first world people have enough money to buy the best things in the Dominican Republic but they usually choose to go for the cheapest. Then you can find them in this forum complaining. Why do you want to die with a 100,000 dollar savings account? Why do you need money when you're dead?? :surprised

your missing something ...the rich become rich because they understand that money is always better when it remains in your pocket.
money is power! one dies when they are not expecting too...otherwise they'd have spent it...i'd have a 100k in the bank for 1 reason...security.Additionally, as my icome increased over the course of time i actually curtailed my expenses instead of allowing them to travel upwards in-line with my increasing salary...this is how i became more wealthy...and this is why rich people are cheap!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Geez, three threads about how rich he is on a thread about what is fair payment for a maid? I give up ... like another crazy poster says ... 'Only God can help us now'. He cannot even spell platano? Ay Ay!

I have this problem with the nuevo riche.

Last edited:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Ahhh, but here we have a poster that is fairly new to the DR, used advice he acquired on this board to better his condition and therefore save a boatload of money by constructing and now supplies a monthly income to a lot of Dominican people through his living expenditures. "Last week I cundt spall platano, now I are one".

Rick