HELP!!! Schools!?

judith30

Jun 29, 2006
Hi, I was wondering if you could help me! My 16 year daughter and I are moving to the Dominican Republic in August in time for the new school year... but i am wanting for her to go to the Dominican Private schools, perhaps San Jose or Santa Rosa in Puerto Plata. Firstly beacause i want her to learn the language, also because i would rather she mixed with the locals, i would rather she experianced the real Dominican Republic because after speaking to people with children at the International school, they described it as living in a bubble not really me or my daughters cup of tea! My only concern is will she be bullied or discriminated against, i have heard two sides to the story... either your daughter will hate it and want to leave, but i have heard of other ex-pats children settling down really well. We will both be having spanish lessons on a daily basis so that should hopefully improve her situation!! Please advise me... lol & Thank you in advance to anyone who helps us! Judith

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
She´ll learn Spanish quickly once she arrives.
First year, I would suggest an English speaking school though, she is in a sensitive age. In Puerto Plata there is Alic for instance, that have a mix of both immigrants and locals. See the school thread in the living section, it will provide you with some options.

judith30

Jun 29, 2006
thanks!

thank you for your help! also do you know if english year 8 for example is grade 8 over ther? because in that case grace only has one year of high school left!