Teen pregnancies

Jostan

Jun 17, 2006
Im going to the DR in 2 weeks for 4-6 months, im gonna do my masterthesis about teenpregnancies there, I've already done research, formulated a theory and I have draft questionaire.

But I still have some questions and I thought maybe some of the DR-experts can help me out a little bit.
- How is the knowledge about oral contraception in the DR? What are popular 'myths' about oral contraception?
- Do they talk about abortion there? Would it be apropriate for me (a foreigner) to ask them if they ever had an abortion and would I get an honest answer (in most cases)
- What do you think the main reason for the high number of teenpregnancies is? (or better: the main reason for the low/inconsistent use in contraception)

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Would in a country with an already high rate of HIV/AIDS, the increase in use of oral contrceptives lead to a decrease in condom usage and a subsequent increase in STDs?

Jostan

Jun 17, 2006
I dont know, I know that in western countries they are promoting double dutch, to prevent a decline in condom use and as a result it hasnt declined, but if this would work in a country like the dr where I dont know. But this is the ideal situation, because using a condom protects you against STD's, but its not very effective against pregnancy (although better than nothing)

I am researching the condom use as well as the oral contraception (and not the other forms of contraception) It looks like people who use a condom, dont use oral contraception and the other way around. One of the things i want to find out, what kind of people use neither and what kind of people use 1 of those (or both) and what's the difference between them.

Jostan

Jun 17, 2006
I've contacted profamilia in Santo Domingo, they send me a list with references of literature that is related to my research, but I have to go to on one of their computers in their office to get the articles.
I dont know the other organization, do they have a website?

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
HOWMAR said:
Would in a country with an already high rate of HIV/AIDS, the increase in use of oral contrceptives lead to a decrease in condom usage and a subsequent increase in STDs?

Good point, Howmar. My initial thought was that the average young girl cannot afford to buy oral contraceptives. Then there's the issue of compliance..."You mean I have to take one every day?"

Scandall

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You should visit the two largest maternity hospitals in the country:
Maternidad Nuestra Señora de la Altagracia in Santo Domingo and
Hospital Universitario Regional Cabral y Baez in Santiago

they have good data on the number to teen births per year dating back at least five years.

i remember that one year there were 2500 teen births in Santiago///:(:(:(

HB

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Novio as Interviewer

Jostan said:
- Do they talk about abortion there?
No.

Jostan said:
Would it be apropriate for me (a foreigner) to ask them if they ever had an abortion and would I get an honest answer (in most cases)
2x No.

Jostan said:
- What do you think the main reason for the high number of teenpregnancies is? (or better: the main reason for the low/inconsistent use in contraception)
Intercourse at an early age. ;)

m'frog

P.S.:
Why not include your novio in the poll?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Main reason for low/inconsistant use of contraceptives (condoms or pharmceuticals:
1)Condoms: Machismo--I never take a shower with a raincoat on!!
2)Oral or IM injections: Too expensive too complicated

Overall: Ignorance, social tabus, stigmas

HB :D:D

Jostan

Jun 17, 2006
Lol, I did include mi novio in the poll, but it can never hurt to have more opinions :)

Right now my questionaire includes questions about the following:
- attitudes, socials norms and self efficacy regarding condoms as well as oral contraception
- machismo/marianismo
- child desire
- Communication about condom use, oral contraception and getting children (young) with parents, siblings, friends and boyfriend
- Sexual behavior (sex first age, partner, condom use, oral contraception use etc.)

I want to add a section 'knowledge' about contraception, but Im still working on this, but then primarly based on the basic knowledge, like how to use it, how not to use it, what its direct effects are etc.
Or do you think the basic knowledge is there? How expensive is oral contraception over there?

And then my final question: is abortion considered as a form of contraception?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here is a lead, but i don't know how good it will be.

A long time ago (40+ years) there was a sociologist/anthropoligist from the University of Pittsburgh who worked in Sabana Grande de Palenque (San Cristóbal Province). He told me that women there had over 4 dozen different recipes for (a) avoiding pregnancies and (b) terminating unwanted pregnancies.

Sorry, I can't remember names...darn it!!

HB

rainbow123

Jul 28, 2006
Jostan - Do you really ever think it would be appropriate for a stranger to ask a teenage girl whether she has had an abortion-esp in a country that is mainly Catholic?! Er, no.

Out of interest, since we're on the subject, what is the rate of teen preganacies, per capita compared with the USA or UK?

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
rainbow123 said:
Jostan - Do you really ever think it would be appropriate for a stranger to ask a teenage girl whether she has had an abortion-esp in a country that is mainly Catholic?! Er, no.

Out of interest, since we're on the subject, what is the rate of teen preganacies, per capita compared with the USA or UK?

Im willing to bet that we in the UK are worse on that count

junglemonkey

Jun 24, 2006
good luck with project

but it sounds like an unoriginal overdone topic. Just cut and paste the data from the hosipitals and agencies down here...dont forget the WHO stats.

amazingly you will see many parallel between this country and other 3rd/2nd world latin countries.

then you can do your ground breaking research at home.