Dr vs mexico

jim44

Dec 13, 2005
Hi all. I would like to get your opinion on what you think of mexico vs the dr. I have spent only a couple of weeks in the dr and lots of time in mexico so I have a very one sided view. I enjoyed the dr but I think I need to spend more time there to have an informed opinion. I would like to know your opinions on the difference both positive and negative regarding living in both countries. Anything from cost of living. which i country you feel is more fun. attractiveness of the locals anything that you have noticed. thanks for your time.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It seems to me, loosely based on articles I've read and visiting there (Mexico) a few times, that there may be more violence in Mexico versus the DR. It may be something you want to look into. It also may depend on the region that you are looking at as Mexico is a fairly large country.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
The good thing about Mexico is that it is a very large country and that violence does not prevail in most of it, only in certain parts. Also, it has many beautiful cities to choose from and a great variety in climate, much of it cool to cold in the center, hot and humid along the coasts etc. People are respectful and friendly. As far as cost of living, who knows. What do u think, OP, since you have been to both countries, what are your personal observations when it comes to DR vs Mexico?

Jostan

Jun 17, 2006
I haven't really been to Mexico, but I was in Guatemala for 3 months and made a (very) short trip to Mexico.
2 plus points that Mexico has:
1. the food!!!
2. it's a lot easier to travel to other countries, like Belize, Guatemala, Honduras etc. (big plus for me)

Other than that I cannot say to much about Mexico, but Im thinking it's kinda similar to Guatemala (correct me if im wrong) So based on my Guatemala experiences I would say that Dominicans are prettier and are easier to approach, they are also less strict.

Santiagohombre1

Jun 1, 2006
Ok, It is like comparing puerto rico to the us. One is a beautiful little island country and one is a massive, big country with a larger economy and mor people. Ok, DR is the caribbean with african influences. It has more a a party culture and it is quicker. It is not as classy but the poeple have bigger hearts and are better people. DR has its good barrios and bad ones. DR has some poor. Mexico when I was there, the poor were poorer than much that I saw in DR. The rich were also richer. The average person lived about the same as DR. Mexico is huge and has greater disparities than DR. It is more indian like with more of a european influence. The spanish was slower and more proper.

momita

May 17, 2006
I have been in Mexico twice. As Jostan said Food is absolutly Superb.People nice and friendly.But I Couldn't live there for longer.There is nothing special about this country for me.Mexico remind me Spain a little bit with American influances.Then No , thank you

Dominican Republic-everything is magic about that place. I Love people ,love their good and bed sides.I love that atmosphere.Hard to explain..let me call that... "bodyheat ":cheeky: And the most important....MUSIC,MUSIC AND AGAIN MUSIC:bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

And I could live there for ever and one day longer:cheeky:

jim44

Dec 13, 2005
my 2 cents

Yes I have been 2 both countries, but only to the north coast of the dr. Expense wise. i think mexico is cheaper on average. The dr is in the carribean and a small country so imports play a major role in most foreigners lifes. I find the people in both countries extremely friendly. Mexico is very american. Mexico being a very large country does have more climates and distinct and different cities. I think of some more later i'm sure. thanks for the in put :)

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
Mexico sin duda

It is very interesting that my views of Mexico and the DR vary in different ways to some of the views expressed here. After 6 visits to the DR and 4 visits to Mexico, my impressions of these 2 countries are as follows.

These 2 countries are filled with warm friendly people but I will tip the scale in favor of mexicans because I have found them to be much more genuine, much more unassuming and just always willing to bend over backwards to help.

There is a greater chance of being scammed in the DR than in Mexico both by the authorities and by the people. I have not found the typical dominican tiguere element amongst mexicans and I tend to look over my shoulders more in the DR than in Mexico.

I have heard that Mexico City is very dangerous and much dangerous that Santo Domingo but I do not stay much in Mexico City so I cannot talk about the safety except to say that I have never felt in any danger all the times that I have been there both day and night.

The customer service is Mexico is far superior than what you will get in the DR. From my experience, in Mexico all you need to do is to cough and things will get fixed. In the DR, you can cough as much as you like...........

You wil not find male resort workers in Mexico going after gringas and trying to scam them. If you found love in a Mexican resort with a male worker, it would probably be more genuine.

Mexican women in their 20's do not normally date tourists that are twice their age and do not seem to know or care much about western union. Also it does not seem that parents will be very keen to pimp their daughters to foreign men but you never know. So if you fall in love with a mexican woman that is less than twice your age, the love most probably will be genuine.

The food in Mexico is just absolutely superb and I think that the quality of the restaurants is far much higher than what you will get in the DR.

If you are female and looking for a hot date, then the DR will be your better choice. Mexican men are much more passive.

The ethnic structure of mexico is made up of Mexican Indians, Mexicans with the latin look and Mexicans that will pass for Americans/Europeans. The ethnic structure of the DR is made mostly of blacks, mulattas and dominicans with the latin look

The work ethic of Mexicans is far higher than for Dominicans. I think that if I set up a company in each of these countries, I would sleep far much better in Mexico than in the DR

Mexico has much more history and culture and so much more to see than the DR. There is so much more to see in Mexico City than in Santo Domingo and the nightlife is far more exciting in Mexico City but it is more expensive in my opinion.

I have had the opportunity to date regular, everyday women working in offices in both countries and I would take the mexican women over the dominican women because I found mexican women to be more unassuming. Their attitude works better with me for the type of person that I am.

I prefer Merengue/Bachata to Mariachi and I think that the music is much more better in the DR than in Mexico but Mexico has far more classy nightclubs and the entertainment is far better.

There is a bigger expat community in Mexico than in the DR which may come as a surprise to many people but Mexico is a much bigger country. Places like San Miguel de Allende and Guadalajara have an unbelievable expat community that seemed to have discovered their paradise.

For me, Mexico is a better choice. I just came back from Mexico on friday ............still going through some withdrawal symptoms

nancybelle

Feb 9, 2004
Mexico vs. DR

Hi, Jim and all, my husband and I opted to live in Mexico. After almost a lifetime with the heat and humidity of Houston, we needed a big change--boy, did we ever get it!

I have spent a total of only two months in la Republica Dominicana spread over two visits, and while I adore almost everything about it, we found the available housing in central Mexico cheaper and the restaurant scene cheaper, too. Perhaps I did not know where to search in the DR for the best buys. Another factor in our relocation here is that we have a grandchild in Houston and wanted to be conveniently situated. We are less than two hours away on a non-stop flight to Houston whereas the route from the DR is more circuitous and costlier.

I think a person could be quite happy in either country; it depends, of course, if one prefers more varity in climate or proximity to the U.S. I will never forget the graciousness and helpfulness of the people I met in Santiago--especially Hillbilly and his lovely wife!!

My suggestion to you is to visit each country, after narrowing your research down to a particular region, for a few weeks prior to making a permanent move. Only by actually being there, can you check out the lifestyle and see what has been exaggerated (or de-emphasized) by the guide book gurus. Even then, you will not get the true picture. Only by moving to a place, I think, do you begin to understand it with all its complexities. Sometimes I think we should have leased a house for six months prior to buying, but at our advanced age, we felt we did not have time to diddle!! You can torture yourself with "grass is always greener" thoughts anyway. Once you decide, don't look back. You can always choose the "losing" country for wonderful holidays!

Buena suerte,
Nancy Bell

P.S. If you are a novice, struggling speaker of espanol (as I have been for at least a decade!), I think you will find the Spanish is spoken more slowly in Mexico, or at least in our city of Guanajuato. To me it is almost musical, very lilting.

Safado

Jun 13, 2006
Dominicanas y Mexicanas

Sholly24 said:
It is very interesting that my views of Mexico and the DR vary in different ways to some of the views expressed here. After 6 visits to the DR and 4 visits to Mexico, my impressions of these 2 countries are as follows.

These 2 countries are filled with warm friendly people but I will tip the scale in favor of mexicans because I have found them to be much more genuine, much more unassuming and just always willing to bend over backwards to help.

There is a greater chance of being scammed in the DR than in Mexico both by the authorities and by the people. I have not found the typical dominican tiguere element amongst mexicans and I tend to look over my shoulders more in the DR than in Mexico.

I have heard that Mexico City is very dangerous and much dangerous that Santo Domingo but I do not stay much in Mexico City so I cannot talk about the safety except to say that I have never felt in any danger all the times that I have been there both day and night.

The customer service is Mexico is far superior than what you will get in the DR. From my experience, in Mexico all you need to do is to cough and things will get fixed. In the DR, you can cough as much as you like...........

You wil not find male resort workers in Mexico going after gringas and trying to scam them. If you found love in a Mexican resort with a male worker, it would probably be more genuine.

Mexican women in their 20's do not normally date tourists that are twice their age and do not seem to know or care much about western union. Also it does not seem that parents will be very keen to pimp their daughters to foreign men but you never know. So if you fall in love with a mexican woman that is less than twice your age, the love most probably will be genuine.

The food in Mexico is just absolutely superb and I think that the quality of the restaurants is far much higher than what you will get in the DR.

If you are female and looking for a hot date, then the DR will be your better choice. Mexican men are much more passive.

The ethnic structure of mexico is made up of Mexican Indians, Mexicans with the latin look and Mexicans that will pass for Americans/Europeans. The ethnic structure of the DR is made mostly of blacks, mulattas and dominicans with the latin look

The work ethic of Mexicans is far higher than for Dominicans. I think that if I set up a company in each of these countries, I would sleep far much better in Mexico than in the DR

Mexico has much more history and culture and so much more to see than the DR. There is so much more to see in Mexico City than in Santo Domingo and the nightlife is far more exciting in Mexico City but it is more expensive in my opinion.

I have had the opportunity to date regular, everyday women working in offices in both countries and I would take the mexican women over the dominican women because I found mexican women to be more unassuming. Their attitude works better with me for the type of person that I am.

I prefer Merengue/Bachata to Mariachi and I think that the music is much more better in the DR than in Mexico but Mexico has far more classy nightclubs and the entertainment is far better.

There is a bigger expat community in Mexico than in the DR which may come as a surprise to many people but Mexico is a much bigger country. Places like San Miguel de Allende and Guadalajara have an unbelievable expat community that seemed to have discovered their paradise.

For me, Mexico is a better choice. I just came back from Mexico on friday ............still going through some withdrawal symptoms

When talking about a regular date, I would like to know the differences between the Dominicanas and Mexicanas in your opinion..........and also how the Mexicanas attitudes better suit your needs.

Just curious

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I have heard that there is a huge difference in property ownership rights in Mexico... i.e. Foreigners cannot own land outright and directly. In the DR, (like Panama) Anyone can own land and receive clear title. Anyone know more on this... for the most popular expat countries: Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, etc?

Safado

Jun 13, 2006
nancybelle said:
Hi, Jim and all, my husband and I opted to live in Mexico. After almost a lifetime with the heat and humidity of Houston, we needed a big change--boy, did we ever get it!

I have spent a total of only two months in la Republica Dominicana spread over two visits, and while I adore almost everything about it, we found the available housing in central Mexico cheaper and the restaurant scene cheaper, too. Perhaps I did not know where to search in the DR for the best buys. Another factor in our relocation here is that we have a grandchild in Houston and wanted to be conveniently situated. We are less than two hours away on a non-stop flight to Houston whereas the route from the DR is more circuitous and costlier.

I think a person could be quite happy in either country; it depends, of course, if one prefers more varity in climate or proximity to the U.S. I will never forget the graciousness and helpfulness of the people I met in Santiago--especially Hillbilly and his lovely wife!!

My suggestion to you is to visit each country, after narrowing your research down to a particular region, for a few weeks prior to making a permanent move. Only by actually being there, can you check out the lifestyle and see what has been exaggerated (or de-emphasized) by the guide book gurus. Even then, you will not get the true picture. Only by moving to a place, I think, do you begin to understand it with all its complexities. Sometimes I think we should have leased a house for six months prior to buying, but at our advanced age, we felt we did not have time to diddle!! You can torture yourself with "grass is always greener" thoughts anyway. Once you decide, don't look back. You can always choose the "losing" country for wonderful holidays!

Buena suerte,
Nancy Bell

P.S. If you are a novice, struggling speaker of espanol (as I have been for at least a decade!), I think you will find the Spanish is spoken more slowly in Mexico, or at least in our city of Guanajuato. To me it is almost musical, very lilting.

I've never been to Mexico, but I have spent considerable time in the DR and other latin American countries(mainly Brazil) and I'll say that the Dr is one of the most LEAST developed of the places that I've been. In fact most African nations that I've been to are more developed than this Caribbean nation.

For infrastructure, world class dining etc. I'm sure that Brazil/Mexico would win. For music, festive atmosphere, feeling of being in the boonies...the DR would probably edge out a victory. In the DR food in general is expensive, especially when one considers the amount of poverty and low paying salaries that exist there. I'm surprised that people can actually afford the supermarket(especially when the food prices are on par with USA food prices). From what I can tell, real estate is fairly cheap in the DR(almost anyplace is cheap in real estate compared to USA), and one can live well there if they have a nice nest egg/pension etc.

For the language: Dominicans try to break the sound barrier at the rate in which they speak. For some reason they speak terribly fast and often wonder why you can understand them! Also, in DR Spanish they tend to eat the "s" in most words making them sound different from thier intended pronunciation. And they don't roll thier "r" as much in most other Spanish accents.

Example:

The word "fesco"(fresh) in Dominican Spanish will be pronounced FREKO, because they eat the "s."

Also, the word "mujer"(woman) will be pronounced as MUJEL or MUJEI in Dominican, where they omit the proper rolling of the "r" at the end of the word.

I LOVE THE DR, but these are some things that I've noticed. Interesting thread we have here....

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Dropping the S seems to be more of a North Coast/ Campo thing, not nearly as common in Santo Domingo or Santiago. One thing Ive noticed on both coasts, if you don't pronounce the spanish word the way they do.. many people have no idea what you're saying...can be very frustrating when you're trying to learn the language...

Sholly24

Mar 5, 2006
Safado said:
When talking about a regular date, I would like to know the differences between the Dominicanas and Mexicanas in your opinion..........and also how the Mexicanas attitudes better suit your needs.

Just curious

I have generally found mexican women to be much more laid back and they do not seem to be in a rush and are much more unassuming . Most mexican women will treat a man as nicely as they will treat any other man even if you are not the novio. Which means that you are never really sure that she likes you just simply as a friend or more unless you actually ask the question. For dominican women, you can quickly figure out how she feels by her attitude.

I think that if you are a jealous man, you might have a hard time dealing with mexicanas than dominicanas because the mexicanas IMHO generally do not seem to read meaning into things and from an american point of view, some things may be confusing to you.

From my own experience, it is far more natural ( and a much more fulfilling experience) to strike up a casual conversation with a mexicana at a regular place (i.e mall, on the street etc) in mexico city than in Santo Domingo or even in Santiago.....and I am talking of speaking bad spanish.

It is just their good nature as a people that has also permeated into the attitude of the women.....IMHO

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
DavidZ said:
I have heard that there is a huge difference in property ownership rights in Mexico... i.e. Foreigners cannot own land outright and directly. In the DR, (like Panama) Anyone can own land and receive clear title. Anyone know more on this... for the most popular expat countries: Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, etc?

The only limitations that exist in Mexico are in the coastal and border areas. If you want to buy something in those areas, you have to do it thru a fideicomiso or trust. However, Americans have bought a lot of properties in those areas. In the rest of Mexico there are no restrictions whatsoever.

sunshine1

Aug 24, 2004
Over the last 10 years we have vacationed in Mexico five times with each visit being one month. We settled in DR after visiting four times for a one to two month period each time. We get to eat garden fresh ( picked the night before) produce every day in DR. We stayed in the upper end places in Mexico. The food in DR is better than that in Napa Valley in the US!! We found the food and wine in Mexico at the best restuarants to be below the quality that we expect. We like excellent food and good wines when we travel. The people in DR have an unbelievable contagious joie de vive. The dependance of the Mexican economy on drug trade was a major concern. Both countries have problems with crime and drugs. We found that there is a unbelievable difference in how you perceive a country relative to whether you spend two weeks vs a month vs six months vs a year plus.

Sholly24

Mar 5, 2006
nancybelle said:
....... I think you will find the Spanish is spoken more slowly in Mexico, or at least in our city of Guanajuato. To me it is almost musical, very lilting.

By Guanajuato, I am guessing that you are talking about San Miguel De Allende. I have been to San Miguel twice.....absolutely georgeous city and lovely weather. I could see myself living there someday.

Actually I am a bit jealous of you right now:glasses:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Just need to mention a few things....

1. The DR does not has a homogenous climate or topography. You can find pretty much any climate or topography you want in the DR, with extreme ease and proximity to the major cities. Granted, pretty much anything north and east of the Central Mountain range is hot and humid and anything west is hotter and arid. However, in the Cordillera Central of the DR there are places where you can swear you are somewhere in Vermont or the Perinnies. Make a visit to a valley called "La Nevera", I think the names says it all.

2. Comparing the entire DR to either central Mexico, Central Colombian, the Caracas area of Venezuela, the Sul State of Brazil, or the Rio de Plata region of Uruguay and northern Argentina in an economical sense is like comparing New York City or London to Alexandria, Virginia or Stratford-upon-Avon!

In other words, apples to oranges. Those places are the most industrial, wealthiest, and most economically active regions of all of Latin America. Mexico City is the world's 30th largest economy on it's own and Mexico is among the few countries with an economy worth in the US$1 Trillion mark making it one of the top 10 biggest and most important economies worldwide. With the case of Sao Paulo, which is the epicenter of the modern Brazilian economy and especially, the Sul state, it's economy is valued at $500 billion!!!! With a population of lets say 20 million, that amounts to roughly US$25,000 per person. That's quite high, although the disparity in income explains for why there are poor people in Sao Paulo and extremely rich people. The issue in those regions of Latin America has more to do with the distribution of income more than any lack of anything, because those regions don't lack money, industry, whatever its there!

The situation with the DR is utterly different, given that the country is just recently beginning to accumulate some wealth on a national level and it's certainly a peripheral nation on a regional and global scale.

Please make sure that when comparing, you do take into account the realities of each region vs. the DR.
That's it, everything else is on the mark with personal biases based on personal preferences.

Good thread! ;)
-NALs

Last edited by a moderator:

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Safado-

I find your post very interesting and I ask that you expand on two points if you don't mind please:

1/ Quote: "I'll say that the Dr is one of the most LEAST developed of the places that I've been. In fact most African nations that I've been to are more developed than this Caribbean nation".

-What is the basis for your statement? I am just curious because I think your observation is quite insightful.

2/ Your socio-linguistic analysis is quite accurate too and how would you compare Spanish spoken in the DR to Spanish spoken in the rest of the Caribbean basin (this includes parts of Panama, coastal Colombia and coastal Venezuela) and the Spanish speaking-world? As well, do people take the spoken language into consideration when considering living in Spanish speaking country? I find that interesting.

-LDG.

Safado said:
I've never been to Mexico, but I have spent considerable time in the DR and other latin American countries(mainly Brazil) and I'll say that the Dr is one of the most LEAST developed of the places that I've been. In fact most African nations that I've been to are more developed than this Caribbean nation.

For the language: Dominicans try to break the sound barrier at the rate in which they speak. For some reason they speak terribly fast and often wonder why you can understand them! Also, in DR Spanish they tend to eat the "s" in most words making them sound different from thier intended pronunciation. And they don't roll thier "r" as much in most other Spanish accents.

Example:

The word "fesco"(fresh) in Dominican Spanish will be pronounced FREKO, because they eat the "s."

Also, the word "mujer"(woman) will be pronounced as MUJEL or MUJEI in Dominican, where they omit the proper rolling of the "r" at the end of the word.