What about Muslim food shop & restaurants

frndms

Jul 1, 2006
Curious to know whether there are Muslim food available. Do you cater to Muslim tourists since most DRs should be Christians.
Please share with me your information. Thank you.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I have only met 2 dominican muslims here, and i believe they had been living in NYC... That was odd in Puerto Plata !!!
However there are a bunch of European/Canadian Muslim tourists in the resorts...

My personal feeling is that we should not encourage special treatment for Muslims... Keep in mind most tourists are kinda neutral in their religious background, so it should be the same for the Muslims...

-If Muslims are craving for a tourist destination with special food or treatment, why not vacationing in a Muslim country ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jostan

Jun 17, 2006
Squat said:
My personal feeling is that we should not encourage special treatment for Muslims... Keep in mind most tourists are kinda neutral in their religious background, so it should be the same for the Muslims...

-If Muslims are craving for a tourist destination with special food or treatment, why not vacationing in a Muslim country ?

Dont know too much about special treatment or food that Muslims need/want, BUT if I walk around on Sosua or Cabarete, I see german, french etc. restaurants everywhere, so why not a restaurant where they have muslim food? Or should all the people with a schnitzel craving go to germany? :cheeky:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I have never seen any food outlet catering specifically for halal food and very few people here actually know that there are special food requirements.

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I have heard there is a small muslim community in Santo Domingo. Speaking to one of it's members, I learned it is made up of a few dozen Dominicans who have converted to the muslim faith. He has said they gather in homes to pray, but are planning on building a mosque. One of the members has learned to slaughter meat and poultry according to halal religious requirements. Sorry that I don't have a contact number for you.

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
Not a special treatment

Squat said:

I am not quite sure that you got the point. The person requesting the information did not seem to request for special treatment but I would think that people are quite reasonable if they will wish to be able to go anywhere and still have the option of eating in accordance with their religious dictates.

Jewish people have the kosher diet also and most airlines have the kosher diet onboard or by special request for people of the jewish faith that will prefer it. I do not see why the same approach cannot apply to muslims

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
We are not talking about White Castle burgers

Squat said:
If there is a demand why not? I am not Muslim but I do eat at their restaurants. Good food is good food. Where I live in the US there is a chain of "Steak n Take" restaurants. If there was one on Pedro Clisante the place would be packed!

Squat next time you eat in a non-Dominican restaurant remind yourself that you should be in that particular country eating.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Sholly24 said:
I am not quite sure that you got the point. The person requesting the information did not seem to request for special treatment but I would think that people are quite reasonable if they will wish to be able to go anywhere and still have the option of eating in accordance with their religious dictates.

Jewish people have the kosher diet also and most airlines have the kosher diet onboard or by special request for people of the jewish faith that will prefer it. I do not see why the same approach cannot apply to muslims
Most airlines do offer halal meals. Interesting point is that many Muslims will eat Kosher meats if Halal not available, as slaughtering procedures are quite similar. Problem in the DR is that neither Halal nor Kosher is readily available.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
To expect to be able to go ANYWHERE and have special accomodation made to your religion's dietary requirements is NOT reasonable. It is a matter of demand and cost effectiveness. Most Muslims, (along with Orthodox Jews and strict vegetarians) know this, and would not assume that their particular needs could be met in restaurants or markets in a place like the DR, where the demand for those items is minimal or non-exhistent.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
sweetdbt said:
To expect to be able to go ANYWHERE and have special accomodation made to your religion's dietary requirements is NOT reasonable. It is a matter of demand and cost effectiveness. Most Muslims, (along with Orthodox Jews and strict vegetarians) know this, and would not assume that their particular needs could be met in restaurants or markets in a place like the DR, where the demand for those items is minimal or non-exhistent.

Who is expecting anything. The original poster asked a simple and respectful question.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Chris,

Sorry, I should have used quotes. My response was not to the OP, but rather to post #6 "I think that people are quite reasonable if they will wish to be able to go anywhere and still have the option of eating in accordance with their religous dictates."

Of course people always have this "option", but in some situations it is necessary that they make their own accomodation to exercise it, not expect that it be made for them in a 3rd world country where their religion and it's dietary needs are virtually non-exhistent.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
In Santo Domingo I've often passed an Arab looking restaurant called I think Sherezade. I would think it's more of a fancy restaurant with a 1001 night theme than a restaurant offering halal food, but you never know.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Muslim food does not automatically equal Arab or Middle Eastern food. Many Arabs and Middle Easterners are not Muslims, and there are Muslims in non-Arab/ME countries such as Malaysia (like the OP) and Indonesia, Morocco, Turkey, the Balkans, Pakistan, Bangladesh and India.

The DR is a case in point. There are several Middle Eastern style restaurants here but as Dominicans of Arab/Middle Eastern origin are almost all Christians, they would not be Halal.

There is however, as HOWMAR says, a small community of Dominican converts to Islam and students from Muslim countries such as Pakistan, and a small and very basic comedor that does Pakistani food in Gazcue, Santo Domingo.

A Muslim coming to the DR as a tourist would have to do the same as a not very strict Jew or vegetarian and simply avoid the meat dishes.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Right ... enough of the insults. I'm still recovering from a party and have very little patience to delete and edit insults .. ;)

The question was asked and answered. Anyone that can give constructive comment without insulting anyone else's appearance or eating habits .. feel free to carry on!

The times that we have muslim visitors, we do the same as Chirimoya suggests. Skip the meat and go vegetarian.

No problem sweetdbt ;)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2003
There are Muslim groups in the United States that have publicly stated that Kosher(Jewish Orthodox) food products are acceptable for the Muslim diet. (HOWAR'S Post referenced this.)

Sousa has a small Jewish enclave. Perhaps that community might sell Kosher products.

If the OP ends up at the beach there, he might have some acceptable options.

Last edited:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Reading comprehesion 101 and the use of grammar

frndms said:
Curious to know whether there are Muslim food available. Do you cater to Muslim tourists since most DRs should be Christians.
Please share with me your information. Thank you.

Lets not get all wound up about this SIMPLE posting:
1) is there Muslim food avail.? (Didnt ask for anything special-simple-is it avail.?)
2) Do you "cater To"...? Give him benefit of doubt--improper use of the word "cater"
Probably means-do you have muslim type food?
3) "most DRs are Christinas"--not relevant
In summary--simple--is there muslim type food avail. for me in the DR? Yes or No?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
-why bother posting a reply when most posts are being deleted (censored) ???

Anything not politically correct seems way too disturbing for the gentleman in charge of moderating this thread !

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
And that's also simple

Squat said:

Anything not politically correct seems way too disturbing for the gentleman in charge of moderating this thread !

I can't believe if you are answering the OP question (food) that it is deleted. However if one's response trails off to religion or politics ("anything not politicall correct seems etc.") I can see why it is deleted.
Further to your point-I would like to know how you know "most post are deleted"?

JOHN

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Squat said:

I gave you a few opportunities to moderate your own words. You chose to not do that, but to continue with your vile characterization of the original poster. The DR1 board is a privately owned board. As such, there are rules. You can either censor yourself, or you will be censored, in this, or the other forums on this board. This is my last explanation on this.

As an afterthought, apologies to all the other posters who by necessity got deleted. Believe me johne, more deleted posts than actual posts on this thread. I cannot believe how people can be so insensitive. Thanks for your participation.

Last edited: