David Ortiz Sploogefest Thread

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Slugging for a cause
There have been no official announcements yet, but David Ortiz said he intends to participate in the Home Run Derby in Pittsburgh July 10.
``I have a reason that I want to do it," Ortiz said. ``I'm doing it for a charity back home."

Ortiz said he will be raising money for open-heart surgical units in his native Dominican Republic.

Ortiz was in last season's Home Run Derby in Detroit and with former Red Sox coach Dale Sveum pitching to him hit 17 home runs in the first round, including one that traveled an estimated 483 feet.

The 17 homers would have been a record for one round, except Bobby Abreu of the Phillies hit 24, nine more than the previous mark set by Miguel Tejada. Ortiz finished fourth last year.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Nothing but a class act

Cleef said:
Slugging for a cause
There have been no official announcements yet, but David Ortiz said he intends to participate in the Home Run Derby in Pittsburgh July 10.
``I have a reason that I want to do it," Ortiz said. ``I'm doing it for a charity back home."

Ortiz said he will be raising money for open-heart surgical units in his native Dominican Republic.

Ortiz was in last season's Home Run Derby in Detroit and with former Red Sox coach Dale Sveum pitching to him hit 17 home runs in the first round, including one that traveled an estimated 483 feet.

The 17 homers would have been a record for one round, except Bobby Abreu of the Phillies hit 24, nine more than the previous mark set by Miguel Tejada. Ortiz finished fourth last year.

This gentleman just gives and gives and gives. Kind of reminds me of John Candy the actor.... full of life and always helping who is in need, instead of just thinking of themselves.

I wonder if he can make a pancake as big as Uncle Buck?;)

G

gary short

Just saw a special on Candy.....what a class act, as is Ortiz. Poor John......I guess his heart blowed up real good.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Special people in the limelight

gary short said:
Just saw a special on Candy.....what a class act, as is Ortiz. Poor John......I guess his heart blowed up real good.

And ask for no credit for what they do, because they are just real people.

I hope David wins the home run Derby... even though I'm a Yankee fan, his heart is in the right place.;)

But what do I really know...... i sell shower curtain rings for a living.:surprised

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
gary short said:
It's all about volume...... no???

The negative of people has been on the rise for many years, instead of bringing out the good of celebrities as giving back to community..... and David Ortiz is no exception.

The press media need's to talk about something..... and negative just keeps them breathing longer.

G

gary short

Main stream media in the US sells doom and gloom.....why......hhhmmm....look at.....never mind..