Bewildering US immigrations policies

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
since when?

This must be something new, when did this start?
Do the authorities know about this- if not, shouldn't someone call them and warn them?
Damn- a stepping stone! Brilliant.:eek:gre:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i know 2 dominican brothers who have just come back from cuba. they were both paid 2500 dollars each plus airfair, hotel etc to marry 2 girls from there to bring them to DR. Now you know why the cuban families are willing to pay as much as 5k dollars to dominicans to go to cuba and marry their relative so they can come to DR.
AZB

Dama Diana

Apr 22, 2006
What is the legal way for a Dominican to come for a visit to the United States? Is there a legal way to come for longer and possibly even work or study in school in the US? What do they do first in their own country of the Dominican Republic and can I help from the US? I am American and have been very close friends with somone in Puerto Plata. I want him to come to visit and we don't know what it takes to get the permission to buy a plane ticket. We want to get a travel visa or try to understand the procedure to let him come from Puerto Plata to the US. It is impossible I am sure to have him stay a year and work, right?

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The Cubans are coming from a Communist country. Dominicans are not.
I believe that is the difference.
mkohn

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
don't have the player; hate the game

Cubans have played the US political game rather well

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
AZB said:
can a north korean get the same treatment?
AZB
Technically no, but the end result is similar. A North Korean, who seeks political asylum in the US would have to prove he has or will be the victim of political persecution in North Korea, not just economic reasons. Most North Koreans would qualify as they would be subject to jail and political reindoctrination if they were returned to North Korea after escaping and seeking asylum in the US. The difference with the Cubans is that they are guaranteed asylum in the US under the "dry foot" policy. They place foot on dry US land, they are admitted.
Before the "dry foot" policy, all Cubans were admitted (dry or wet foot), until Castro retaliated by sending boatloads of criminals. At that point the "wet foot" policy changed to only admit those who were intercepted at sea to those who qualified for political asylum.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Cubans may get an even better deal with the US after Castro dies one of these days.

In fact, the illegal route towards the US may reverse itself since Cuba is so much closer to both mainland USA and the northwestern tip of Haiti. Puerto Rico is too far away from the eastern DR and extremely far away from Miami.

Maybe Castro's death will also help the DR a little with it's migration problem with neighboring Haiti.

CUba will be forced to take the road towards democracy as soon as Castro dies. According to the report, "The U.S. should have assistance in Cuba within weeks of President Fidel Castro's death to support a transitional government and help move the country toward democracy, a government report recommends."

Read more about this here:

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/06/30/after.castro/index.html

-NALs