Breezes Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

wullie_mcmartin

Jul 4, 2006
Morning!

First of all great site. I have learned so much about DR from this site. I'm now aware that we can go into town, and the stories of being locked into your resort are false.

I'm coming to Breezes Puerto Plata next Wednesday, but I keep reading mixed reviews. Some Great, some Poor. Can anybody give me the honest opinion of what to expect.

Also i'm brining US$ as cash, at the moment i only have $100 & $20 notes. is it worthwhile trying to change some of these to smaller notes?

Cheers

Wullie McMartin.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
wullie_mcmartin said:
I'm coming to Breezes Puerto Plata next Wednesday, but I keep reading mixed reviews. Some Great, some Poor. Can anybody give me the honest opinion of what to expect.
That is the honest opinion.
Some love it, some don't.
From what I can tell, some sections are better than others.
I think there was a recent post mentioning 2 buidings (10 & 11 ?) that were more freshly renovated. (See newfiegirl22's post at http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46974&highlight=breezes )

wullie_mcmartin said:
Also i'm brining US$ as cash, at the moment i only have $100 & $20 notes. is it worthwhile trying to change some of these to smaller notes?
No need to change those bills.
Any change bank will take them and the real secret is to change into pesos at change banks or regular banks, outside the resort.
The difference in exchange is substantial.
When arriving at the airport, you can usually find a change bank, before getting on the bus, to change a small amount, to last you until you have a chance to get out of the resort to Sosua or Cabarete.

wullie_mcmartin

Jul 4, 2006
Superb advice thank you!

i think we are staying in one of the beach view rooms. again they have had mixed reviews over time.

many thanks.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
wullie_mcmartin said:
i think we are staying in one of the beach view rooms. again they have had mixed reviews over time.
The good part about that, is that it lowers your expectations, so there's less chance of being disappointed.
If you come to Sosua to change money, go to a regular bank. They might not have the very best rate, but it will be a lot better than at the resort, and less risk than changing in the streets.
You can take a public car to the Texaco station in Sosua, for 10 pesos.
Have exact change, as they will be trying to get more.
Pay only as you get out, so even when they start blabbing away about how it should be more, you just keep walking away with a smile on your face.
You might want to visit Sosua's main bay beach, and also a trip out to Cabarete would be interesting.

wullie_mcmartin

Jul 4, 2006
Rocky said:
You might want to visit Sosua's main bay beach, and also a trip out to Cabarete would be interesting.

those are on my visit list, along with ocean world and paradise island.

The main compaints are a damp smell... air freshner perhaps?

Insects.... never heard of bug spray?

but if it's too bad i'm sure they will accomodate us elsewhere in the resort.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
wullie_mcmartin said:
those are on my visit list, along with ocean world and paradise island.
Should be a blast.

wullie_mcmartin said:
The main compaints are a damp smell... air freshner perhaps?
You could bring along a can of Lysol.
It's hard to find around here, and Lysol will get rid of mildew, if there is some.

wullie_mcmartin said:
Insects.... never heard of bug spray?

but if it's too bad i'm sure they will accomodate us elsewhere in the resort.
You have the right attitude.
I'm convinced you're going to have a great time.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
For beach view I suggest Building 5, third floor - rooms are a bit tired but generally adequate. Otherwise it's a good resort with many repeat guests. Free shuttle to Sosua and Cabarete three times a day. If necessary in the night a taxi back should only run $5US - $10US max.; otherwise try a guagua at least once - not to be missed.

Gregg

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
wullie_mcmartin said:
Morning!

First of all great site. I have learned so much about DR from this site. I'm now aware that we can go into town, and the stories of being locked into your resort are false.

Cheers

Wullie McMartin.

Whenever we stayed AI resorts, I always liked to bring about $100 in $1 US notes so that I could leave regular tips at the bar and restaraunts. But as Rocky noted you can always get some pesos and do the same with them. Also as Rocky stated do not exchange your money at the hotel or the airport as you will get a terrible rate from them. Hope you have a great stay...tom

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
wullie_mcmartin,

I'm heading there myself on July 15 and it's my first time at this resort. I have heard mixed reviews as well but from my past trips I realized you have to judge it for yourself and make the best of it!!! :)

I did hear building 10 and 11 were nice but as I tried to book those building with the hotel and they told me they are only standard rooms not superior rooms in both those buildings. My guests and I have all booked superior rooms so that won't work for us, too bad.

I'm not worried and I'm getting married there lol We will make the best of it regardless that's just how I am!!! :) Besides I love the DR it's like a second home!!! :)

I usually carry only 20, 10 and 5. I also bring a lot of one dollar bills for tipping :)

Never feel like your locked in, I don't I leave every day and it's fun to get out and explore so go for it!!!

Have fun and let us know how your tip goes!!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
twhitehead said:
Whenever we stayed AI resorts, I always liked to bring about $100 in $1 US notes so that I could leave regular tips at the bar and restaraunts. But as Rocky noted you can always get some pesos and do the same with them. Also as Rocky stated do not exchange your money at the hotel or the airport as you will get a terrible rate from them. Hope you have a great stay...tom
The airports now have change banks that exchange at the going rate.
The dudes walking around, trying to change your money will rip you off.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Rocky said:
The airports now have change banks that exchange at the going rate.
The dudes walking around, trying to change your money will rip you off.

Sorry Marco, I should have clarrified my post. I was more referring to the airport that you are flying from. In our trip down in April, the currency exchange bank in the Toronto airport was offering 26 pesos for a US dollar. Going rate when we arrived here was about 31.8. Big big difference and incredibly I did see many folks on the plane by their pesos at the Toronto Airport. tom

LynneM

Jul 17, 2006
Flying on Wednesday

Am also flying out on Wednesday and have been told to take lots of $1 - in fact when I asked for so many of them - guy at M&S knew i was going to DR. Its my first time to DR and I cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also staying at Breezes - fingers crossed!!

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
When you are in town and "off" the resort, only carry the amount of money that you need that day and maybe a credit card in another pocket. A big wad of bills is a major blip on some not so nice radar screens. Enjoy and get out to town a few times. Also do NOT wear much jewelery when out and about. I know this and still had a gold chain ripped off last month.

Bob K

Status
Not open for further replies.