ENERGY: Lights out in the Dominican Republic

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
"...Moreover, according to the central bank, the national grid loses 40% of the electricity generated through theft."

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Actually, it is thru theft and inefficient transmission lines. And the number might even be higher. I have heard as high as 25% for theft alone and 35% from inefficient transmission....Not very encouraging.\\

HB :D:D

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Let's imagine what an improvement the electricity sector (not to mention your electric bill) will have if that 40% that is lost via theft was delivered to their intended customers.... a perfect example of a simple solution that is not so simple to execute!

Reminds me of what a friend of mind told me once: Most people's problems are quite simple.... they don't have money!

With those two statements, I think it has been very simply and easily concluded the problems of the government in managing this persistent problem!

:cheeky: ;)

-NALs

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Mirador said:
"...Moreover, according to the central bank, the national grid loses 40% of the electricity generated through theft."

Why pay for something even a dictator used to hand you for free? ;)

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
aegap said:
Why pay for something even a dictator used to hand you for free? ;)

It has been almost fifty years to the day that the late Rafael L. Trujillo Molina, aka El Jefe, decided to nationalize the Electric Company of Santo Domingo, a subsidiary of the Stone & Webster Corporation, and expand the utility to cover non-paying customers in the growing capital city of Ciudad Trujillo and into the interior of the country, forcing out of business the small independent electric utilities serving smaller towns and cities. You are right, 50 years of populism in the electric sector is one bad habit to break.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Naaals,The Electricity Is Not Stolen From The Consumers,

It is stolen from the Electric Companies!!! "Duh!"
Secondly,the "Poor People" are not the problem! They can't consume much with their few light bulbs,a fan,a TV,and if they are "Lucky" a small refrigerator.
The Government doesn't pay,that includes:schools,hospitals, government building,and the military! Most large industries don't pay,and neither do the "RICH",politicos,and lots of others,including ME! I will pay when everyone pays!! I am going to pay 20,000 pesos a month when my neighbor don't??? Not Today!
I wish people who actually lived in the DR,and knew what they were talking about would post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Criss Colon said:
Secondly,the "Poor People" are not the problem! They can't consume much with their few light bulbs,a fan,a TV,and if they are "Lucky" a small refrigerator.......
I wish people who actually lived in the DR,and knew what they were talking about would post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am just so happy to see you back and posting. We live here. We pay, simply we have a community who pays. We all pay together, and something goes wrong, we all complain together. A while ago, three of us were standing outside in the streets, all together on the cells phones, and we were all complaining --- tied up all the lines and carried on complaining until we had service.

Again, I am so happy to see you back. Naaaals has been getting me down lately. You would not believe how many posts of mine lamented.... "Oohhh, if we only had CCCCccc back, he would know how to say this....." Too few of us that understand and remember the history --- and if you don't know the history, you're doomed to repeat it.

Welcome back! Don't go away again! OK!

Last edited:

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Stolen Electric

Chris said:
I am just so happy to see you back and posting. We live here. We pay, simply we have a community who pays. We all pay together, and something goes wrong, we all complain together. A while ago, three of us were standing outside in the streets, all together on the cells phones, and we were all complaining --- tied up all the lines and carried on complaining until we had service.

Again, I am so happy to see you back. Naaaals has been getting me down lately. You would not believe how many posts of mine lamented.... "Oohhh, if we only had CCCCccc back, he would know how to say this....." Too few of us that understand and remember the history --- and if you don't know the history, you're doomed to repeat it.

Welcome back! Don't go away again! OK!
:bunny: My mother and father in law pay for the electric thy use in the DR why dont the electric companys take the people to court who do not pay and fine them like they do in the UK and other country,s or let them pay on a card every week so its not a lot to find when the bill comes in or have token meters maybe they would find it easy to manage there money a lot of people on welfare in the uk pay every week or have a token meter

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Read the article: "It is not politically expedient" "Areas where it is politically convenient... "

It is more politics than legalities.

A case in point: Everyone in Las Galeras has electricity 24/7/365. The collection rate is hovering around 98%.

Ede-Norte has a collection rate of about 55%. Go figure.

HB :D:D:D

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
OK CC, I live here in the DR, and I do know what I am talking about.

First, I will say that you are an admitted THIEF. I hope they nail your ass, but good, and tack on the 150% penalty on top of what they estimate you have stolen. I hope it's a million pesos. I really dislike people like you. Crawl back under your rock.

You also add several intentional errors ( or lies):

"Most large companies don't pay" - Bullschitt. They might not pay everything they owe, but they are paying SOMETHING. I would accept that there are a few hundred big companies in the DR who are major thieves, but not "all" or even "a majority" of them. ALMOST ALL are still paying better than you admit doing. And this government is starting to catch several each month, and getting paid for the thefts.

Other companies around us in the Zona Franca were paying between $1 million and $4 million a month, with between 150 and 1500 employees, and their meters are constantly checked for both accuracy and the readings.

"The poor don't use much either." = Bullschitt. I've been in the barrios when they have luz. Every freaking lightbulb in every friggin house is burning (yea, yea I know = What if someone tries to come in and steal something????)

Do the math: 6 lightbulbs at 75 watts an hour + 2 fans at 50 watts an hour + 1 ceiling fan at 200 watts an hour + 1 refrigerator at (500 watts a day?) + a clothes iron at 1500 watts for an hour a week. If they are getting 8 hours of electricity a day, that adds up to about 200 kilowatt-hours a month, if they only get 8 hours a day. They pay nothing.

The true value in the example above would cost RD$732 a month for 200 kwhrs.If there are 1 million "poor" households, without a meter, that's still $732 million a month lost.

Poor, abused, mistreated poor people. We use about 400 kwhrs a month in our house, and pay about $2000 a month. No A/C units here. Only me walking around turning off unused lights burning, because I'm the one paying for it. And we have power for 99% of the time.

"The government doesn't pay for electricity" - Bullschitt. Each department DOES pay for power. Even under Hioplito, they were cutting government departments off for nonpayment of power. Were you sleeping?

I hope that someone else who pays for the electricity they use , while living in the DR, now speaks up.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dear "GRINGO",Get Some Rest!!!!!

I guess I sleep better than you do,because I leave my airconditioners running 24/7 :cool: :D
You,"Dislike" me? Perhaps you have mistaken "Dislike" .....for "Envy"??!:glasses:

"Crawl back under my rock"????? Did I ever say anything about you????

By the way,I do pay "something"! Last month my bill was 60 pesos!!!!!:cheeky: But that was at my house.At my apt.where I leave 2 airconditioners running day and night,I like it cold when I meet the "Ladies" there for a little "Afternoon Delight",I haven't paid a "dime" in over 5 years!!!!!:bunny: Now maybe you should drop by some afternoon,and I'll have a pretty young "Dominicana" play a "short" game of "Hide-the-Weenie" with you! Sounds like your "Tight Ass" needs to get "LAID"!!!!!:lick: :lick: :lick: :laugh: :devious:
CCCCCCCCCCCCcccccccccccccccCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCccccccccccccccCCCCC

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
2 beers and a CC classic, let the weekend begin!

Criss Colon said:
I guess I sleep better than you do,because I leave my airconditioners running 24/7 :cool: :D
You,"Dislike" me? Perhaps you have mistaken "Dislike" .....for "Envy"??!:glasses:

"Crawl back under my rock"????? Did I ever say anything about you????

By the way,I do pay "something"! Last month my bill was 60 pesos!!!!!:cheeky: But that was at my house.At my apt.where I leave 2 airconditioners running day and night,I like it cold when I meet the "Ladies" there for a little "Afternoon Delight",I haven't paid a "dime" in over 5 years!!!!!:bunny: Now maybe you should drop by some afternoon,and I'll have a pretty young "Dominicana" play a "short" game of "Hide-the-Weenie" with you! Sounds like your "Tight Ass" needs to get "LAID"!!!!!:lick: :lick: :lick: :laugh: :devious:
CCCCCCCCCCCCcccccccccccccccCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCccccccccccccccCCCCC
I cant even see straight I'm laughing so hard. Step right up, ASS is being served!

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
No guilty conscience here!

Mr. CC do you not feel in the least remorseful for refusing to pay your electric bill?
Judging by your posts, it seems you can very well afford to pay it. you don't come across as a poor person or a "tigre".
You do, however, remind me of some members of this family in our neighborhood by the name of Burgos-Gomez. I can't accuse or condemn them all. That would not be fair. But a few of the ones I met (large family), in my estimation, though they were too rich and important to pay for electricity. And, apparently, they didn't.
It seems they were connected to the higher-ups in the military and therefore, this was a good reason to steal away big time. Not only did they not pay for their house consumption, (I was told), but also Their chain of furniture stores.
How do I know this? At the time, one of their daughters, whom I was seeing, told me. We used to have conversations on the whole morality issues pertaining to this but she did not seem too perturbed about it.
eventually it came to my attention some of them were dishonest in more ways than one. My impression was that the words responsibility, honor, and fair play was not in these people's dictionary. They overtly relished their deceitful exploits. How sad is that?
If they ever paid their dues, I don't know. Did not want part of that any further.
So, Mr. CC, If you find it amusing, and have no qualms about stealing electricity, can you be any different than a common thief?
I submit to you sir, that if not for so many people with your type of mentality, DR would be a much better place to live. No question about it.

cuas

May 29, 2006
There are several kinds of electricity consumers.
1.- Who are billed the correct amount and pays the bill.
2.- Who has the meter fixed to pay less amount and pays the bill.
3.- Who has 2 lines, one through the meter and one directly from the street
and pays the bill.
4.- Who has a contract with somebody that comes every month before the
meter is read to play with the numbers on the meter and pays the bill.
5.- Who has no meter and has the line connected to the pole and pays no
bill.
6.- Who has inside connection who fix the bill and pay the bill and the
inside connection.
7.- Who has a line coming from a neighbor and share the bill.
8.- Who never gets a bill.
9.- Who ignores the bill.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
I Hear Ya Criss

Criss Colon said:
Secondly,the "Poor People" are not the problem! They can't consume much with their few light bulbs,a fan,a TV,and if they are "Lucky" a small refrigerator.
The Government doesn't pay,that includes:schools,hospitals, government building,and the military! Most large industries don't pay,and neither do the "RICH",politicos,and lots of others,including ME! I will pay when everyone pays!! I am going to pay 20,000 pesos a month when my neighbor don't??? Not Today!
My home is in the SouthWest..We get electricity every 4 hours then 4 hours on battery backup then 4 more hours of electricity..I ain't paying S--t unless everone of my neighbors pay also..I have more than a few light bulbs and a fan/small fridge also...If anyone has a gripe about electric costs than install Solar Power...Here is the # Sol Luz Dominicana in Sosua.809-571-2447
809-571-2411

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Come on... Up to now, the distributors get paid whether they deliver or not. Once the agreements are changed, perhaps it will be worth while paying. If i was in CCcccc's shoes, I would not pay also.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
even elected poletician and (former) MLB stars steal it!

SAN CRISTOBAL, Dominican Republic.- Crews which detect and eliminate electrical fraud have uncovered irregularities worth some RD$50 million in the last 2 months, including illegal connections found in the homes of the ex- Major Leagues ball players Raul Mondesí and Jose Rijo.
For the presumed fraud uncovered in the multimillionaire ex- big leaguer’s residence and deputy-elect for the governing PLD party in this southern province, Mondesí was fined RD$150,000, which has yet to be paid, said of the National Electrical Fraud Elimination Support Program (Paef) PR Jorge Peguero.

Peguero stressed that in the last days crews have conducted operations, supported by helicopters, to detect transformers and high tension cables in the ceilings of houses and large residential properties according to the Paef oficial, the other companies where illegal connections detected to hide the real energy consumption are Helados Manresa (ice cream), Ferretería Haché (hardware store) avenue John F. Kennedy; Cítricos Dominicanos, William Salazar (summer house), the farm of Juan Antonio Rosario Polanco, and the farm Marbella.
According to the list provided by Paef, electric fraud was also detected in the farms of Rafael Lora, Luis Haché, Pedro Musa, Eladio Pérez, Franklin López and Darío Ciprián.
In addition, Electrocasa Leandro Féliz, tower Génesis, residential Cordero, Inversiones y Negocios S.A., Seminario El Buen Pastor, tower Naragua III, Telecable San Cristóbal, Discoteca Foxes, Supermercado Marjorie, residential Ivett I, condominium El Trébol.
Also restaurant Pepinos, Autoventa S.A., the apartments 502, 701 and 202 of the tower Fabré II, Solitex S.A., bakery La Francesa, among others.
http://dominicantribune.com/app/article.aspx?id=15466

http://hoy.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=73805&commentMode=true

is the fact they actually fined him and made it be known public a positive thing? ..he's a elected deputy (DR equivalent of a US congressman)and A member of the GOP, Leonel's party

Last edited:

Boletero

Jun 16, 2006
The truth of the matter is that electricity theft is a vicious cycle. I grew up in a very religious family, so that kind of theft wasnt allowed. but the argument always came up because it just seemed unfair that while our family was paying DR$2k or more there plenty other families that were "stealing". The men in my family always wanted to go the illegal way but my grandma being the matrona that she was (may she rest in peace) always put her foot down. to her stealing was stealing and she wasnt going to hell just to have AC and TV for free....

It really has to do a lot with growing up and the culture. You grow up not paying and seing ppl stealing it and not getting caught, why should yo pay? no one else is. and that is the mentality that a great majority of ppl have in DR. Also law is not very enforceable over there, things are changin fast tho, due to the fact of "el tratado de libre comercio" with the US thats coming into effect soon. the US businesses are putting some pressure on the DR government to clean up its act if they want investment to flow and that is happening, very slowly, but something is better than nothing. I no longer live in the DR, but the ever time i go back home i notice that its not as bad as in the late 80's or all through out the 90's where u would spend a day or more witn no electricity and get 4 hrs and then another day. now at least its reversed, 1 day of electricity and 4 hrs on nothing. an improvement but still can be better.

I wouldnt judge so fast the ppl that steal it (Cc stealing is stealing no matter what) hell if i could without getting caught i would. but i rather contibute to the progress of DR (even tho the electricity companies probably stealing money themselves). none of my family members steal it. how do i know? because they all biotch at how much it is every month. and i would see it unfair seeing my family pay and others and myself not.