Sosua Bay Hotel- food poisening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

starnut

Jul 5, 2006
Will be there tomorrow and keep getting reports of people getting sick. Does anyone have the inside scoop. Do you think it's food poisening or are people downing bad water? LOL! I'm nervous and excited all at the same time.
Thanks

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
starnut said:
Will be there tomorrow and keep getting reports of people getting sick. Does anyone have the inside scoop. Do you think it's food poisening or are people downing bad water? LOL! I'm nervous and excited all at the same time.
Thanks
I have heard nothing, but you could check out Debbie's forum, as they specialize in AI resorts.
http://debsdrtravels.proboards47.com/index.cgi?board=Poparea
If there is a problem, I'm sure you'll find it mentioned.

starnut

Jul 5, 2006
Thanks Rocky. My hope is that so long as we are careful, we will be okay. Debbie's forum mentions nothing but some other reviews have been bad recently. I'm just going to go there with a positive attitude an hope for the best. :)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Drink only bottled water, trust your nose for anything you eat, and if you think you are very prone to getting sick, brush your teeth with bottled water as well and keep a supply of immodium on hand.
That being said, if there were problems right now, they would be talking about it on Debbie's.
Happy travels.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
from my past experience there, it's the water. the water at sosua bay taste like the water from the beach !! never had a problem with the food...

btw, remember mixed drinks (with ice) from the bar is still bad water..yanno ?

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
My wife and I spent the first week of June at the Victorian House. The food was outstanding. The buffet for breakfast and lunch was very well done with great variety. We went to a different speciality restaurant each evening and it was close to perfect. The French restaurant is not to be missed. The only slight improvement could come at the Asian restaurant.
We knew of no one there who was ill. This is very old news and hopefully it will go away. This is a very nice hotel.
Please give our love to Mercedes.

starnut

Jul 5, 2006
this is why i love this board. you guys keep it real. thanks for the advice everyone. I'm really looking forward to my trip. I figured as much with the water and ice thing and will just be smart about it all. I think some of the bad reviews are kinda silly, but hearing the good words from you guys is just what i needed to ease my mind. :)

Kyle- I'm a liquor lover. Am I just gonna have to have warm drinks or switch to beer? suggestions?

drtampa- thanks for the good review. I can't wait to try the cuisine. I will certainly say hi to Mercedes. :)

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Ice.

starnut said:
this is why i love this board. you guys keep it real. thanks for the advice everyone. I'm really looking forward to my trip. I figured as much with the water and ice thing and will just be smart about it all. I think some of the bad reviews are kinda silly, but hearing the good words from you guys is just what i needed to ease my mind. :)

Kyle- I'm a liquor lover. Am I just gonna have to have warm drinks or switch to beer? suggestions?

drtampa- thanks for the good review. I can't wait to try the cuisine. I will certainly say hi to Mercedes. :)

Commercially made ice (in bags) invariably has pencil-sized hole in each piece. They use purified water which is safe in drinks. If the ice is in irregular chunks without holes, it is likely made with tap water, which is definitely not good to drink. Canadian Bob.

starnut

Jul 5, 2006
Hey everyone. 3rd day at Sosua Bay Hotel/Victoria house and one happy camper. Food and drink are great and feeling wonderful. :0)

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
The little hole in the ice

starnut said:

If the ice has a hole through it (sort of like a donut) it is made from purified water. Avoid ice that is made of broken off chunks as this may be made from unpurified local water. I don't think you will experience this at the resort though. However, you just might bump into a lazy or imcompetent employee that practices using local water. Be careful in the small bars scattered around, however most people understand the problem with the water and purified ice is almost always used.

Don't use tap water for anything other then showering and washing up. Do not even rinse your toothbrush with tap water. Bottled water is very inexpensive and can be bought anywhere by the 5 gallon bottle.

Now go and enjoy those drinks, no need to drink them warm.

Last edited:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
starnut, i don't think so...i drank so many cuba libres (dominican rum and coke) i believe it killed all the germs in my stomach !!

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
We got back from Sosua yest we stayed in Casa Marina we were assured that the ice in the resort was fine and as a spirts drinker myself i can also recommend the ice in the Voodoo lounge and Club X also. Presidente in a bottle is really good too dnt think i'll be able 2 find it here tho :(

joecanada

Jan 15, 2004
Best advice I can give you, aside from avoiding the tap water -- wash your hands. Well and often.

You can pick up those small bottles of alcohol-based hand-wash at any pharmacy. Get in the habit of washing your hands more often than usual (MUCH more often for many people) and your chances of being stuck in a room with a bug diminish exponentially.

Cheers!

joe

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
re Scotty
I don't think you will find one singel bar in Sosua that makes their own Ice, not even at the beach. They all buy the ice from the same company. Drink your Cuba Libre without fear at any bar.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
In my experience, the danger is in eggs. Be careful about undercooked scrambled eggs, and desserts that include egg or cream.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Gabriela said:
In my experience, the danger is in eggs. Be careful about undercooked scrambled eggs, and desserts that include egg or cream.
Although bad eggs can be a source of Salmonella poisoning, if an egg is bad, you can't cook the bad out of it.
If your egg smells or looks funny, don't touch it.
Otherwise, if it seems fresh, there should be no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.