Help me get from Punta Cana airport to Las Terrenas cheaply and quickly. Ferry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidM

Jun 29, 2006
I will be flying into Punta Cana for a very short visit (24 hours) and I want to see Las Terrenas. I had originally planned on renting a car and driving there. I am now discovering that it can take from 7-10 hours to drive there and driving at night is NOT recommended.

Please help me find the cheapest way to get to Las Terrenas for this brief time.

I will be arriving at 1:30 pm. Should I take the ferry? I read about a Ferry that I can take from Sabana de la Mar to Samana.

Exactly how do I do this and what is the cost? Can I take a motoconcho to Sabana de la Mar from the airport? Where do I locate one, as opposed to a taxi? What should the cost be?
The sticky on this website states that in 2004 a one-way taxi ride from the airport to Sabana del la Mar cost $120 USD! WOW. That is way too much, especially if I can renta car for $30 USD. Should I just rent a car from the airport and leave it at the ferry stand? Can I drive my car onto the ferry? What is that cost?

Can I drive my car onto the ferry? What is that cost for a person without a car, and what is the cost for a person and the car?
I read that this is about a 3 ½ drive from the airport to the ferry. Is that correct?

I read that the ferry’s crossing to Samana departs at 3pm and 5pm, so I will probably be on the 5pm ferry I suppose.

I read that the ferry takes a little over an hour. Is that correct?

How do I get from Samana to Las Terrenas? Motoconcho?
I read that the drive from Samana to Las Terrenas takes approximately an hour.

So, it looks like if I take the ferry that I will arrive in Las Terrenas at approximately 7 pm. At the end of August will it still be light enough to look around or will it be dark?

Basically, I do not want to spend a bunch of money. It will just be me and my small backpack, so I could take a moto concho if it is not raining.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:

DavidM

Jun 29, 2006
Due to the great advice that I received onthis website, I determined that I will not be able to do what I had desired in the time restrictions.

I am now flying into Santo Domingo rather than Punta Cana. I still will be going to Las Terrenas.

I will post a separate thread asking questions and look forward to any help that you wonderful people can provide.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.