El Cortecito

PhillyJames

Jul 6, 2006
Hello,

I am heading back to Bavaro at the end of July and wanted if anyone knows if it is possible to bike (bicycle) to El Cortecito from Grand Paradise Bavaro?? Last winter we took a cab, and the ride didn't seem too long, and I'd like to go via bicycle this time. Any help would be appreciated.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
While it is certainly within the capacity of even a moderate bicycler to cycle from Grand Paradise Bavaro to El Corticito;

it is my humble opinion, given the road conditions and most importantly the typical driving habits of most Dominican drivers,

THAT YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE OUT OF YOUR FREAKIN' MIND TO ACTUALLY DO THIS.

Meant in the most helpful of ways, only.

I now return you to regularly scheduled programming - LOL.

Gregg

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If what you're looking for is cheap transportation to and from, you might want to consider a motoconcho...

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Gregg, I think your warning is a bit over the top. Yes it's not without danger to bicycle in the DR, but I don't see the same shouts for using motoconchos, which are very dangerous too. Heck, your warning is even followed by an advise to use a motoconcho. I've cycled around Cabarete and in Santo Domingo, and although it's not for the faint hearted I've felt much more scared the times I've been on the back of a motoconcho. Biking in the DR is not like a bit of pedalling in your local park, and if you're no experienced cyclist forget it. If you are, and are prepared to be very carefull all the time, (and find a place to rent a good bike in Bavaro), enjoy the ride.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
qgrande said:
Gregg, I think your warning is a bit over the top. Yes it's not without danger to bicycle in the DR, but I don't see the same shouts for using motoconchos, which are very dangerous too. Heck, your warning is even followed by an advise to use a motoconcho. I've cycled around Cabarete and in Santo Domingo, and although it's not for the faint hearted I've felt much more scared the times I've been on the back of a motoconcho. Biking in the DR is not like a bit of pedalling in your local park, and if you're no experienced cyclist forget it. If you are, and are prepared to be very carefull all the time, (and find a place to rent a good bike in Bavaro), enjoy the ride.
I understand your comments but you may have missed the attempt (perhaps not caught) at humour - OK maybe I'm not really that funny.

My point was to make thw OP aware that biciclying is not really recommended (IMHO) due to the potential danger. In most cases in the DR, tonnage rules the road and everything is larger than a bicycle.

Gregg

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
PhillyJames said:
Hello,

I am heading back to Bavaro at the end of July and wanted if anyone knows if it is possible to bike (bicycle) to El Cortecito from Grand Paradise Bavaro?? Last winter we took a cab, and the ride didn't seem too long, and I'd like to go via bicycle this time. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, you can bike. But, a car, taxi, or bus is recommended for transit. Traveling by bike you take your life in your hand in order to negotiate roads in questionable repair, having to pass through one on the worst congested narrow traffic intersections in the east, the Friusa crossroad, just to get to El Cortecito. A bike is on the low end of the food chain next to that of a pedestrian when it comes to the dangers of being exposed to Dominican driving etiquette. A cow or horse will get more respect from a driver. Yet, they are often seen lifeless at the side of the road because most drivers do not practice caution.

Bike if you desire and but beforehand take out travel and medical evacuation insurance.

Regards,
PJT

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
PhillyJames,

Let me start by welcoming you to DR1. This is the place to get those questions answered that you have. As you noticed Gregg with his humor tried to give you some sound advice. Having lived here for ten years I own a motorcycle but I would never ride a bicycle here because I don't have the power to avoid a danger like the throttle on my motor offers. If you are as well trained as Ggrande then maybe a bicycle is for you.

At this time let me suggest that after your trip here that when you find the time you post a report in the "Trip Report" forum. That will allow us and new members to see how your trip went with its goods and bads and help everyone better understand visiting the DR. Enjoy your stay.

Rick