Disappointed with British feedback...

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
I'm not a happy lass! Having told all I know that I'm off to the DR I have had exactly ZERO positive feedback from those that have been already! NO "Hoping you have a wonderful time - check out x,y or z while you're there!" , NO "FANTASIC!! - you're gonna love it!!" NOPE!! To date (other than UK feedback on here) the message has been: "WOH! BE CAREFUL taking children there!!"/ "Stay in the AI - the DR is a dangerous place!"/ "Don't go out of the resort without a guide!" etc. etc. etc.:ermm:

I refrained from posting before on this issue as I assumed my mates to be a minority of British opinion (STILL hoping they are!!) BUT (and THIS took the chocolate cookie!!) I went to have my hair done today, you know the conversations of hairdressers? ALL asking about your holiday?? Conversation with COMPLETE stranger went something like this:

Hairdresser: "So! You off on holiday this year?"
Me: "Yeah! Off to the DR with my family soon!!"
HD: "God?? With KIDS???"
Me: "Yeah...why?"
HD: "I went there last year with me boyfriend - WORST holiday I've ever had! The hotel was cr*p and it really spoiled it coz you can't leave the AI there it's so dangerous!"

SOOO she went on about "grubby towels", "leaking showers" and "DISGUSTING FOOD!"...I politely asked whether she ever left the resort to which she replied "Yeah - in the last few days I HAD to get outta there as I hadn't eaten well for over a week. My rep didn't like it but I told her I'd had enough of the S*** H***!! Luckily I didn't get attacked but I wouldn't take kids there!!"

I left soon after having aired my "sorrys" that she's had a "cr*p" time and suggesting that maybe she research before going next time. BUT OMG!!! WHATEVER are tourists being told??? I can understand that if your room is "rubbish" it may not be the best of starts to your holiday - but to allow it to ruin the chance of a brilliant holiday otherwise in a different country??? I really am "gob-smacked"!! FANCY her waiting until she was half-starved to venture into the "big bad out of AI" DR!! FANCY every single individual I have spoken to about my holiday "puking up" rep. advise!! WHO ARE THESE POEPLE??? - Mind-benders???:surprised I knew from reading on here that tourists were given "the talk" on arrival but DEAR GOD what does that talk involve for so many to "buy it"???

I am surprised but more so disappointed indeed!! Ahhh! Now I've got that rant over I feel strangely relieved! ATB, Emma ;-)

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Emma-
I hope that you have a great trip. I'm not sure where, in the DR you are heading. The DR is fine, it's no different than any other place. You, of course, want to use comon sense. IE. Don't go into a dark alley by yourself, travel where there is alot of public, so you are not singled out... etc.

The DR has many wonderful places to visit, and I hope you and your family have a fantastic time.

Hope you will post your holiday review when you return home. Would love to hear all about it.

lisa

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
TY Lisa - will do report my review once back! :)

I'm just disappointed the Brits I've spoken to are seemingly "brain washed"???

I'm going to Sosua (where hairdresser went apparently! - MAN! She "crushed the place" as though in a competition to do so!!) BUT intend on travelling around the North coast while there...

ATB Emma ;-)

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Having been to the DR several times hopefully I can give you some tips that will make your visit more enjoyable. Most of the AI hotels are crap and you would never want to venture out of them because the whole country is very dangerous for all tourists. Do not expect clean towels, showers that do not leak, working A/C, or clean sheets more than once a week. There is no way you should ever take children to the DR. There are so many bad influences, and there is nothing for them to do, it may take years of therapy to bring your kids back to normal.

Do not count on a good meal at your hotel. Yes I know it is included, but you would be better off to eat chicken from street vendors. Avoid local fruits at all costs. The tap water is safe to drink as it is a law that all drinking water in the DR be chlorinated.

If your hotel has a beach, try to purchase anything you need from these beach vendors. You will find it to be of the highest quality and reasonable in price.

Please try to spend some time with the male staff member at the hotel, especially those who are in the nightly show. They will teach you the latest?s dance steps and comfort you if you feel down. I would suggest that you tip them accordingly.

Have a wonderful trip.

Chuckuindy

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Emma22 said:
I'm just disappointed the Brits I've spoken to are seemingly "brain washed"???

Emma,
Some of the non brain washed ones have actually been living in the DR for the past 14 years..............;) When you told fellow Brits. back then that you were moving to the DR, the ones who now tell you it's terrible were the ones who had never heard of it back then. Blame it on cheap holidays. And tour reps. who know or think they know that some of these folk are so thick they're bound to get into all sorts of trouble through inability to exercise common sense so they advise the herd to have a herd mentality and stay put on the resort. Stops the rep. having to waste time getting people out of jail........ you can't really blame them. They have to deal with the material they have............:laugh:

Sosua is not representative of the whole of the DR by any means, so yes, do get out and about and take mountainfrog's advice.

And have a WONDERFUL time.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
woooohooo that's fantastic!!!!! Watch out for those sankies. ;)

Keep in touch

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Emma22 has been a board member for less then a month and has 198 posts to date. She has taken an active part in a number of threads and has asked a lot of questions of which she has received a number of meaningful and good responses. I have no doubt that she will have a wonderful time while here as she has done a lot of research and she knows where a number of DR1'ers are if problems arise.

Having said all that then I guess your OP Emma was to get that negativism from back home out of your system and I hope it worked.

Please make sure you report in the "Trip Report" forum about your "Holiday".

Rick

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
Yep Rick - I've had my "rant"!!! - Though I remain truely amazed (and a tad disappointed!) SO many Brits seemingly go abroad without any "asking of questions" and without any research before going...my assumption being that they either don't care or they're a bit stupid - I don't care to choose!!!

I do have a lot of posts given my time here - annoying I may be!! LOL! BUT I have learned a great deal from asking and asking some more, from giving my opinion and then being challenged for it (doth make you a wiser individual in the end!!) and I go to the DR (a country I've never visited before!) 100% more knowledgable than I ever would have been had I not joined DR1!

Bet on my "Trip Report" on my return - I encourage my children too (9 & 5) to keep "holiday diaries" so thinking maybe nice if I include some of THEIR thinking of the DR within my trip report? :)

ATB! Emma ;-) - Anti-sankie all the way Anna!!! :-D

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Emma,

Your idea of adding the thoughts of your two children is a wonderful idea and I don't remember seeing anything of that nature being done before. That would be a tremendous help to those visiting with children and they and I would be very interested in hearing what your children have to say about our little paradise.

Rick

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
Will do so then - thinking the knowledge of them "being on the computer for others to see" will no doubt add to their enthusiasm of diary entries!! :-D Will quote them straight to screen!! Emma ;-)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Emma22, I got a flight-only deal to the DR from England once, and shared the plane with British package tourists. The short 'information' film about the DR they show on the flight had to be seen to be believed.

As Lambada says, the type of person who takes these packages is not your adventurous traveller who takes their time to read up about the country, let alone learn a few Spanish phrases in advance of their trip. Hell, the film on the plane assumes they don't even know that Spanish is the language spoken in the DR. This is the point where the brainwashing starts about not leaving the resorts, about the natives being 'harmless - as long as you don't go too near', etc. etc.

The tourists aren't even given a chance. It is assumed that they cut their teeth as young lager louts in Benidorm and Faliraki and as they grew older and more sedate they move on to less cheap'n'nasty family destinations like the Caribbean, but without having developed any sense of adventure or interest in the world. They might not be parading down the streets flashing their buttocks any more but their requirements are seen to be much the same - a suntan and all the booze you can drink.

It is a shame, because although there are undoubtedly some tourists who fit that rather disparaging stereotype, there must be at least a small percentage with the potential to appreciate the country beyond the resort.

I also look forward to hearing you and your kids' verdict. When is it that you travel?

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
This is no only the British, I read the same stories of people being scared by their tour reps not to leave the resort on Dutch message boards. And most people buy this stuff, as they are unfamiliar with the exploring sides of tourism and came for the sun, sea and free drinks anyway. And, like Chiri writes, the Caribbean All-Inclusive is only a step up from partying on the Spanish Costa's (with for the Dutch Lloret de Mar instead of Benidorm and mayonaise instead of salt & vinegar on the chips as only difference :)). Sadly, because the DR has this image of cheap beach package tourism, even those that would be interested to discover the country, don't do so because they think the DR does not have much to offer besides beach and booze. Most adventurous travellers never choose the DR as their destination, but places like Guatemala, Peru or Cuba.
It would be interesting to know whether this situation is the same for all visiting nationalities. For the British and Dutch, and perhaps the Germans it is. The more individual, less herd-like and slighty more refined tourism of the French in Las Terrenas, or the many golf courses that might be mainly popular with North Americans, might suggest that the DR attracts other types of visitors from those places, and will probably have another image among tourists in other countries than Britain (and the Netherlands & Germany). Maybe North Americans and South Europeans and others can share their view on this.
Emma, enjoy your trip, and maybe you can encourage a few compatriots to be a bit more adventurous ;).

Last edited:

Stewhart

Sep 12, 2003
Im sure you will have a great time, i first went to Sosua about 13 years ago as a 9 year old, had a fantastic time and never looked back since, i would try to travel arouns as much as possible like others have mentioned, the only miss fortune is that u are in AI but if you are taking children i hear this can be easier.

but once again as a preteen and even a teen there i have never felt in danger, but of course there are places in any coutry its not wise to venture at 3am but common sense usualy pervails, its not the first time my family and i have heard such things as it was really bad or we had a bad time until we ventured outside the complex, im unsure why there is a need to tell vacationers that its unsafe, its rather disheartening when most dominicans go that extra mile to welcome you and make your holiday as enjoyment filled as they can.

well thats my tuppence worth

enjoy your holiday and check out Eddys for the sports and a friendly canadian face.

like somoene said check out places like Saman? alittle bit of traveling from sosua but some beautiful things to see!

Regards

Stewart

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Emma,

As I sit here typing this I WISH that wishes came true and my wish would be to be in the DR while you are there. I wish for this because I would love to show you how great it is. Yes there is crime and all of that. Like others have suggested here if you are going to go outside of the AI just use common sense. Go to places of high traffic where you wouldn't be singled out.

There's got to be someone in the Sosua area willing to show Emma and her family around. Anybody out there???

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Chirimoya said:
It is a shame, because although there are undoubtedly some tourists who fit that rather disparaging stereotype, there must be at least a small percentage with the potential to appreciate the country beyond the resort.
I think those who have "the potential to appreciate the country beyong the resort" are the one's complaining back in England and elsewhere.

Think about it, if all they wanted was a resort vacation, why would they warn someone about taking the kids or about going there or even about perceived dangers? Aren't they going to spend their entire time in the resort walls anyways?

I think those who are complaining in Europe and/or North America about not being able to leave the resort because their tour rep scared the living daylights out of them; they are the one's with the spirit of adventure. Unfortunately, even the most adventure oriented individual would have his/her spirit damaged before they even land in the country!

-NALs

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
as a long time visiter of DR who has NEVER stayed in an AI, i'm starting to believe that the real danger in DR is INSIDE the AI's and not outside. DR is a beautiful country that is safe to explore. i think tourists are being brainwashed so all the euros and dollars can stay inside the resorts and the animation workers can corral their victims. just my .02 cents

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
NALs said:
I think those who have "the potential to appreciate the country beyong the resort" are the one's complaining back in England and elsewhere.

Think about it, if all they wanted was a resort vacation, why would they warn someone about taking the kids or about going there or even about perceived dangers? Aren't they going to spend their entire time in the resort walls anyways?

I think those who are complaining in Europe and/or North America about not being able to leave the resort because their tour rep scared the living daylights out of them; they are the one's with the spirit of adventure. Unfortunately, even the most adventure oriented individual would have his/her spirit damaged before they even land in the country!

-NALs

I don't think it's like that. Most complains I see are from people who did take an organised excursion from the resort once or twice. The complaint is than often combined with a warning to others not to leave the resort if it is not on an organised excursion. Leaving the resort once or twice on an organised excursion does not ask for much 'spirit of adventure' . More adventurous travel would be not staying in AIs, travelling by public transport and exploring the interior away from the resort towns. There are many many people that travel like that in other countries, but unfortunately very few choose the DR for that. Back-packing in Peru, Australia, Thailand, etc. is big business. I do not think those are scared by the danger, I think they are scared by the image of cheap package deals and sun and sea tourism.
But I would still like to know whether there are differences between natonalities in the way they spend their vacation in the DR; are all as herd-like, cheap, and beach and booze focused as the British and Dutch?

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
El Tigre said:
There's got to be someone in the Sosua area willing to show Emma and her family around. Anybody out there???

I have had conversations with both HB and Scotty off board - they have pointed me in the direction of lots of places to go and have been stars in dealing with my *endless* questions! LOL!

I am yet to see the "in flight" video OR hear the "rep. talk"...I'm just very disappointed not more Brits "check a destination out" before visiting :-(

Any-ho! My girls are ready with their pens and paper - I will feel quite privileged to be the first to offer the "views of children" on such a good site - may many a Brit read their accounts!! My eldest in particular is good with words - her account of Thailand last year made me 100% SURE I'd been right in taking her out of Europe. Man! She learned more in those 2 weeks than she EVER would have at school! Her first trip abroad was long, long-haul (though Europe would have been a "quicker and easier" bet!!) - stopping off at Sri Lanka mid flight! It was a long way to take a 9 & 5 year old for a first trip (especially as we did it "right" and lived in a "hut" rather than a hotel for the duration!) My girls LOVED it and are just SOOO excited about going to the DR! May many a Brit read their accounts as currently opinions of those I've met have been nothing short of "dismal"!! :ermm:

ATB, Emma ;-)

Edit: Sorry, they were 8 & 4 last year! - Even LONGER for children so young!! ;-)

Edit again to add: 2 weeks from the 19th Chirimoya...sorry, missed that before!

Last edited: