Travelling with a baby - Canada/US/DR

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
Has anyone recently (2006) travelled with a Canadian born baby (1 Canadian / 1 Dominican parent - both on birth certificate BUT I'm here and he's there...)

I have to travel from CA to DR through the US

I have been told I will need:

Baby's Birth certificate

Canadian passport for the baby (one site said necessary because babies do not have other picture ID to go along with the birth certificate, other said canadians can travel through with birth certificate alone...)

Letter from the baby's father (carta de routa) saying he is aware and consents to the trip. (One site said notarized other did not specify)

What I currently have is:

Plane ticket for this thursday...
Letter of consent from baby's father (not notarized)
Birth certificate

I'm waiting on the passport application (his daddy signed) which is taking it's sweet time to arrive by INPOSDOM express service (only hope for a passport is if papers arrive tomorrow AND foreign affairs decides we qualify for a 24 hrs express passport).

I just really do not want to be sent home mid-trip by the US border people...

Good grief...

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Re-Import

tiguerita said:
...I just really do not want to be sent home mid-trip by the US border people...
Good grief...

OMG, I'll include you in my good night prayers.

m'frog

P.S.:
Why was the ticket bought so early?
Or did the happy father send it to you not knowing about the red tape involved? ;)

Last edited:
G

gary short

WTF............Why don't you just get the proper documentation and be done with it??????????????

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
Proper docs

gary short said:
WTF............Why don't you just get the proper documentation and be done with it??????????????

I have been trying since the baby was born.

All this is because I had the baby's father's name put on the birth certificate. It was important to me to do things right, "father unknown" seemed like a horrible thing to declare (as it is not true). Now I know in Canada, doing things right makes life very difficult ever after... It took me extra time to get all baby's documents.

I got legal custody thinking that, would get me back in charge... but no... it really doesn't mean anything to have custody I find out... I still need his father to sign off on everything... and he is not the speediest. So even though I asked for it all over a month ago... I am getting it in bits and pieces and my travel date is so close I could blink and miss it.

We have friends who say they have travelled with their kids no passport no problem... so he thinks I'm exagerrating... that is why I'm asking for anyone with recent experience for advice.

damn... just get the proper docs... like that is so easy... "soon come" as the west indians say.:paranoid:

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
Coordinating

mountainfrog said:
OMG, I'll include you in my good night prayers.

m'frog

P.S.:
Why was the ticket bought so early?
Or did the happy father send it to you not knowing about the red tape involved? ;)

The ticket was bought a month ago but I started tring to get all the documents ready before hand... it's just a nightmare... I have a first copy here were he signed the passport application "half" in the wrong place :ermm: I'm now wondering if I should go to the passport office with it and see... if someone takes pity on me... but I doubt it. :tired:

I find it ridiculous he should have to sign everything in the first place. He does not live in Canada to begin with... so I'm not kidnapping our son away from him... rather taking him there to meet him for the first time. I realize why the rules were made but it sucks when your situation does not fit the mold. My lawyer says even if I try to get the court appointed right to sign for the passport or travel letter myself, it will never be a permanent right (even if he agrees, which he does to sign me over whatever rights he can) because in Quebec parents have equal rights forever no matter what the situation... I can't get my head around it.

G

gary short

Sorry kiddo......sounds like an ordeal......good luck...

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Macho Rights

tiguerita said:
... so I'm not kidnapping our son away from him...

This may be seen sthat way when you try to leave this country.Be sure to have HIS consent again.

BTW, is HE married?

Alas, it seems a mistake was made more than a year ago... ;)

m'frog

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
Mistake...lol...

No he's not married... and no we are not married...lol...

Mistake? It's so hard to say... there are no guarantees in life and now I have my son, whom I love.

I could have spent a couple more years looking for Mr. Perfect to father my child I suppose... but it seems these days that even if you find the seemingly perfect "one" it will most probably fail. Sad isn't it.

I'm not totally "amargada" or anything, I think the possibility for love and a "forever" relationship is out there... I'm just not counting on it is all.

I finally got the documents I needed in the mail from my ex this afternoon and it looks like it's a go on the emergency passport. I have a receipt to go and pick it up wednesday morning (si Dios quiere). What a trip this will be...

He sent me the return "carta de routa" at the same time, I don't think there will be any problems... if he put an "impedimiento de salida" on me, he'd have to support me & the baby...jajaja so there... not likely...:cheeky: