Bank Mortgage

Davek

Mar 24, 2005
I am a US citizen and I purchased a condo in the DR. I have a down payment on the condo but need some help with financing the rest. I checked with mortgage companies in the US and they do not finance offshore properties. Does anyone have any information they would like to share on the banks in the DR about mortgages? Refinancing, etc.. This would be greatly appreciated.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Sorry no one has answered your question here.

To get a mortgage in the DR, it is normal to pay 30% to 35% down. Unless a bank is pushing a special rate, or you have really strong credit established here in the DR, it is very unlikely to get a mortgage with less than 25% down on a property. Financing can be gotten through either banks, such as Banco Popular, or the Savings and Loan (Ahorros y Prestamos) organization here.

Recently rates have been running from 14-16% and upwards on a peso-based mortgage. This depends on your credit, and your equity in the property. The good part is that after a couple of years of normal devaluation of the peso, the payments become easier to make.

There are mortgages available here in US $ terms, but harder to find. I have a dominican friend who got such a mortgage about 2 years ago, at 9% for 7 years. Peso mortagages were then running about 26% I think.

Walk into the main office of Banco Popular and ask them what is necessary to get a mortgage. Other dominican friends have told me that it is easier for a foreigner to get a mortgage, but that may just be misguided jealousy talking too.

Ari1

Jul 18, 2006
Banco popular is not that difficult to go with. I got a mortgage with them and I an a US citizen as well. They do the whole credit check thing and the interest rate now is kind of high but it can be done.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Scotia Bank

Scotia Bank came through for me with a Mortgage @ 17%
I paid them off within 7 months.
The Loansharks came out of the woodwork offering money as high as 4% a month.
Look around money is out there............

Larry A.K.A. Gringo