I have some questions....

mamadelle

Jul 10, 2006
I've been a casual lurker since I found this site...

here are my questions..

I want to attend a school in the DR to learn some Spanish, I already know of a few and contacted some of them. I wonder if a 2 week course is enough to really be able to conversate with people there?

My grandfather was Dominican(he died when I was 2) I've always wondered if I could go there(Santo Domingo) and possibly find out more information(like where exactly he was born). I also found out he had another family before he came to New York, it's possible I have some relatives....
unfortunately, my grandmother doesn't volunteer information about him..

does anyone have an idea how I could go about searching for information?

I know this is a long shot, but I appreciate any advice given...

Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Mamadelle: I seems that you have a difficult problem, especialy if your 'grandmother' doesn't want to help you..

Try to find out as much as you can from her, like where was he born and where did he live. You should know that it is very common for the men to leave one family here and start another one there.

Regarding the acquisition of usable Spanish. I think most people will tell you no, you cannot learn much in just two weeks.

If you know some Spanish you can certinly learn a lot in two weeks of total immersion, but i don't know your language level...

Try and give us some more information, and maybe we can help.

Cordially,

HB :D:D:D

mamadelle

Jul 10, 2006
more information

Thanks for replying, hillbilly

basically since I live in NYC, I know a little Spanish, and I do mean a little..

So I'm thinking, makes sense that 2 weeks isn't really enough especially from a beginner's level...

would it be better to take some courses here first?

Thanks

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I grew up speaking spanish with my grandfather..but he passed when i was about 15. I took some spanish in college..but dont use it every day here in nyc (even tho my partner is dominican).

When i get to the isle...i struggle with the language...but after a few days i can at least communicate effectively (far from proper spanish though).

I'd try taking a class here in nyc...then go on a Non All Inclusive trip so you have can test out what you've learned. Like i said..i can communicate and converse (there is no such word as "conversate")..but now i find myself asking my friends there for grammar and vocabulary help there all the time.

I dunno..i think a two weeks immersion class sounds shaddy to me.

TheOP

Jul 14, 2006
Somerville, MA
mamadelle,

I think it's possible to find information about your grandfather. I myself helped a Russian girl whose father is Dominican to locate him, even when she never met him and when all the information she had was his name.

Now, maybe it won't be that easy to find your grandfather, since he was born much longer ago than the Russian girl's father, a fact that makes it more difficult to find him, since at the time your grandfather lived personal information was not produced and stored at the rate it is nowadays.

You should collect all the information you have (let's hope it is accurate or at least close to reality) and find a local to help you come across with your grandfather’s information. Maybe something can be found in the General Archive of the Nation (www.agn.gov.do) or getting in contact with a local genealogy association. Something logical is that since this is a small country, which had a much lower population by the time your grandfather was born, it is very likely that someone knows someone who knew your grandfather, i.e., social connections are much less distant than in big countries.

About Spanish learning, I think that two weeks, no matter how intensive your learning is during this time, won't be enough to acquire oral communication skills, especially when you still haven't broken the threshold of getting familiar with the language. You could either try taking courses in NY or having a 3-month vacation period here, socializing as much as you can with locals; both with English-speaking ones, who will clear up many of the doubts you'll encounter, and with those who can't say 'Milky Way', as they will force you to test what you learn in the classroom.

Last edited: