bringing a 3rd grader to SD?

mgregoir

Jun 20, 2006
Hi,

You all have been so helpful in the past I decided to ask another question I have been struggling with.

One of my close friends has a daughter in the 3rd grade. My friend is rather impoverished and lives in a drug ridden and dangerous neighborhood here in the states. The reason we met is because I taught her daughter in the 1st grade and we became good friends. Her daughter and I are very close and she spends approximately 5 out of the 7 days a week at my house. I'll be teaching the 3rd grade in SD and recieve one free tuition as a result. Her mother and I were wondering if maybe I should take her with me. So my question is this...what is better, and international school in SD or a drug ridden and dangerous neighborhood with an F school in the US?

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Would her mom be going with her? If she is I would say why not try the international school. She could always go back to the ghetto.

mgregoir

Jun 20, 2006
No, her mother would not be joining us, she would be giving all legal guardianship to me.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Sounds like a tricky situation, but really worth considering for the sake of the girl.
If I remember correctly, our PIB is DR educated. Just in case somebody wanted to slam the system completely.
I attended a private school there in the late 60's, and went straight back in to private school in the US.
Reading is the great equalizer.
I'd move this to the legal forum, because Fabio could give advice, like legal guardianship, where is the father, etc.
Good luck with this.
We just had a 20 year old come to live with us so he could complete his High School Equivalency.
His family loves him. Just couldn't cope.
Now he's looking at Technical College.
The kids are worth it. IMO
mkohn