Bringing a child to SD

mgregoir

Jun 20, 2006
I posted a question about this in the living section and it was suggested that I post it in the legal section also. I am thinking of taking legal guardianship of a child. Her mother would not let me adopt her, but is willing to let me take guardianship of her so that she does not lose her parental rights. I'm moving to SD and I wanted to know all the legalities I will have to go through to bring her with me. If you need any extra information to help me just ask.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
A petition should be filed in Children?s Court (?Tribunal de Ni?os, Ni?as y Adolescentes?) outlining the facts of the matter. The parents will be called to appear before the Court. You will need a lawyer for this.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
From reading the other thread, it sounds like you are talking about bringing a child (US citizen) from the US to the DR.

If that's the case, I believe guardianship probably needs to be established in the US. Once that is done, you might need to go to the Dominican consulate in the US (with the child's parents) and get authorization to bring the child into and out of the DR.

I'm not sure what needs to be done in the DR.

I might be wrong, but I believe Se?or Guzman's advice to you was based on the child being Dominican.